UC Davis professor demands chancellor resign over pepper-spraying of students

Replying to one's own thread is usually the first hint nobody cares much. Too much other crap going on in around the world and here.

an astute analysis.

I care about it. It's actually been discussed in the OWS thread as well.

Well, that makes two out of 7 billion.

You sound like you need a hug. :(

Why would that be?

You sound so unhappy. We're here for you, man. :thumbs

So if I proved my point that nobody cares about the subject, you turn it into a personal attack and try to say I am emotional about it? Nice. This is a molehill, the mountain is trying to be made, but it ain't working. Instead how about try backing up OG with more links to the reaction of the outrage. At least I see how you play the game now.

Hugs are personal attacks now? Is this bizzarro world? Batons and pepper spray are perfectly legitimate but hugs and feelings are attacks?

Fascinating stuff. We've always been at war with Oceania.

It sure comes off as a personal attack to me, telling me what my emotions are when you know nothing about me. It's better just to post nothing then go after someone if you have no way to defend the argument. Having said that, anything else to add from the original topic? Anyone find anything new? Anyone fired yet? Just wondering.

It sure comes off as a personal attack to me, telling me what my emotions are when you know nothing about me. It's better just to post nothing then go after someone if you have no way to defend the argument. Having said that, anything else to add from the original topic? Anyone find anything new? Anyone fired yet? Just wondering.

I don't think it is a personal attack. I would characterize it as 'Belittling' your argument.

It's a pretty common tactic in this forum. The best at it is matthew_mg with calling everything he doesn't agree with derp. You don't have to propose a solution or refute a claim, just tell the other how dumb they are.

I must've missed the part in the riot control handbook where it says to bear mase some people sitting down, and then form an awkward cluster and retreat from a bunch of guys wearing scarves.

I liked how you after a while you could see the tide turn...how they felt the nonviolent pressure to leave..but the macho in them made them do it really slow and in a delayed manner. :) Must be a great feeling to industrial size can pepper hose down a bunch of college students while they are on their knees just because you CAN do it...never wondering if you SHOULD do it.

Imagine that, it's near impossible to find a video of what lead up to incident. Here's one that shows about two and a half minutes of footage prior to what everyone else has seen. I wish there was another two minutes because I bet this would be even less of a story.

0:01 - Officer politely asks asks jobless student with 100K in student loans and Art History Degree to move.

0:07 - Jobless student with 100K in student loans and Art History Degree says 'You're shooting me for sitting here...Just making sure. That's fine.'

0:28 - A member of the group says 'Put your faces down' and they all follow.

0:48 - Officer gets out pepper spray

1:06 - Girl operating camera shouts to group 'Keep your eyes closed'

1:09 - Protester comes in and says 'All you guys might want to back of the walk'

1:12 - Repeats himself

1:21 - Camera girl again yells 'Close your eyes'

1:25 - She then starts ranting 'Protect Yourself'

1:41 - Members of the crowd start calling for a friend 'Alee' to get off the walk

2:12 - Officer reaches down and tries to remove a protestor by pulling on her. Didn't budge.

2:27 - Spraying starts and this is where nearly all the video on the internet start.

*****My favorite part.if you can stomach to go any further is when they become poor children in the eyes of the camera operator.

This is a big joke to these protestors. They think they are untouchable and don't have to follow any rules. They were asked to move, they didn't and paid a real small price for it. Their attempts at their protestor merit badge failed miserably. Go ahead and try to turn this into Tiananmen Square. I think everyone has done a pretty solid job of it so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tsoIxAmT1M

Replying to one's own thread is usually the first hint nobody cares much. Too much other crap going on in around the world and here.

an astute analysis.

This can be viewed in the same light as what you said carl's posts were. Maybe you should take your own advice and:

Imagine that, it's near impossible to find a video of what lead up to incident. Here's one that shows about two and a half minutes of footage prior to what everyone else has seen. I wish there was another two minutes because I bet this would be even less of a story.

0:01 - Officer politely asks asks jobless student with 100K in student loans and Art History Degree to move.

0:07 - Jobless student with 100K in student loans and Art History Degree says 'You're shooting me for sitting here...Just making sure. That's fine.'

1:09 - Protester comes in and says 'All you guys might want to back of the walk'

1:41 - Members of the crowd start calling for a friend 'Alee' to get off the walk

2:12 - Officer reaches down and tries to remove a protestor by pulling on her. Didn't budge.

2:27 - Spraying starts and this is where nearly all the video on the internet start.

*****My favorite part.if you can stomach to go any further is when they become poor children in the eyes of the camera operator.

This is a big joke to these protestors. They think they are untouchable and don't have to follow any rules. They were asked to move, they didn't and paid a real small price for it. Their attempts at their protestor merit badge failed miserably. Go ahead and try to turn this into Tiananmen Square. I think everyone has done a pretty solid job of it so far.

Your video didn't show anything new. However I hear the officers had to respond to this call right before their donut break...so that probably comes into play here too.

an astute analysis.

This can be viewed in the same light as what you said carl's posts were. Maybe you should take your own advice and:

Not really. My point was yea, this may not be right but it's trying to be made out as a bigger deal then it was. Go after my argument, not after me. If you can't defend the point, well, its already been talked about. You have anything constructive to ad to the topic then as well?

an astute analysis.

You sound like you need a hug. :(

Why would that be?

You sound so unhappy. We're here for you, man. :thumbs

So if I proved my point that nobody cares about the subject, you turn it into a personal attack and try to say I am emotional about it? Nice. This is a molehill, the mountain is trying to be made, but it ain't working. Instead how about try backing up OG with more links to the reaction of the outrage. At least I see how you play the game now.

Hugs are personal attacks now? Is this bizzarro world? Batons and pepper spray are perfectly legitimate but hugs and feelings are attacks?

Fascinating stuff. We've always been at war with Oceania.

The officers are suspended pending this investigation. I don't know why that would be. They clearly did nothing wrong . . . right?

I didn't tell you what your emotions are/were. I said that is how you sounded to me. Check it out: sound. In both posts. In the same vein, now you sound sensitive regarding my opinions.

Right, back to heart of the article...should the chancellor step down because the police pepper sprayed students who refused to comply with police demands to vacate the area?

According to the English professor, she should. I admit I have my own preconceptions about university English 'professors', but I do not agree with that the chancellor should resign because one officer decided to season a small group of college kids. If anyone is to be punished, it should be those people who broke the law, either the officer who pepper sprayed the students and/or the students for violating some ordinance regarding squatting, unlawful assembly without a permit etc.

Right, back to heart of the article...should the chancellor step down because the police pepper sprayed students who refused to comply with police demands to vacate the area?

According to the English professor, she should. I admit I have my own preconceptions about university English 'professors', but I do not agree with that the chancellor should resign because one officer decided to season a small group of college kids. If anyone is to be punished, it should be those people who broke the law, either the officer who pepper sprayed the students and/or the students for violating some ordinance regarding squatting, unlawful assembly without a permit etc.

I don't think the chancellor should step down. I think she is sufficiently embarrassed by her initial actions that she will take appropriate steps to remedy the situation.

As far as whether the students were breaking laws . . . well that is a trickier issue. They would be required to comply with lawful police commands. Therefore, one of the initial questions is whether the command to disperse was lawful. There are no quick and easy answers.

The 11 students (mostly girls) did not break any laws. The quad at UC Davis is a public area. No permits are required to sit anywhere. During nice weather, students sit everywhere, including where the students were pepper sprayed. By the time the students were pepper sprayed, the tents were gone. So, the students broke no law and did not resist an illegal assault. The videos give a true and accurate portrayal of what happened.

As far as whether the students were breaking laws . . . well that is a trickier issue. They would be required to comply with lawful police commands. Therefore, one of the initial questions is whether the command to disperse was lawful. There are no quick and easy answers.

It is an easy answer. The tents were gone, which the police were sent into remove, when the students were pepper sprayed. The police had no lawful basis to move the students. Even if they did, it is illegal to use such brutal force when there is no resistance. They don't even do that in prisons when prisoners do not resist. The chancellor of UC Davis doesn't want to give up her $500,000.00+ year job, but she must go.

If you and Pike need a Job, I'm sure Bashar al-Assad would like to hire you to shoot protesters in Syria.