McKewon was lowest AP voter for NU at #24

NUance

Yeah, but in Sam's case I think he has shown himself to be a very fair, reasonable, and informed writer. I sense zero agenda out of Sam, other than to objectively do the job he is paid to do, (and do it well) which is not the same impression I get from specifically two other writers on the OWH staff.

We ain't talking about Barfknecht voting Michigan #1 over Nebraska in '97 here.

Very much agree with this. I think Sam has us a little low, but not egregiously so. And we haven't exactly lit the world on fire on either side of the ball to MAKE him rank us higher, either. Force his hand. Blow out a good team and make him raise us up there.

Some people whine that NU doesn't get enough respect from the media. But if you look at our poll history - including the 2001 ranking that got us in the NC game - we are always a couple notches higher simply because we ARE Nebraska, and pollsters either a) respect our legacy or b) get kinda lazy. In the past few years we've been ranked pretty high based on expections and legacy, only to disappoint in big games. If you're a betting man, Nebraska hasn't been a great bet of late.

I think it's both more accurate and more fun for Nebraska to have the lower ranking they've earned and to start surprising people, than to be constantly measured against Nebraska expectations of old and always be in the position to disappoint.

Sam McKewon has it right. And like the rest of us, he's rooting for this team.

+1

Climbing the ranks is like playing a video game and there's always the potential for poll drama, which fuels offseason forum discussion, which in turn makes the time go by until the spring game. :thumbs

Yeah, this was one of the most awesome games ever to watch as a fan, but I think we were more than one-touchdown favorites on OSU and we were supposed to roll a very depleted team. Instead, we first show cased a ton of weaknesses in a disastrously bad first half.

Just as bad as the first half was, so the second half was good. I think it should leave one optimistic that the team could build on it and go on a tear in the coming weeks - that they will earn themselves a much higher ranking in the coming weeks - but with this game, I don't think we have yet.