What if we don't beat Oklahoma?

If Nebraska has another season that is not much better than last year's, do you think Callahan will be around in 2006? If he is here in 2006 and still does not improve, do you think he will be fired? And if he is fired do you think Nebraska will go back to power-running attack or continue attempting the WCO? Just thoughts of possible worst-case scenarios that could very possibly happen.

worst-case scenario?

god becomes so enraged by callahan's ineptitude that he smites him at the OU game, turning him into a pillar of salt.

the skys open up and fire rains down upon Memorial Stadium, causing the husker faithful to all cry out at once, "OWIE! OWIE! OWIE!"

the earth will swallow up Memorial Stadium; it's location will be forever cursed and Nebraskas will have cheer for the University of Nebraksa-Kearny (go lopers w00t).

now that's the *worst* case senario.

If Nebraska has another season that is not much better than last year's, do you think Callahan will be around in 2006? If he is here in 2006 and still does not improve, do you think he will be fired? And if he is fired do you think Nebraska will go back to power-running attack or continue attempting the WCO? Just thoughts of possible worst-case scenarios that could very possibly happen.

Im pretty sure that billy c. will get all the time in the world to do what he is gonna do, because as many of us have said before, he and pud are connected at the hip, and if he goes, pud (and perleman [sp?]) are gone too.

If NU does go into a tailspin, and somehow self-destructs down the stretch, and if next year is similar to this and last, I would say that the heat would certainly be on pud and billy c from the boosters and fans.

He for sure gets next year regardless, but I would bet that he gets to the end of his contract (5 years???), unless they go 5-6 again this year, and get absolutely embarrassed next year.

Also, what happens if recruiting takes a dive?? The recruits are not coming in quite as fast as last year, and this staff has not landed the number of "high profile" guys that they had last year. If it doesnt pick up, will that lead to regime change???

First of all, we could lose to OU I guess if we melt down like last week. Personally, I don't think it happens but it could if you're into the worst case scenario. However, even in the worst case scenario there is no way in hell we lose to Kansas. This puts us at 6 wins and in a lower tier bowl where we'll be playing a team closer to our level. We could easily win the bowl game. BC will be here next year.

If recruiting starts slipping as Former alludes to, then BC is in trouble. This was Pud's main objection to Solich was poor recruiting. The big question which has been discussed in another thread is the possibility of Blake leaving. It seems he is in on about every big recruit we got this year. If he leaves, this could really put a damper on recruiting despite what the team is doing.

If things continue the next couple of years with 5 or 6 win seasons, it will really be up to the Board of Regents and boosters as to what happens. We could slip into the Notre Dame mode for the next 5-10 years having 3 or 4 coaches over that time period.

Being 5 and 2 at the time and possibly 5 and 3 after the OU game, I think it's a little early to drag out the lynch mob. I can see us possibly dropping either the OU or KSU game and I think it's very likely we drop the CU game. Other than that, I think we win out. Even if we drop 2 games remaining on the schedule, we're still 7 and 4. We'll be playing in a bowl game, and we could easily be 8 and 4 by season's end. No one will be losing their job from turning a 5 and 6 season into a 8 and 4 season. It will be next year things could get heated if we go back to a 5 and 6 season, but it won't happen this year.

As far as the recruiting goes, yes the recruits aren't coming in as fast as last year, but if you really keep up-to-date on recruits showing interest in Nebraska, there are plenty out there. I can see Bill C landing another top 10 recruiting class this year when it's all said and done. Patience will be the key for our fans as all these new players mold together in the years to come.

As far as the recruiting goes, yes the recruits aren't coming in as fast as last year, but if you really keep up-to-date on recruits showing interest in Nebraska, there are plenty out there. I can see Bill C landing another top 10 recruiting class this year when it's all said and done. Patience will be the key for our fans as all these new players mold together in the years to come.

I don't like to put too much stock in Recruiting class rankings. There is soooo much parity in CF now that who knows.

What NE needs is a play maker....someone that can make everyone around them better. We don't have that quite yet.

I think that Lucky could be that kind of guy....and maybe even Swift.

hopefully some1 steps up this year for the huskers by the end of this year, so we can have a good idea of wat we can look for next year. i hope lucky comes into his own, i think we need to see more of him out on the field, at any position really just to take advantage of wat he can do. as far as the wr's go, i thought nunn would show much more big play ability this season, but he has had good and bad games throughout. i look for brooks to rise up and make an impact by the end of the season. we need a number 1 receiver, they are all either second receivers or slot guys imo.

I agree with most of what has been said so far. Callahan will be given at least 4 years, and most likely his entire contract to make it work. We're going to sink or swim with him because Pederson's fortunes are directly tied to Callahan's. If we are back on top next year or the year after, Pederson will be lauded as a genius. Another season or two like last year and it will get very difficult for both of them.

Personally, I don't know exactly what will happen. Maybe BC will work out, but my gut says things aren't as good as they appear. I had a feeling Missouri would expose us last week and despite all the optimism on this board I really think Oklahoma will beat us this week. And I agree with others who say we will probably lose the Colorado game.

Above all I think we've taken a huge step back. We're excited about 1 point wins over crappy teams at home and going into overtime with perennial cellar dwellers of the Big 12. I think it's ironic that one of the things that got FS canned was losing 41-24 at Missouri. Only difference between that game and the one last week was in 2003 we were winning going into the 4th. So to summarize, I really don't know if we're headed in the right direction or not. It seems to me we're excited about things we used to just take as givens and the coaching staff treats this a little too much like the NFL. Losses don't really matter...we just need those extra pieces of the puzzle so we'll be better. Be patient, exc. Anyway, I really didn't mean to go onto such a tangent. Just saying what came to mind when I read these posts.

I think it would be irresposible to not give Callahan the remainder of his contract. If nothing else recruiting has improved. I believe the quality of play has, and will continue to improve as well. Firing Callahan at this point would do nothing but hurt the program. You could see to a certain extent last year that not all players were willing to buy into a new system and were bitter about the change. Doing this for a second time would do nothing but cause more trouble. If at the end of his contract he has not shown that he is able to keep Nebraska in the top of the big 12, he will most likely be let go. But personally I believe we are on the right track :)

imo they have made HUGE strides this year from last year. the offense, though not great yet, looks great compared to last years. the defense is doin a good job despite limited talent and some injuries. another top 10 recruiting class, plus a much more experienced team next year makes me think callahan will keep his job.