Carr,Price,Smith > Martinez

Of the guys you mentioned, the only one with markedly better stats passing is Ganz. Ganz was a pocket passer who SUCKED running the ball. Ganz ran a very different offense and was a VERY different kind of QB.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Ganz SUCKED running the ball. Ganz had the wheels to keep teams honest, but would admittedly never be the center of an option based running attack. Back when he was recruited, he was seen as a "passer that could run" as opposed to Taylor who is a "runner who can (kind of) pass." Zac Taylor, on the other hand, was someone who I would say sucked running the ball.

Ganz was not a fast guy at all, but when given the chance he ran like his ass was on fire.

I tried to read this entire thread, but I just couldn't. It all boils down to the same thing...people who are convinced beyond any further rumination that Taylor Martinez is a marginal quarterback or worse, and people who see Taylor as an athletic weapon who has some flaws in his game coupled with huge play potential.

I think a huge amount of the negativity aimed at Taylor has to do with his personality. There were things that came out last year (some unsubstantiated, some accurate) about Taylor that revolved around off-field issues that I think permanently etched the image of Taylor as a sullen, self-centered miscreant in some folks eyes, and they take this personal dislike for Taylor and apply it to every single little thing he does. If he breaks a huge run, well, hell, that's what he's supposed to do and furthermore that's ALL he can do. If he fumbles (and he puts the ball on the ground too much, that's just a fact) then it's, "See! Dammit! This guy is worse than David Carr's brother!"

It all seems skewed away from logic and centered heavily in the emotional arena of thought. And if any of you are married like I am, you know that Emotion Town is heavy on hyperbolic exaggerated extremes, and light on reasoned discourse.

Taylor Martinez is not Joe Montana tearing apart my beloved Broncos. But the comments I'm reading about Taylor being "the worst quarterback on the field in every game we play" is baffling to me. Simply baffling. How many highlight plays has this kid accumulated through four games into his sophomore season already? How many defensive coordinators look at what Taylor can do and think, "man, we've gotta contain this kid. He can put 6 on the board before I inhale/exhale twice?" Plenty. Plenty. He's dangerous with the ball in his hands; he has special big play potential that you aren't going to see in our conference outside of Shoelace.

He had a lame duck coordinator last year who tried to bake a cake consisting of a mashed up WCO/Spread hybrid that made the oven catch on fire. He has a new coordinator this year. And we're 4-0, and it's been the offense that has carried this team to that undefeated record to this point, and some of you are trying to convince me that our starting quarterback (who has been a legitimate horse for one Heisman race already in his career, in his first season as a starter) is the worst QB we've seen on the field this season in our games. Again....just....baffling.

• Fire 3

I was looking at some stats and Frazier had 44% and 48% completion rates his first two seasons. A lot of college QB's stats, particularly completion % are skewed by screens and other high % short passes. Those are situations where we're still running the ball most of the time.

I was looking at some stats and Frazier had 44% and 48% completion rates his first two seasons. A lot of college QB's stats, particularly completion % are skewed by screens and other high % short passes. Those are situations where we're still running the ball most of the time.

I think part of it--with both Frazier and Martinez--is that our running QBs don't throw much of the short stuff to boost their completion percentage. The other part of it is that they are just not great passers.