BCS computer has Texas ranked #1 this week

NUance

BCS computer poll ranks Texas as top team in the country

Dallas Morning News; Published: 11 September 2011 09:23 PM

The Colley Matrix, one of six computer polls used in college football’s BCS Standings, has a surprising team sitting atop its rankings this week – the Texas Longhorns.

LINK

They have Nebraska ranked #43. Okla State #4. OU is #32. LINK

Why is this being reported? I thought the BCS polls didn't come out till like week 6.

The BCS rankings that are released later in the season are a combination of many different rankings. As far as I can tell, this is just the BCS computer's ranking.

Yeah, this is just one of six computer rankings used in addition to the polls in a formula to get the BCS ranking. At this point in the season it produces nonsensical results. Like ranking the Whorns #1. And the Sooners #35.

That's the one thing I've always appreciated about Sagarin. He's very honest about the idiocy of the computer polls this early in the season. He admits that his don't really tell the tale until late in the season because of the small sample size of the data being put in. He also produces two different polls, one that includes his entire formula, and one that's tweaked for what the BCS requires. Or at least he used to... haven't followed the computer polls quite as closely in recent years.