Thad Randle Out for Mich St

just a different line - different defense. if Stein is a bust then this entire DL is a bust as well. (crick included) - remember in 2009 when our starting 4 combined for 261 tackles? or 2010 when they notched 245? (or even 08 when it was around 220?)

our starting 4 are sitting at about 80 right now (including adjustment for Crick). our starting DL will be lucky to rack up 160 tackles this year. 65% of the production of prior years? If that isn't a telling sign of a "shift" in philosophy then I don't know what is. It's across the board as well. Everyone is WAY off pace from their production the last couple of years. Cam's the only one that might come close.

i've got no idea why there is such a disparity - especially when teams are running at us more. We aren't playing teams that put the ball in the air 50 times a game anymore. if anything our DL tackles should be UP. they aren't though. sacks are down. TFLs are down. did Bo's added involvement in the D make that big of a difference the last couple of years? Did Carl's coaching the DL have that big of an impact? Is JP coaching the DL different? Is special teams coordinator, recruiting coordinator AND coaching ends/interior too much for 1 guy.

These are excellent questions and ones that I have been thinking about since the start of the season.

Randle is a damn good player. That said, I hope to see Chase Rome and Jay Guy get a lot of action this weekend. Damn this is a big game.

I hope Jay Guy gets very little action. I don't care what his potential is, but someone who just now made the travel squad probably shouldn't be seeing significant time in such a big game like this against a tough opponent, especially when Chase Rome and T-Mo are better at the moment and have more experience.

There are alot of guys that don't make the travel squad as a redshirt freshman if that position is already stacked.

just a different line - different defense. if Stein is a bust then this entire DL is a bust as well. (crick included) - remember in 2009 when our starting 4 combined for 261 tackles? or 2010 when they notched 245? (or even 08 when it was around 220?)

our starting 4 are sitting at about 80 right now (including adjustment for Crick). our starting DL will be lucky to rack up 160 tackles this year. 65% of the production of prior years? If that isn't a telling sign of a "shift" in philosophy then I don't know what is. It's across the board as well. Everyone is WAY off pace from their production the last couple of years. Cam's the only one that might come close.

i've got no idea why there is such a disparity - especially when teams are running at us more. We aren't playing teams that put the ball in the air 50 times a game anymore. if anything our DL tackles should be UP. they aren't though. sacks are down. TFLs are down. did Bo's added involvement in the D make that big of a difference the last couple of years? Did Carl's coaching the DL have that big of an impact? Is JP coaching the DL different? Is special teams coordinator, recruiting coordinator AND coaching ends/interior too much for 1 guy.

Yes. & the frustrating part of the whole thing is that the whole reason behind getting a new OC shouldve been so Bo could hire some1 he could trust, not micromanage. & for the record, I think Beck has done great (with the exception of the playcalling in the Wisconsin game). I realize Bo is the head coach but his specialty is defense & thats why he was brought in. Bo's #1 focus should be the defense because thats what hes great at & he should leave the offense to Beck (& at times oversee the offense to make sure everything is going as it should, but his #1 focus should be the defense). Carl Pelini needs to be spending all his time with the DLine because thats what hes great at, Papuchis should be focusing on Special Teams, thats what hes great at.

Look at how Osborne ran his program, offense was his specialty so he hired some1 he could trust, McBride, to run the defense efficiently so he should focus on what he does best, running the offense.