Walk-On Program

I don't think we make it to the next level with the current walk-on program. Thorell, Blatchford, or Cassidy would not be able to compete against LSU, Bama, Oregon, and a host of other programs. I admire them for courage and participation, but its time we start developing the talent we recruited.

We have a host of scholarship players that don't see the field or see the field only on special teams.

-D.Washington

-A. Bell

-B. Thompson

-the Osbournes'

-E. Martin (until this season)

-M. Kreikmeier

-C. Okafor

-A. Whaley

-N. Ash

-J.T Kerr

-C.J Zimmerer

Something needs to be said as to why these guys don't see the field, and cannot beat out walk-ons.

It looks like the coaches are not very good judges when it comes to talent or recruited guys with talent with poor work ethic. Either way it's disturbing that we have to play walk ons like we do.

truhusker, please indicate where I stated (other than special teams, which was speculative) that Bo starts walk-ons because they are walk-ons?

You didn't see heart or leadership from Martinez yesterday? I certainly did. He was about the only one displaying either.

I'm not badmouthing walk-ons. I'm just frustrated because IMO we should be fielding elite units on both sides of the ball. We are a big name program and we should have no problem recruiting the type of talent that will allow us to compete with the best of the best. Whether walk-ons fit into that picture remains to be seen, but currently they are some of the worst players we have on the field.

Well I think your argument has a weak foundation because of one simple thing - we are a big name program, but we do have problems recruiting the type of talent that will allow us to compete with the best of the best. Where does all the top talent in the country go? Any place with a beach or warm weather. tOSU is one of the exceptions, but I would still say teams like Bama and LSU have better athletes.

We do have problems taking recruits from those teams. Now, obviously there are some things to point out, however. Callahan had a really good recruiting class and I think he was a pretty damn good recruiter. He got kids with talent.

Pelini gets kids with mentality. With fortitude. With team based attitudes. If there's a five star running back who thinks the world of himself, and a three star running back who is very humble, Pelini is going to be more apt to get the three star guy. It means we don't get the talent, but we do get somebody who will be a better teammate.

It's a different recruiting mentality but it's one he believes in. I don't think we're at a point where we can say whether it's wrong or right. we're very young on the defense. Star power has nothing to do with experience.

There's the problem. The top talent kids stay in the S E C. Not many coach's are going to win title's with the recruit's we have. The worst part is, these kids will line up 3-4 deep on an LSU, ALA FLA. roster rather than come to Neb, to play. Closer to home more national exposer. And a shot at an MNC.

The thing is, MLB 51, you can win if you do it the right way even if you don't get those great recruits. Boise State, as anybody would agree, has nowhere near the athletes of an SEC school. They don't even have as good of athletes as Nebraska. But they win, they win a lot, and they'd probably beat us 6 times out of 10.

That comes down to coaching, having a specific mindset in place and not wavering. We won here before, and we can do it again. It just has to be done the right way.

This thread is more about identifying and developing talent rather than the walk on program. I actually think the walk-ons have bailed this team out time and time again. What I mean by that is....things would be far worse if they weren't here.

It appears to me, atleast during the past couple of weeks, that Eric Martin may be one of the best D lineman that we have. It's great we have been watching him blow up people on kickoff for several years, but where has he been.

I also kind of shrug my head when I see that Malcolm Brown is starting for Texas as a true Freshman. Wasn't recruiting really supposed to be a toss up between Brown and Aaron Green?

I have been highly critical of T-Mart, but I think he played the game of his life yesterday. All that aside, can we not get a high level QB? We have walk-ons consistently in the O-Line, secondary and occasionally in the LB group.