Top Coach

cerny50

Who is the best coach in college football? Just for fun

My top 3 in order

1. Nick Saban

2. Bob Stoops

3. Chris Peterson

I'm curious as to why you put Bob Stoops in your top three. He seems to be a chronic underachiever, considering how much talent he has at his disposal.

Saban

Miles

Stoops

Saban has turned around two traditional SEC powers and has titles with both. Miles has been able to keep LSU in the top 10 despite a revolving door of assistants. Like it or not, but Stoops has achieved a level consistency on par with Osborne. He wins a conference title every other year and appears in titles games regularly.

Saban

Miles

Stoops

Saban has turned around two traditional SEC powers and has titles with both. Miles has been able to keep LSU in the top 10 despite a revolving door of assistants. Like it or not, but Stoops has achieved a level consistency on par with Osborne. He wins a conference title every other year and appears in titles games regularly.

Stoops would be in mine but the guy takes post-season choking to a new level.

• Fire 2

Nick Saban (he’s the Belichick of college football. Except polite.)

Urban Meyer (he’s not done coaching yet. I think)

(tie)Bobby Petrino/George O'Leary (I know UCF is 3-4 right now, but I still think George O'Leary is a good coach)

It’s a toss up for me between Saban and Meyer. Both top notch coaches. There’s a big drop off after those two. Les Miles could easily be in there someplace.

Mine would be:

1. Peterson

2. Saban

3. Paterson

Peterson is the best... I think by a wide margin. No staff prepares their team like Peterson does. no team --- not Saban's or Stoops teams... no ones team plays with the every player/every play intensity, the every play focus irrespective of score intensity that Peterson gets out of his team. No team plays so much above their talent level than Petersons --- and no team plays with the near flawless perfection of the Peterson team in the realm of not missing tackles, not missing assignments, not dropping passes, etc. and simply playing fundamental football, focused and error free.

Saban has 5 times (or whatever...) a ridiculously more talented roster to manage than does Peterson. And Alabama would smoke Boise State -- the talent differential is too great. But I would take Peterson over Saban. or Stoops. Or anybody.

Placing Saban and Stoops so high is... well, I'll frame it as a question ... is it because they have so much talent on their teams that we think they are so good? Same with Miles.

1. Urban Meyer

2. Chris Peterson

3. Al Golden

Maybe Golden at #3 is a stretch, but he deserves something for turning around the worst program in CFB and handling the situation dumped on him right away at Miami. I think he gets that program back on track the right way.

If you look at people who win without a lot of highly rated player I'd submit Ferentz and Mike Riley even though they are both down now. Barry Alvarez and now Bulemia did/do well with okay players too. Rick Rodriquez despite the shadyness seems to win provided he has the support of his own school. Harbaugh will eventually get that school behind him.

I'd have said BK but his weaknesses are getting unmasked. The other Kelly is of course a fantastic offensive coach.