transition to B1G

I heard a comment from ESPNU regarding transitioning to a new conference. It seems as NU has had some struggles and related that to Utah being picked high in the PAC12 and also struggling. It amounted to playing in a new conference is not so easy.

In the Big12 NU had an identity. NU had a defense that would play soft, frustrating offenses used to scoring quickly. NU had a offense that was terrible, and would attempt to limit mistakes.

As NU transitions to the B1G the defenses is facing poor offenses that are quite willing to pick up 5 yards patiently. I noticed a defense last night that seemed to be better at the point of attack with a larger Chase Rome at DT and Alonzo Whaley at LB. It also seems NU has an offense that is in the top half of the conference.

This is sort of vague, but I guess my point is NU in the B1G is changing it's identity. I find it exciting to see this develop.

It's also a result of building for one thing then being thrown to another. Lets face it, up until last year the staff's recruiting has loaded up on db's to defend the spread. Lets face it, our lb's and dl's are not YET set up to defend this kind ball. Even our "experienced" players are re-learning. Throw in the fact the new faces period in the secondary and a new position coach at every level of the D and it takes time, but I was very VERY encouraged by what I saw last night. The defense played with more tenacity than they did all year. Yes, Miller going down was a difference, but I wont say that had he not gotten hurt we wouldnt have won. We had already stopped them twice. I saw great communication before each play and excitement from everyone.

transition? DE's getting sucked inside are DE's getting sucked inside. Spread or Power Big12 or Big10. If Crick turns a play in from the middle to the outside- he has done his job. If DE turns the QB back inside he has done his job. If the DE gets stuck inside- it opens a huge lane and makes rFR QBs look Heisman like. Its called assignment football.

Also, they are just as unfamiliar with us as we are them. We are a young team Secondary to Head Coach experience. Lets give these guys some time to grow.

I think the coaching staff recognized that they needed to size up at LB this week, and that is why we saw Eric Martin move back to his old position this week and start at OLB instead of Sean Fisher. I loved that move, though it would have been even better had Martin been left at that position in the first place and also if he were as light as he was.

We'd be worse off in the Big 12 right now than we are in the Big 10. Our secondary play has been hurting us more than the front 7, and as bad as we've looked in the Big 10 so far, the Big 12 is far superior to the Big 10 when it comes to exploiting secondaries that don't know what they're doing. Seriously, you think Russell Wilson and Wisconsin made us look bad? Imagine what Landry Jones and OU's no huddle offense would have done...

I don't think it's a matter of us making adjustments to the conference - we just need to execute our game. The offense showed that last night against a good Ohio State defense.

We'd be worse off in the Big 12 right now than we are in the Big 10. Our secondary play has been hurting us more than the front 7, and as bad as we've looked in the Big 10 so far, the Big 12 is far superior to the Big 10 when it comes to exploiting secondaries that don't know what they're doing. Seriously, you think Russell Wilson and Wisconsin made us look bad? Imagine what Landry Jones and OU's no huddle offense would have done...

I don't think it's a matter of us making adjustments to the conference - we just need to execute our game. The offense showed that last night against a good Ohio State defense.

Please tell me what you were watching. Seriously, no joke.

The OSU LBs are pathetic sans Sweat. Sabino is a joke.

Travis Howard is brutal and we can't tackle.

This is easily the worst defense I've seen at OSU since 2001.

Please tell me what you were watching. Seriously, no joke.

The OSU LBs are pathetic sans Sweat. Sabino is a joke.

Travis Howard is brutal and we can't tackle.

This is easily the worst defense I've seen at OSU since 2001.

SHHHHH... we're trying to feel good over here...