I'm not a fair weather fan, and will never be.

I'll be the first to admit it.

"I am a Fair Weather Fan!!!"

One of the main reasons I moved out here to Arizona..But "Home" will always be Nebraska.

Husker fans throw down old school style

4eb59cde03443.image.jpg

If you watched Bo's Big Red at all this season, you've seen them -- a cadre of University of Nebraska-Lincoln seniors who dress decidedly unlike the bare-chested, face-painted, bone-throwers who stand next to them in the front row of the student section.

And decidedly more uptown than most of the rest of their 82,000 Memorial Stadium neighbors.

They love football.

They just hate jerseys.

They call it their Saturday best. Vintage sweaters, Bob Devaney bowlers, red wingtips, sports coats from Ben Simons, cowboy ties, striped mufflers in scarlet and cream. Sweater vests for the Ohio State game, an homage to Jim Tressel. Old-school red megaphones, a few of them rescued from a day care where they were used as obstacle course cones.

"We take a little pride in how we look on gameday," says Max Wohlgemuth, 22.

"We get lots of compliments."

One of the few women in the bunch...

Read more: http://journalstar.c...l#ixzz1csz8eu77

How many loses like this do you take before you say enough?

If you want mediocrity, we have it, if you want more, then you GOT to replace folks, period.

After this many years, his recruits, his game, live with it.

This whole "fairweather fan" thing (ed. i mean explicitly calling other people "fair weather") that seems to come up after every loss is bizarre, insulting, and pretty childish. Being critical of your team suggesting changes (with varying degrees of politeness) and basically trying to figure out what went wrong and where are not examples of not being a fan. They are one of the many ways in which people who care about a team express their fandom. Sure, fine, if you think that being the best fan you can be means irrationally believing that everything is sunny all the time always and that NU will always win regardless of the evidence or even high statistical improbability of that (not *you* you, RC, just generally), then fine. Go ahead and think that way. I honestly don't have a problem with people who are ultrapositive about everything. That's actually great!

But what I dislike are people who think that their positive attitude makes them the best fan or, even worse, the only "real" fans there are (hence the others are "fair weather") and pass judgment on people who appreciate the game and team in a way that they don't agree with. Really, I am honestly glad that people can remain happy and uncritical and enjoy things that way. But for me, I didn't really *really* start paying close attention until NU started to stumble. "What's wrong?" I would ask. I learned a *lot* more about the game by trying to figure out what wasn't working. As much as I loved it when NU would just run people over for 4 quarters and dominate highly ranked teams, it didn't demand engagement the same way that a 7 and 7 season did. Part of it was probably maturation, but a big part was really trying to see why things didn't work. It was basically axiomatic that NU would win or at least lose in a close game to a national contender. But getting spanked by Colorado? What? I really had to think about what players were supposed to be doing, what positions were for, etc. It just made me engage a lot more.

If people think that being critical is being a fair weather fan or being a bad fan, whatever. But it takes a lot of effort to be critical, it takes some level of engagement and attention to think about what's wrong. To me a "fair weather fan" is a fan who never pays attention or cares about a team until they do well and then suddenly they're a superfan. Fairweather Fandom is about being "right" e.g. "I've always loved them!" (when obviously that's not true) or "I've always thought they sucked!" (when obviously that's not true, either). They don't know the history, don't care about the history, and won't bother to learn it, because they don't really care.

Cheering doesn't make you a fan, caring, paying attention, learning, discussing, etc. do. Not dismissing cheering, that's still a big part, but the Fair Weatherest of fans cheer. But fans who care will sometimes boo, sometimes criticize, sometimes be angry, but they will never *not care.*

What this all boils down to is a difference in perception. You have one side who sees what went wrong and tries their best to figure out why it happened and how that problem could be remedied. Then you have the other side who sees what went wrong, but still sees the potential for what could happen and acknowledges that while there are problems facing the program, the solution isn't necessarily to remedy it immediately but it is instead to stay patient. Yes, it's your traditional second time this year battle of the realists and the sunshine pumpers.

Neither one makes you more or less of a fan--and that is what I don't understand is how people are so quick to dismiss a person's fan hood because of what they think the solution to a problem is. I may disagree with what some people have to say. I personally do believe that we must be patient with our players and coaches and watch them grow and develop into a national championship winning team. I think the potential is there.

Certainly the other side has valid opinions as to why Bo should be fired, but I just fail to see what good would come from him being fired.

I find the sunshine pumper name calling to be just as insulting, just as bizarre, and just as childish as the whole "realist" claim. This team is our team, we all support it, we all care for it, we all want to see it succeed. Some of us think that success comes one way, some of us think it comes another. That's all.

What bugs me the most [and I'm not attacking those who do it, just stating a personal distaste] are the people who come on the board after a loss to basically say, "see, I told you so...I am right" [of course, in a different way]. I don't know why it gets to me, but it does.

You know I'm curious, this term has been bounced around all night, every board you can imagine, and I've gotta be Frank I completely hate it being used so often and I hate being called one, so would someone please care to tell me what qualifies one to be a "fair weather fan?"

I honestly don't think I could tell you. It's been a term so loosely thrown around that it doesn't seem to have a definition. It could encompass a group as large as the entire fan base. Perhaps it could be only the fans who come around when the weather [setting?] for their arguments and beliefs is best to persuade the people of opposite beliefs to jump over to the same side of the argument?

We all could be called fair weather fans in a sense. After good games those of us who believe in the process and that our team will wake up [but it will take some time and some teaching] say, "See, maybe we're right." And then after a team drops a game [like today], you have the people who believe in other means [i don't know what they are, I am not one of them]. saying "See, maybe you're not right, maybe we're right and the team had some flukey wins."

Tough to say. But I will refrain from using that term from now on....it just doesn't make much sense.

We lost to a better team that's all. It happens. Go Big Red.

Northwestern is better than NU? If that is true then we are in some real trouble.

Questioning Bo does not make anyone "fair weather" not everyone is a sunshine pumper and accepts losing to crappy teams.

It's not a matter of accepting anything. Stuff happens. Any team can win on any Saturday. Stuff happens.

How many loses like this do you take before you say enough?

If you want mediocrity, we have it, if you want more, then you GOT to replace folks, period.

After this many years, his recruits, his game, live with it.

Say enough? What does that even mean? Are you going to donate all your Husker clothing to a charity? Stop watching games? The team lost a game - that's all that happened. I seem to remember many games where the Huskers lost and the other team won. That doesn't affect my support for the Huskers at all. We didn't lose. The team lost. It happens. So, what's the appropriate response? For me, it's to say, "Tough game, guys. Next week's another game." For me, yelling at the team when they lose doesn't make sense. It's like the dad in the bleachers cursing at the little league coach because the team his son is on didn't win. That does nobody any good.

So, what I'll do is to cheer again next Saturday. The Huskers are the team I support and have high hopes for. Some you win...

• Fire 1