Offense

Because they're not fast/explosive/great athletes. Exactly why we can't throw the deep ball.

Exactly, we have no receiver who can catch an 8-yard route make a guy or two miss and take it 50 yards.

Disagree. What about Lucky, L Jackson, Hardy, Bowman--some of these "great recruits" we have heard so much about??

If THESE guys are not exlposive/good enough to break a big gain (these guys all supposedly run legit 4.4 40's) then I guarentee some of the WRs that are being targeted wont be able to, either (guys like Holt who run a 4.6-4.7).

Because they're not fast/explosive/great athletes. Exactly why we can't throw the deep ball.

Exactly, we have no receiver who can catch an 8-yard route make a guy or two miss and take it 50 yards.

Disagree. What about Lucky, L Jackson, Hardy, Bowman--some of these "great recruits" we have heard so much about??

If THESE guys are not exlposive/good enough to break a big gain (these guys all supposedly run legit 4.4 40's) then I guarentee some of the WRs that are being targeted wont be able to, either (guys like Holt who run a 4.6-4.7).

Size and speed doesn't matter. I believe Cory Ross best displayed that fact when he caught pass after pass against Iowa St. That was from a 5-6, 4.5 guy listed as a running back. Marlon Lucky isn't a pure WR/TE. Neither is Leon Jackson and Bowman. Hence the reason they are not playing as WR/TE. The only guy that could be looked at from your list is Frantz Hardy.

Frantz Hardy is still learning to adapt to DIV-A football and i am not ready to throw him under the bus or slit his throat. He has 2 catches every game since the Wake Forest game and that tells me that the coaches only have him involved in 2 plays at the time being. No that doesn't mean the coaches think he isn't learning. I am sure the coaches have him involved in 2 plays, Mulkey in 2 plays, swift in 2 plays, Nunn in 2 plays, Leflore in 2 plays..etc. That way, when you line 2 or 3 of these guys up, defenses don't know which guy is the go to guy in that play.

Size and speed doesn't matter. I believe Cory Ross best displayed that fact when he caught pass after pass against Iowa St. That was from a 5-6, 4.5 guy listed as a running back. Marlon Lucky isn't a pure WR/TE. Neither is Leon Jackson and Bowman. Hence the reason they are not playing as WR/TE. The only guy that could be looked at from your list is Frantz Hardy.

:dis

Couldnt disagree with you any more than I do with this. Speed is crucial. Size is not as crucial. If not, lets just get a bunch of slow fat guys who are tough to tackle one on one. Ross with his 4.5 speed is just enough to make him dangerous, and IMO, shorter RBs can be an asset as they hide behind blockers, (Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders).

I know that all but Hardy are not pure WR's, but Lucky is supposed to be "like Reggie Bush" and both Bowman and Jackson have been rumored to be used for spot duty at WR to give NU a big play threat. They are supposed to be fast, and this O could use a player like that.

Couldnt disagree with you any more than I do with this

Really? I am shocked

If not, lets just get a bunch of slow fat guys who are tough to tackle one on one

Is this an attempt at sarcasm?

Ross with his 4.5 speed is just enough to make him dangerous, and IMO, shorter RBs can be an asset as they hide behind blockers, (Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders).

Yeah? To bad those 2 guys you mentioned were behind some of the greatest offensive lines in football. For example Emmitt behind an offensive line for the Cowboys, that won 3 superbowls in 4 years at Dallas. When you have receivers who can strech the field, you have more then just a RB to worry about. When you have receivers who can strech the field AND a mobile QB, that makes it even easier for a guy like Darren Sproles for example to rack up some huge numbers. Look what happened to Sproles last year when Roberson and his receivers graduated.

The problem with the O(this game) was not the receivers, IMO it was the O-Line. You could have WRs that were 6.5 and ran 4 flat and it wouldn't change that Taylor couldn't throw to them while lying on his back.

:yeah

When Taylor is repeatedly getting clobbered and the offense is moving backwards because of stupid penalties, it doesn't make much difference that there is no home run threat. Chances are, if we had a guy that was a home run threat, Taylor would get sacked before he got the ball to him, or the line would make a dumb penalty to negate the play anyways.

Don't be naive. You know as well as I do that the guys you mention are fresh out of high school. You can't be downplaying the hype to these guys during recruiting time and then come back during the year and say "Oh I thought they were supposed to be the bomb!"

There is a difference between having 4.3 speed and being able to make people miss after catching an 8 yard out.

The problem with the O(this game) was not the receivers, IMO it was the O-Line. You could have WRs that were 6.5 and ran 4 flat and it wouldn't change that Taylor couldn't throw to them while lying on his back.

:yeah

When Taylor is repeatedly getting clobbered and the offense is moving backwards because of stupid penalties, it doesn't make much difference that there is no home run threat. Chances are, if we had a guy that was a home run threat, Taylor would get sacked before he got the ball to him, or the line would make a dumb penalty to negate the play anyways.

Exactly, we beat ourselves in the 2nd half on offense. It was awful.

Talking about the recievers not being playmakers...we saw what Marlon Lucky did on KR today...and we know he can catch a ball because he did a lot of it in high school...HMMMMM PUT HIM THERE!! that could help some...

Whyd we quit throwing to peterson in the 2nd half?

In case you didn't notice, he was double teamed after his first touchdown catch. When you catch 3 passes for 65 yards, defensive coordinators make sure to limit your catching ability.

Brad Smith did to us today what Crouch did to teams when he was a QB. Mobile QB's are the toughest to stop. You don't know if they are going to throw, or option pitch it or run with it or fake the handoff...to many variables to consider. I am just glad he won't be part of that offense next year.

They hiked it to him and he took off I see this in my sons pop warner football games?

we have a 10 lb playbook, lol

I guess I should expect this, you know, the whole "not actually keeping up with what the team is doing so I can bash them with old information", but the week to week playbook is about an inch think and get's developed after the staff examines film on that weeks opposition. Not that they won't go outside this playbook during the game, but those are the plays that are focused on. They aren't new plays, plays of course get reused .

This is how it always has been AFAIK, but hey, keeping up with current news is not important. Especially when the new data directly opposes your "points". :sarcasm

Talking about the recievers not being playmakers...we saw what Marlon Lucky did on KR today...and we know he can catch a ball because he did a lot of it in high school...HMMMMM PUT HIM THERE!! that could help some...

Whyd we quit throwing to peterson in the 2nd half?

Oh, I don't know. How about HE WAS COVERED. You know, the whole DB thing. :thumbs

part of that was callahan's fault aswell. Mizzou knew we were going to pass every down, didn't keep them honest with the run at all. We could of run on them, other teams have.