Presser

Right: if you held a different opinion on Taylor, you were shown to be either a fairweather bandwagoner, or misinformed.

If you were calling for him to be benched or saying that he could never be a QB at this level... Yeah.

I don't recall you doing either of those things zoogies, as much as you've questioned Taylor's play and Bo's decisions, even last week you were consistently reasonable and in support of staying the course, and trusting in Taylor and Bo/Beck to make the correct adjustments and improve. So I'm not talking about you. There were plenty others though, some of whom you were arguing with, who were not nearly as patient.

Sipple is the staff's mouthpiece. It's completely unsurprising coming from Sip. I don't think he represents the majority of the media opinion, though. Bo is rough, not just against Dirk. See that post-practice interview from last week.

Similarly Dirk has it out for the staff, but his article does not deserve to be vilified the way it has been. That outburst was more about Dirk's history of articles and his history with the staff than it was about the one that came out Friday in my opinion. You know what though, not worth talking about. I know it's a battle that can't be won and I won't waste my breath. Bo has drawn the lines: you're either on his side, or on Dirk's side.

I am just disappointed that after the huge positive that was that tOSU win, we need to have battle lines drawn out like that between fans, especially when Dirk's article echoed the sentiment of much of the fanbase. Just read the pre-tOSU comments under it.

I support Bo (almost feel like I have to say this disclaimer to avoid being jumped), but you know what? Dirk's article was not trash either. I'll stand by that. The anger against it...I think a lot of it is a result of the HC's evident anger against it. Nonetheless, you can support both Bo and agree with the article.

This just saddens me. The day Husker fans choose a hack writer over their own team..... :dunno

You go ahead and stand by Dirk. I'll stand by the players and coaches.

Good luck to you.

• Fire 1

Sipple is the staff's mouthpiece. It's completely unsurprising coming from Sip. I don't think he represents the majority of the media opinion, though. Bo is rough, not just against Dirk. See that post-practice interview from last week.

Similarly Dirk has it out for the staff, but his article does not deserve to be vilified the way it has been. That outburst was more about Dirk's history of articles and his history with the staff than it was about the one that came out Friday in my opinion. You know what though, not worth talking about. I know it's a battle that can't be won and I won't waste my breath. Bo has drawn the lines: you're either on his side, or on Dirk's side.

I am just disappointed that after the huge positive that was that tOSU win, we need to have battle lines drawn out like that between fans, especially when Dirk's article echoed the sentiment of much of the fanbase. Just read the pre-tOSU comments under it.

I support Bo (almost feel like I have to say this disclaimer to avoid being jumped), but you know what? Dirk's article was not trash either. I'll stand by that. The anger against it...I think a lot of it is a result of the HC's evident anger against it. Nonetheless, you can support both Bo and agree with the article.

This just saddens me. The day Husker fans choose a hack writer over their own team..... :dunno

Good luck to you.

This is pretty similar to the Barfknect (sorry can't remember the correct spelling of his name) thread, why does it have to either/or, there can be a middle ground here. Obviously the article must have been bad (I really should go read it). Why is it that if someone doesn't condone the way Bo acted in the press conference they automatically don't support him or the team.

It really isn't that black and white.

• Fire 1

Actually, for many, it really IS that black and white. You either support the staff and players, or you side with the hacks. I agree with Knapp on this. I also read Dirk's article a couple of times... and do think it comes off as a hack-job with an agenda. And he has shown quite a bit over the last couple of years that he has the propensity to create controversy where none lies. I will give Dirk this little amount of credit: The article about Brown and Ameer was an incredible story. It was good and a bit surprising to see that come from Dirk. But the vast majority of his articles are nothing like that. They go after something that literally IS NOT THERE. There was no question who would continue to be our quarterback. It had been stated undeniably over and over again, and why it would be rehashed by a so-called sports journalist is beyond me. HUGE difference between having a forum live the World-Herald and making statements on a bulletin board/message board on the internet.

Zoogs, I understand where you're coming from. But I don't agree with a basic premise you start with... you stated:

especially when Dirk's article echoed the sentiment of much of the fanbase.

I think you may be too insulated to the world of internet media and vocal critics. I grew up and lived in small-town Nebraska. Small-town Nebraska, a vast majority of the fan base, doesn't react that way, and certainly doesn't give that kind of credence to a quarterback controversy. I also think there are a silent big majority out there who may not speak up when these types of comments are made, but who you'll hear loudly support the team in no uncertain terms after the team has won. I also believe that the most vocal are usually those criticizing. I think many find it not worth the time and effort it takes to argue it within an internet forum. I think those that back Bo and this program unconditionally in this state are in a much greater majority than what people realize, would have had a LOT of problems with Dirk's article, and had no problem with Bo in the post-game interview. Just my feel and take after having grown up around and lived in both metro and rural Nebraska.

At this point, I think its time to move on from this battle. The lines are drawn, and people clearly know where they and others stand. Let's enjoy and celebrate a great victory!

Good luck to you.

I'm joining you, knapp.

This whole thing is as annoying as chickenpox. We just beat Ohio State, so why does it feel like we all just watched that scene in Pet Sematary when the little kid gets killed by the semi truck?

Did Dirk write for the Daily Nebraskan? If its him whom I'm thinking of I didn't think much of his writing then either. He's getting a little carried away trying to make a name for himself. Barfy's act is tired as well. The only good writer at the OWH is McKewon and hopefully he hits the big time soon.

Good luck to you.

My whole point: it's not an either-or thing. I stand by Bo as I have said, but I choose not to be livid over that article, because it's not worth being livid over. But go ahead, you can keep drawing those battle lines. The idea that if you thought Dirk's article wasn't garbage, you are against Bo and against the team...is what saddens me.

And Chuck, I was basing that on the comments I read on Dirk's article before the Ohio State game. A lot of people agreed with him. Or at the least didn't consider it anti-team, the way it's being portrayed now. Of course - we can sweepingly proclaim all those fans who made those comments as anti-team.

But of course. Hate on Dirk, or you hate on the team. Good luck rallying people to your "side", knapp, I think you'll have no trouble. I wonder why sides even need to be drawn. I thought that we were all fans who supported the team. Silly me.

• Fire 2

Good luck to you.

My whole point: it's not an either-or thing. I stand by Bo as I have said, but I choose not to be livid over that article, because it's not worth being livid over. You can keep drawing these battle lines. The idea that if you thought Dirk's article wasn't garbage, you are against Bo and against the team...is what saddens me.

But of course. Hate on Dirk, or you hate on the team.

You can try to explain it away any way you want. That fencepost gets a little splintery after a while.

• Fire 1

I understood that you were at least basing it in part on that zoog, along with your reading of this and other boards. My point is there are a lot of people out there that don't bother to comment in venues like this, because they ultimately don't see the point. And it's just as easy to point to the comments after Barfknecht's column today, to say how many people didn't like Dirk's column and didn't agree with him. The numbers when I was over there were approximately 40 comments, and maybe 2 were kind or in agreement with Barfknecht/Chatelain's point of view. You're criticizing those who are over-generalizing those who are critical and yet still support the team, and then overgeneralize yourself about the numbers that were in support of Dirk's commentary. I'm just saying that the percentage of the fanbase believing or agreeing with those criticisms isn't quite as big as what you try to make them out to be.

I agree with you that I don't think it's nearly as black and white about hating one or the other. Happens to be, that is my point of view, or at least a strong dislike. I can't honestly say I hate anyone... not in my nature. I get testy and may argue... but hate comes on pretty strong. :) Anyhow... another thread, another tangent. :D I just don't like the lack of professionalism I see out of those two 'reporters'. I think it's abyssmal, and wish the World-Herald would think twice about it. Not going to happen, as they sell papers and get hits... but still...

This is getting ridiculous. There isn't a war here and the overdramatic language you keep using to describe the situation is wearing thin. "...says a lot about where your loyalties lie", "choose ___ over their own team."

I have nothing to explain, and neither does anyone else who didn't think Dirk's article was anti-team.

Bo and Dirk have it out for each other, but Dirk's just doing his job and Bo is doing his, too. Quite well, so far.

• Fire 1

This is getting ridiculous. There isn't a war here and the overdramatic language you keep using to describe the situation is wearing thin. "...says a lot about where your loyalties lie", "choose ___ over their own team."

I have nothing to explain, and neither does anyone else who didn't think Dirk's article was anti-team.

I find it extremely humorous that my "overly dramatic language" draws your ire, but Dirk's doesn't. Just pretend I'm writing an "opinion piece" in a newspaper. Then you'll love every word. Right?

• Fire 1

And that's worse than embracing a reporter who is doing his job so poorly that other guys in the press box are calling him out for "yellow journalism," and other reporters are applauding his public dressing-down?

There were a million ways Dork could have written that article, and another million ways to have responded in that presser. He chose to instigate and dump gas on the fire he created. I have zero problem calling that out. If you think I'm the bad guy for doing this, that's on you.

• Fire 1

The fans can take a middle-ground to the article if they want, but Bo never will. Bo sees the world in black-and-white: "You're either on the team, or you're not. You're with us, or you're against us. You either lost faith in us and left the stadium or turned the TV off, or you stuck with us and helped us tough out the win. I've got the players' backs, they've got my back, and if you don't have our backs too, you're not with us."

Whether or not anyone agrees or disagrees with Dirk's article, it would take someone nearly blind to see how it doesn't completely contradict Bo's worldview and how he tries to run his program. I still think it's fine for Dirk to write that article (although a few moments, as always with Dirk, were reeking of a condescending, self-righteous, know-it-all tone that wrote off anything coaches and players said as coach-speak and leaned on social media for its position), but it's also fine to call out Dirk once he writes it.

Dirk didn't have the programs' back, which isn't his job, but he backed it into a corner, put more pressure on Martinez by saying that his success or failure would decide his head coach's career, and he still tried to concoct a QB controversy when the coaches have publicly stated that there is none more times than Chris Christie has said he's not running for president.

Bo's not a press secretary, he doesn't have to be nice to the press if he doesn't want to be, and Bo certainly has the right to tell a reporter that he didn't like an article, which is basically all that happened the other night.

• Fire 1