Offense

Ross with his 4.5 speed is just enough to make him dangerous, and IMO, shorter RBs can be an asset as they hide behind blockers, (Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders).

Yeah? To bad those 2 guys you mentioned were behind some of the greatest offensive lines in football. For example Emmitt behind an offensive line for the Cowboys, that won 3 superbowls in 4 years at Dallas. When you have receivers who can strech the field, you have more then just a RB to worry about. When you have receivers who can strech the field AND a mobile QB, that makes it even easier for a guy like Darren Sproles for example to rack up some huge numbers. Look what happened to Sproles last year when Roberson and his receivers graduated.

:yeah

Exactly!!! But I thought that speed isnt important???? Youre contradicting yourself, again.

How are you going to stretch the field w/out speed at wr?? Mobile qb, now there's a novel idea, where have I heard that before???? :wacko:

Because they're not fast/explosive/great athletes. Exactly why we can't throw the deep ball.

Exactly, we have no receiver who can catch an 8-yard route make a guy or two miss and take it 50 yards.

Disagree. What about Lucky, L Jackson, Hardy, Bowman--some of these "great recruits" we have heard so much about??

If THESE guys are not exlposive/good enough to break a big gain (these guys all supposedly run legit 4.4 40's) then I guarentee some of the WRs that are being targeted wont be able to, either (guys like Holt who run a 4.6-4.7).

Don't be naive. You know as well as I do that the guys you mention are fresh out of high school. You can't be downplaying the hype to these guys during recruiting time and then come back during the year and say "Oh I thought they were supposed to be the bomb!"

There is a difference between having 4.3 speed and being able to make people miss after catching an 8 yard out.

Dude, while half the people on this board were saying: "Lucky is the next Peterson" "Lucky is Reggie Bush" and "Bowman is one-and-gone," I was the lone voice of reason. I was the one telling you all to give it time, that its gonna take time for these guys to adjust to Div I play.

Im just trying to prove a point. Some of you all (Im not pointing you out personally) need to come to grips with it.

We could of run on them, other teams have.

Did you watch our O-line play at all? Once we fell behind 21-3, there was no way we could catch up running ball. PASSING IS NOT THE DEVIL. No matter what people in Hastings say :thumbs

:dis

NU had its best rushing effort last week, and Mizzou was weak against the run. Maybe when down 21-3 you need to pass more, but when the game was 24 all at half, you have to come out and try to establish the run.

BTW, the running game can be explosive if you run the right schemes, as it sure got gome quick scores for Mizzou :thumbs

The problem with the O(this game) was not the receivers, IMO it was the O-Line. You could have WRs that were 6.5 and ran 4 flat and it wouldn't change that Taylor couldn't throw to them while lying on his back.

When Taylor is repeatedly getting clobbered and the offense is moving backwards because of stupid penalties, it doesn't make much difference that there is no home run threat. Chances are, if we had a guy that was a home run threat, Taylor would get sacked before he got the ball to him, or the line would make a dumb penalty to negate the play anyways.

While Im not gonna disagree with you guys at all, Taylor also seems to hold the ball for along time on some plays. I dunno if the plays are that long in developing, or if he is doing something wrong, or due to indecision.

Also, he seemed to make more bad decisions Saturday, more badly thrown balls. The was also one play where he was hit and as he was going down, the ball popped out and hit the defender in the head, but the refs said his arm was going forward. IMO, it could have very easily been called a fumble.

The problem with the O(this game) was not the receivers, IMO it was the O-Line. You could have WRs that were 6.5 and ran 4 flat and it wouldn't change that Taylor couldn't throw to them while lying on his back.

When Taylor is repeatedly getting clobbered and the offense is moving backwards because of stupid penalties, it doesn't make much difference that there is no home run threat. Chances are, if we had a guy that was a home run threat, Taylor would get sacked before he got the ball to him, or the line would make a dumb penalty to negate the play anyways.

While Im not gonna disagree with you guys at all, Taylor also seems to hold the ball for along time on some plays. I dunno if the plays are that long in developing, or if he is doing something wrong, or due to indecision.

Also, he seemed to make more bad decisions Saturday, more badly thrown balls. The was also one play where he was hit and as he was going down, the ball popped out and hit the defender in the head, but the refs said his arm was going forward. IMO, it could have very easily been called a fumble.

I would agree that at times, Taylor does hold the ball to long. He knows it. He says it every week in PC's almost. Not sure why he keeps doing it, but it's probably a different game with linebackers breathing down your neck.

Jerry Rice didnt run a 4.3 or even a 4.4. Neither does Mike Williams, neither does Hines Ward, neither does Issac Bruce. There is a difference between being able to run a fly route past a cornerback and taking a 4 yard hitch play and turning it into a 40 yard play, and certain receivers are better at one or the other. Randy Moss, because of his good height, great leaping ability, and unbelievable hands is good at just running down the sidelines and making a catch. I have never seen him take a slant route 60 yards for a touchdown, or even really run a slant route for that matter. Terrel Owens on the other hand is nearly unstoppable in the open field and is a tremendous yac type player. Both are great. The point is that the only guy we have on our team that has shown the ability to make people miss in the open field thus far has been Cory Ross, and we dont have a 6'4 wide receiver with a 42" verticle that has great hands, and more importantly HAS SHOWN IT IN PRACTICE!!!! We are not at the practices, the kids are. If Leon Jackson cant catch, he cant catch, so throwing him out there, even if he runs by the coverage, and having him drop it wouldnt accomplish much. Marlon Lucky gets in about four times a game where he runs an out and up, but every time it has been against a cover two, and he hasnt gotten open yet. Hardy has proven that he is consistantly inconsistant and drops alot of passes, but he has plays designed for him and the deep ball as well. What it comes down to is that anyone who has watched a game not on TV should know that on most pass plays there is at least one receiver down field, but either they are covered (and I dont care how fast you are a safety with 15 yards of help and underneath coverage is not likely to let you get behind them), or are slightly open and Taylor doesnt have enough trust in them to throw them the ball. The new guys need to develop that trust before their going to see a pigskin coming there way from Taylor, and that is developed in practice.

Because they're not fast/explosive/great athletes. Exactly why we can't throw the deep ball.

Hardy is supposed to be a burner. Brooks is supposed to be the prototypical receiver we need. Bowman is our next lockdown corner. At least these were the recruiting reports. We had the #3 recruiting class so you can't say we don't have athletes. Hell at least give it a shot. Maybe we can catch a few interference calls.

It takes time look at texas they had a top 10 recruiting class 5 years in a row most years number 1, just getting one class doesn't turn the program around it will take a couple of years.

Thanks to Frank

dedhoarse Franks gone, let it go. This staff has 2 years and 2 classes under them, and they havent done the job or gotten the playmakers.

God forbide we be like Texas and finish each season 10-1 or 11-1 and have a realstic shot at a National Championship each year. Maybe we can advertise Iowa St as the North's division version of Oklahoma since they wear red and come up with some interesting rivalry name for the matchup like OU/Texas did.

Oh by the way, it's only been 1 class, but i am sure you are eager to pin the 2003 recruiting class on Callahan to pump up your ego

Formerfan said:

Franks gone, let it go. This staff has 2 years and 2 classes under them, and they havent done the job or gotten the playmakers.

And then he says

Formerfan said:

Dude, while half the people on this board were saying: "Lucky is the next Peterson" "Lucky is Reggie Bush" and "Bowman is one-and-gone," I was the lone voice of reason. I was the one telling you all to give it time, that its gonna take time for these guys to adjust to Div I play.

Contradiction? One minute you say they haven't gotton playmakers, the next minute you are saying to give these guys time to adjust to DIV-I play. I am sure you see where this is going like everyone else can. I don't even need to explain it. :rollin

What is that, like 3 posts in a row that i have made you look like a idiot?

How bout you get over yourself already.

Formerfan said:

Franks gone, let it go. This staff has 2 years and 2 classes under them, and they havent done the job or gotten the playmakers.

And then he says

Formerfan said:

Contradiction? One minute you say they haven't gotton playmakers, the next minute you are saying to give these guys time to adjust to DIV-I play. I am sure you see where this is going like everyone else can. I don't even need to explain it. :rollin

What is that, like 3 posts in a row that i have made you look like a idiot?

How bout you get over yourself already.

That's such a stupid phrase. Whoever originally came up with it is a moron. How does one get over themself ???? That's as bad as saying, get under yourself or get between yourself.....

The phrase means to eliminate the infatuation a person has with his or her self. Some posters may think it appears that a few of our board members just like to hear themselves type. :lol: There may be a valid point there also. IMO

Less argument on who said what or when. Easy enough except for a select few.