So I'm reading lots of headlines about Dem wins in elections today...

Ohio repeals law restricting unions; Miss. blocks ‘personhood’ amendment

By Aaron Blake and Rachel Weiner, Published: November 8

Ohioans voted Tuesday to repeal a Republican-backed law that restricted collective bargaining for public workers, while Mississippi voters blocked an amendment that would have defined a fertilized egg as a person.

The union victory in Ohio and the defeat for the “personhood” amendment in Mississippi highlighted an off-year election that was defined by ballot measures.

rest of article

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/governors-races-pale-next-to-issues-votes-in-miss-ohio/2011/11/08/gIQAbtiP3M_story.html?wpisrc=nl_politics

This is a big one here in AZ and nationally even.

Russell Pearce on verge of historic loss in recall

by Art Thomason, Jim Walsh and John D'Anna - Nov. 8, 2011 10:31 PM

The Arizona Republic

Russell Pearce, one of the most influential state politicians in the nation and a powerful voice on illegal immigration, was on the verge of losing his Senate seat in Tuesday's unprecedented recall election.

Pearce appeared resigned to defeat, saying "if being recalled is the price for keeping one's promises, so be it."[/left]

If the vote totals hold, Pearce becomes the first sitting Senate president in the nation and the first Arizona legislator ever to lose a recall election. He would be required to step down immediately once the results become official.

Read more: http://www.azcentral...l#ixzz1dE5s2fOW

Good for Maine, the people rejected voter supression!

Yes, but another state voted it in. It's a shame that many think voter fraud is actually a legit concern. It rarely if ever happens. People get it confused w/ "registration fraud" which does happen, but had no effect on elections. However the media does a poor job of communicating this to the people.

Love to see this from a conservative state even though it isn't binding. Hopefully this will be the spark to get it changed.

Missoula voters say corporations are not people, ask for constitutional amendment

By KEILA SZPALLER of the Missoulian | Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2011 6:15 am

Corporations aren't people, an overwhelming 75 percent of Missoula voters said Tuesday, and they don't want corporations treated like people either.

"I'm over the moon about it," said Councilwoman Cynthia Wolken, who brought the referendum to the Missoula City Council to place on the ballot.

The measure - similar to others across the country - calls on the U.S. Congress and state leaders to amend the U.S. Constitution to say that "corporations are not human beings." It earned 10,729 votes in favor and 3,605 against.

The resolution isn't binding, but it does send a message that's gaining momentum nationwide. Wolken said she planned on being satisfied to capture more than 50 percent of the vote, "really happy" with more than 60 percent, and "over the moon" with anything more.

Read more: http://missoulian.co...l#ixzz1dEBknYJq

Yes, but another state voted it in. It's a shame that many think voter fraud is actually a legit concern. It rarely if ever happens. People get it confused w/ "registration fraud" which does happen, but had no effect on elections. However the media does a poor job of communicating this to the people.

Good point. It's one thing to get paid $5.00 to register Donald Duck - it's a whole 'nuther thing to let him cast a vote.

Which state voted for voter supression?

Mississippi voted in photo ID required to vote.

I have no problem with photo IDs being required.

Even though it is not required, I present a photo ID anyway.

Good point. It's one thing to get paid $5.00 to register Donald Duck - it's a whole 'nuther thing to let him cast a vote.

Yos has a valid point.

Voter ID isn't voter suppression. Geez. I hate when people used intentionally biased language to rename something neutral. It's at best misleading and at worst a lie.

Being able to just show a valid ID at the polls here in Minnesota would be much easier than what we currently have.

:LOLtartar

What do you have to do currently to show who you are when you vote? Now that I think of it I show my ID when I vote. I admit I sort of just posted a lib conclusion on this. I mean I see how it technically makes people have to buy something(pay) to vote, but how else can you prove you are the person you say you are? Is the answer to have govt pay for the photo ID? I can see how that'd cost a lot of money, but most wouldn't do it because they'd rather just use their drivers license than go through the process of getting a free ID that won't allow you to drive...

My point is...a poor/homeless person should be able to vote w/out having to pay $10-$20 for an ID.

Voter ID isn't voter suppression. Geez. I hate when people used intentionally biased language to rename something neutral. It's at best misleading and at worst a lie.

Being able to just show a valid ID at the polls here in Minnesota would be much easier than what we currently have.

Depends on the intent, Calla. In Wisconsin, the state agencies have been given explicit instructions to not assist people with questions re: obtaining a free state-issued photo ID, and that state just passed a Voter ID bill that requires a photo ID or Driver's License to vote.

And for the record, I don't have a problem with mandatory Voter ID programs. But the government cannot pass these laws on one hand, and then make it difficult or obfuscate the process to obtain said ID, as is happening in states that have passed Voter ID laws. Since the later is happening without fail after the former takes place, those actions remove any doubt that vote integrity is the motive behind the implementation, and that voter suppression is the desired endgame.

Voting in some cases does not have the necessary safeguards.

My wife is not a US citizen, and it would have be easy for her to register to vote. Once there, voting would be simple since she has a SS card, drivers license and other forms of ID.

It is the registration process that should be simplified, yet have loopholes closed.

And nobody should have to wait hours to vote.

Lastly, robocalls that give wrong voting info should be a felony.