Do teleprompters or speaking fopahs make you unqualified to be president?

I think you are automatically disqualified for president if you misspell faux pas in a thread title. ;)

To answer your question, the teleprompter is not the same thing as Perry forgetting his own platform. Every president since the invention of the teleprompter has used one. This myth that Obama can't speak without one is belied by his town hall discussions. We've seen him speak without one many, many times. It's just that same kind of character assassination that "the other side" does to every sitting president. It's silly, but people fall for it every time. How many people perpetuated the ignorant myth that George Bush wasn't really running the show, Cheney was? Heard that one as many times as I've heard the teleprompter nonsense.

Perry's lapses in memory, or.... whatever it is you want to call that... are far more disturbing. I have no idea how a man gunning for president could make as many blunders as he has recently. They're painful to watch, and he seems genuinely lost out there. It almost makes me worry he has something medically wrong with him.

• Fire 2

Actually, I thought the worst gaffe of the debate was Cain calling Pelosi "Princess Nancy." For a guy with some significant problems in relating to female voters, that was a nearly unforgivable comment.

Cain is headed for a huge fall. He's his own worst enemy.

C'mon. One of the richest women in the world acting like she cares about the poor. It is documented over and over how she blew tax payer money as speaker and she won't even address the latest questions about a credit card IPO she was involved in. She has business ventures that employ thousands and none or her employees are in a union.

Maybe princess isn't the right term. I would agree that he probably should step a little more softly.

Cain is a victim of headlines. There is rarely any substance in the AP & Reuters rags. Obviously, that is an opinion.

funny that you should post this today. I just worked a teleprompter operator gig for the first time. I personally don't care if a president ever uses a teleprompter...I just think back to when I was in speech class and had to memorize speeches. I doubt a president has the time to do that. Especially considering speeches are usually finished just hours before the president is to go on live.

• Fire 1

For a guy in the position he's in, he should have used different words than "Princess Nancy." It's WAY too familiar, like when Bush tried to give the German president a shoulder rub. Horribly awkward, and inappropriate.

But anyway, about Perry - I expect to hear soon that he has a blood sugar disorder, or something. The guy is acting kooky. His campaign has to be on life-support right now.

funny that you should post this today. I just worked a teleprompter operator gig for the first time. I personally don't care if a president ever uses a teleprompter...I just think back to when I was in speech class and had to memorize speeches. I doubt a president has the time to do that. Especially considering speeches are usually finished just hours before the president is to go on live.

Hours, or even minutes, sometimes seconds. The "bin Laden is dead" speech was finished as the president was walking to the podium, IIRC.

Speaking of having to memorize things, as a child I was picked to give the sermon at our church Christmas play. Mom made me memorize the whole thing, three full pages and a paragraph on a fourth, in one month. I did it, but I was sweating bullets up there. Still an awful memory.

For a guy in the position he's in, he should have used different words than "Princess Nancy." It's WAY too familiar, like when Bush tried to give the German president a shoulder rub. Horribly awkward, and inappropriate.

But anyway, about Perry - I expect to hear soon that he has a blood sugar disorder, or something. The guy is acting kooky. His campaign has to be on life-support right now.

I hadn't thought about it, but that is what will happen. I wonder how long it will be.

Herman Cain is the epitome of all that is wrong with the Tea Party.

However these sex scandals have only delayed the criticisms of that awful 999 plan.

I am hypo-glycemic... I can easily control it.

I don't go to a meeting or a presentation with my blood sugar level about to take a dive... that's called planning.

Actually, I thought the worst gaffe of the debate was Cain calling Pelosi "Princess Nancy." For a guy with some significant problems in relating to female voters, that was a nearly unforgivable comment.

Cain is headed for a huge fall. He's his own worst enemy.

Actually you may be right if he wins the nomination but among the Pubs that is getting him points I would think. The same way people make fun of pubs and the libs think it is funny. :wacko:

Herman Cain is the epitome of all that is wrong with the Tea Party.

However these sex scandals have only delayed the criticisms of that awful 999 plan.

I am hypo-glycemic... I can easily control it.

I don't go to a meeting or a presentation with my blood sugar level about to take a dive... that's called planning.

Let me make sure I have this right. "Leftist X" says that Rick Perry might have a medical problem - like a blood sugar problem.

Then "Left Y" says that anyone who goes to a meeting or presentation (like a debate, huh?) who has a blood sugar problem is incapable of planning ahead.

Hence, Rick Perry cannot plan ahead...

Is that about right? Don't get me wrong...I would never vote for him, but I don't come up with phony, feckless untruths to somehow attack him. Next you'll use the old Soviet ploy - he's nuts...send him to Siberia (or in this case, Maine).