McKewon was lowest AP voter for NU at #24

NUance

Sam McKewon’s Top 25, Week five

BY SAM MCKEWON | 9:34 AM, MONDAY, OCT. 3 | POSTED IN BIG RED TODAY

Nebraska sits at No. 24 in my Associated Press top 25 this week. That’s lower than any other AP voter. Color me very surprised.

LINK

McKewon voted us #24 in the AP poll. Wow, thanks a lot Sam. You've been my favorite local writer for quite a while now. But this week you won my Pollstalker vote for bad AP voter of the week.

Pollstalker: LINK

I don't think it's a kneejerk reaction, really.

Most polls are slow to react, especially when it's a top 10 team. Sam is the best local writer covering the Huskers, and he really has a pretty good beat on the team, in my opinion. I think he's being cruel - but fair. He looks at this team and sees a borderline Top 25 team. Do any of us see different? This team can prove us different, but right now, it's a fair but biting assessment.

• Fire 2

I don't think it's a kneejerk reaction, really.

Most polls are slow to react, especially when it's a top 10 team. Sam is the best local writer covering the Huskers, and he really has a pretty good beat on the team, in my opinion. I think he's being cruel - but fair. He looks at this team and sees a borderline Top 25 team. Do any of us see different? This team can prove us different, but right now, it's a fair but biting assessment.

We'll find out in six weeks if he really has a pretty good beat on the team. When we play Michigan. WHo Sam has ranked 13 spots higher than us.

Saunders nailed it. This is a kneejerk reaction, which isn't any better than a lot of the fans. I expected better from Sam.

Nebraska sits at No. 24 in my Associated Press top 25 this week. That’s lower than any other AP voter. Color me very surprised.

LINK

McKewon voted us #24 in the AP poll. Wow, thanks a lot Sam. You've been my favorite local writer for quite a while now. But this week you won my Pollstalker vote for bad AP voter of the week.

No offense . . . but McKewon might be being generous ranking us in the Top 25. Before Saturday I said that I thought we were a borderline top 25 team http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/54276-week-two-polls-released/page__view__findpost__p__811417 . . . after Saturday I think we are closer to a borderline Top 35 team.

If you think McKewon is being unfair you're probably not paying attention.

I'm not really commenting on his overall polling abilities though, or where he's ranked other teams. Just where he has put us. Really, I think it's about right. There are glaring weaknesses right now being exposed, and they need to be shored up in a big hurry, if we want to to get in the top 20.

I can't speak for Sam, but I do not think this ranking is nearly as outrageous as some of you do. I think around 20 is fair. Sam is perhaps on the harsh side, but just a little. IMO, anyway.

LINK

No offense . . . but McKewon might be being generous ranking us in the Top 25. Before Saturday I said that I thought we were a borderline Top 25 team . . . after Saturday I think we are closer to a borderline Top 35 team.

No offense taken. It's just that I don't expect a local Nebraska writer to be the outlier on the low side. If he had voted us lower than average I could see--say #18 to #20 range. But for McKewon to think worse of the Huskers than any other writer in the entire nation voting in the poll, well, that's just unacceptable. To me anyway.

LINK

No offense . . . but McKewon might be being generous ranking us in the Top 25. Before Saturday I said that I thought we were a borderline Top 25 team . . . after Saturday I think we are closer to a borderline Top 35 team.

No offense taken. It's just that I don't expect a local Nebraska writer to be the outlier on the low side. If he had voted us lower than average I could see--say #18 to #20 range. But for McKewon to think worse of the Huskers than any other writer in the entire nation voting in the poll, well, that's just unacceptable. To me anyway.

Why is that unacceptable, exactly? If he has his finger closer to the pulse of Husker football than writers from other states shouldn't he vote according to what he sees and hears? I'd prefer McKewon remain as objective as possible in his coverage.

• Fire 2

LINK

Why is that unacceptable, exactly? If he has his finger closer to the pulse of Husker football than writers from other states shouldn't he vote according to what he sees and hears? I'd prefer McKewon remain as objective as possible in his coverage.

And here all this time I thought local sportswriters were supposed to inform and entertain us, while generally supporting our local teams. Thank you for enlightening me that Samuel McKewon should be at the front of the pitchforks and torches mob. Since he’s Cornhusker omniscient and all.