A few reminders for the Nebraska fans on the ledge...

I am not giving up on Bo and the team, but we have a right to be disappointed. Our effort, with a few exceptions (Tmagic, Baker, Rex) was horrible Saturday. They were not ready to defend their turf.

I wouldn't put Rex in that Category, Baker maybe........I'm sure if T-Mart would have fumbled people would have personally wanted to sign his transfer papers!

...of the capital building or Oldfather Hall...because frankly, there aren't any other buildings in Lincoln tall enough.

1. With apologies to 1970, 1994, and 1997, the 1995 and 1971 teams are/were special for a reason--they only happen once every 30-40 years. By all rights, this gives Bo until 2035 to produce a team that can beat Sister Mary Immaculate of the Blind *and* the whole of the SEC by 50+ points. Until then, we will continue to have close calls, just like the 1970, 1994, and 1997 squads had.

2. Even Dr. Tom had down games where our superior lines and talent just didn't materialize--1992 Iowa State and the infamous 1997 Missouri come to mind. Sometimes we can overcome with sound coaching, and sometimes even God's own Dr. Tom couldn't even change how things are going.

3. We need to remember that these players are kids learning how to become men. Many of them, including some on our O-Line and backfield, couldn't smoke up or play Powerball (the lottery kind--not the A&M kind) until just a few months ago.

4. Bo is in his fourth year of coaching. Again, using the anointed St. Osborne the Pure as someone to measure against, Dr. Tom's 1976 results were as follows (with thanks to HuskerMax):

Date Opponent Site Result AP Rank Att.

NU/Opp

09/11 Louisiana St. Baton Rouge T 6-6 1/ 70,746

09/18 Indiana Bloomington W 45-13 8/ 41,289

09/25 Texas Christian Lincoln W 64-10 6/ 74,981

10/02 Miami Lincoln W 17-9 5/ 76,155

10/09 #Colorado Boulder W 24-12 6/ 53,538

10/16 #Kansas State-HC Lincoln W 51-0 3/ 76,150

10/23 #Missouri Lincoln L 24-34 3/17 76,051

10/30 #Kansas Lawrence W 31-3 9/ 58,050

11/06 #Oklahoma St. Lincoln W 14-10 9/13 76,272

11/13 #Iowa State Ames L 28-37 9/ 51,500

11/26 #Oklahoma Lincoln L 17-20 10/8 76,247

12/04 Hawaii Honolulu W 68-3 13/ 33,737

12/31 +Texas Tech* Houston W 27-24 13/9 48,618

In hindsight, it's no wonder Nebraska fans were ready to run Dr. Tom out on a rail to Boulder--he was horrible against unranked LSU, Miami, and of all things holy, Iowa State. (Note--flubbed this up originally and said La. Tech. Apologies to all 10 La Tech fans in existence.)

Were we to have the visionaries on this board back in 1976, we could have simply discarded with this dead weight Osborne and hired someone with a prolific offensive mind. [/sarcasm]

5. Pat Hill is a respected coach and tactician, folks. His Fresno State teams have beat better schools on their home turf. The man is building a legacy there, and in his 13 years, he's only had one (IIRC) losing season. And that's in spite of having to schedule the upper-crust BCS schools as non-cons to do it.

Give the man some credit--he's been doing this longer than Bo and Carl have, and yet Bo/Carl were able to overcome.

6. Rome wasn't built in a day, and after Nero's reign, it took about four to six years (some say more) to right the ship known as the Roman Empire. Like Rome and their efforts to wipe Nero's existence away from the annals of history, we're still feeling the effects of our Nero to this day--our fragility as a fanbase still exhibits this, not unlike the political fragility of Rome that followed Nero's ouster.

7. If you've ever been in the bottom of a dogpile, it's very hard to breathe. Let's not dogpile on Bo, Beck, Carl, et al--no one has fumbled the ball just yet.

Just some thoughts. Hope it takes someone off the proverbial ledge, if for but a moment.

Common sense and rational thinking will get you nowhere on Huskerboard. But I absolutely agree with you.

Thanks. And the dogpile comment still holds true--until Michigan State clinches (doubtful, the way they've played on the road and with Iowa finding itself once again...), we're still in this. We simply need to win our tiebreaker game against Michigan, take Penn State down, and seal the deal with Iowa--all still entirely possible.

And if we honestly go 10-2 and *don't* make the Big 10 title game, it would, if anything, validate our belief that the Big 10 is a much tougher league than the one we came from, which will only make us better in the longrun.

we're at a place where we can compete with anyone. BO is putting in place a program that can average 10 wins a year. if you aren't happy, it's not because of husker football, it's because you are out of cymbalta.

With the inflation of number of games played per year, would this be on par, better, or worse than what Dr. Tom managed with nine wins/season?

that is a good point. i want to say on par. tough to say because i do not remember the quality of the big 8. i know it was pretty stout in the 90's. but at the same time, if you compare it to programs nowadays, only the top schools (in good conferences) manage an average of 9-10 wins a season.

I don't know, I think some of these fans on the ledge should probably go ahead and take the old fashioned way off and jump. It would seriously limit and shorten up these many meltdown threads.

Yes, but are they still restricting access to the top of Oldfather Hall and the Capital Building? I don't think that jumping from the Nelnet building downtown will result in the desired effect...

I don't know, I think some of these fans on the ledge should probably go ahead and take the old fashioned way off and jump. It would seriously limit and shorten up these many meltdown threads.

Yes, but are they still restricting access to the top of Oldfather Hall and the Capital Building? I don't think that jumping from the Nelnet building downtown will result in the desired effect...

I don't know about that. I knew a guy who fell off an 8' ladder and got some pretty serious brain damage. I'm thinking Elephant Hall might be just high enough.

And if we honestly go 10-2 and *don't* make the Big 10 title game, it would, if anything, validate our belief that the Big 10 is a much tougher league than the one we came from, which will only make us better in the longrun.

Not so sure I agree with that. I can think of numerous times that a two loss team didn't make the Big 12 title game. In fact, a number of times a ONE loss team didn't make the title game.

Not so sure I agree with that. I can think of numerous times that a two loss team didn't make the Big 12 title game. In fact, a number of times a ONE loss team didn't make the title game.

RT???

How the hell are ya?? Hope ya hang around for awhile......have a beer. Relax......

GBR!!

RT???

How the hell are ya?? Hope ya hang around for awhile......have a beer. Relax......

GBR!!

Howdy bshirt! I'll be hanging around as long as quality posters like yourself are here. ;) If you need to get ahold of me inbetween posts, I'll be at the bar. :B)

Okey Doke, compadre'.........very good!