GameDay questions from an MSU fan

Hi Everyone,

MSU fan here that will be traveling down to Lincoln for what should be a great game on Saturday. Anyways had a few questions for you. Do you have any recommendations on what to do for parking, I've read there is virtually no public parking around the stadium. Also if you have any other suggestions for bars or any other must sees around the area on gameday I would be very appreciative. Once again thanks for any information you can provide and welcome to the Big Ten, it is a pleasure to have a historic program like Nebraska in our conference.

And one other thing... Go Green!!!

Hi Everyone,

MSU fan here that will be traveling down to Lincoln for what should be a great game on Saturday. Anyways had a few questions for you. Do you have any recommendations on what to do for parking, I've read there is virtually no public parking around the stadium. Also if you have any other suggestions for bars or any other must sees around the area on gameday I would be very appreciative. Once again thanks for any information you can provide and welcome to the Big Ten, it is a pleasure to have a historic program like Nebraska in our conference.

And one other thing... Go Green!!!

parking isn't bad, just get there somewhat early and expect to pay something. there is good parking by the train tracks. also, just walk around downtown, you'll find plenty of cool places to hang out. i'm sure knapplc will give you a more detailed explanation. too bad the game is so early, probably not much time to tailgate and hangout.

Just threw this together for a visual aid.

G7yCW.jpg

The Green streets is all free parking if you can show up early enough. It usually gets full 2 hours before the game.

The Red is the typical student housing with most of us selling parking. Prices are usually $10 and more than likely a glass of drink.

There are also several parking garages around the campus that have available parking, usually for anywhere between $15 to $20. For example, the right side of that diagram has a yellow street which is Vine Street. On the corner of 17th and Vine are two very large dorm buildings Abel and Sandoz, and just behind them (on 19th and Vine) is a parking garage. There's also one on the corner 16th and R, and one on the corner of 14th and Salt Creek Roadway (also on the map).

As far as places to go/things to do, the city is your oyster. O Street is your quintessential college bar street with tons of places to go. There are also several good places to go in an area downtown known as the Haymarket, just south of the stadium. Some restaurants to consider would be Lazlo's and Misty's. Given it's a morning game, however, I don't know if these places are even going to be open before it's time to head to the stadium. Therefore, hang out in Lincoln after the game. Win or lose, you should be treated very hospitably and with respect. We have our share of knuckleheads, but we tend to have positive reviews pop up on this board far more often than negative. Husker fans talking to you randomly, wishing you good luck, offering you beer and a place to hang out, etc. are not myths. Collectively, and I truly believe this, we have some of the best fans you'll ever meet.

Come back to the board and let us know how everything went after the weekend.

Everywhere there is a parking lot, there is good tailgating to be found, North, West and South of the stadium. Arrive early and just stroll around, you will find your self with food and a strong buzz before the game kicks off. I can't say I've ever seen a group of visiting fans treated poorly around the tailgates unless you don't fancy the particular beer/drink the Husker fans offer you... Enjoy the stay and the atmosphere, its pretty darn good. And of course GBR!!!

Though we don't have many home games left this season, I thought this may be a good idea... I've noticed that every week we play at home (especially this season, being in a new conference with Lincoln 1st timers every week), there is a thread similar to this one, started by a fan of which ever team is visiting that week. Maybe we could create a sticky (I think that's what it's called... One of those threads that is always at the top of the main page) that contains all that info they keep asking for.... Things like Must See Attractions, Good Bars, Parking info, etc...

Being a Husker fan from California who hasn't made the pilgrimage to Memorial Stadium, I wouldn't be able to contribute, but if any one would like to take the initiative, I think this would be pretty helpful to visitors to Lincoln

Since it'll be Halloween weekend if your into the haunted houses or anything like that, then go see Eagle Hollow Haunts. It's not in Lincoln though but not to far of a drive either. We have 3 haunted houses, karaoke, concessions, fire pits and monster truck rides. For more information you can check out the website (click here) for more information.

Looks like most everyone is giving you good advice spartyfan, enjoy your time in Lincoln and let us know how it goes. Stick around after our game and add to the board if you'd like. It's nice having outsiders around to put things into perspective, we tend to look through rose-colored glasses most times.