UC Davis professor demands chancellor resign over pepper-spraying of students

As far as whether the students were breaking laws . . . well that is a trickier issue. They would be required to comply with lawful police commands. Therefore, one of the initial questions is whether the command to disperse was lawful. There are no quick and easy answers.

It is an easy answer. The tents were gone, which the police were sent into remove, when the students were pepper sprayed. The police had no lawful basis to move the students. Even if they did, it is illegal to use such brutal force when there is no resistance. They don't even do that in prisons when prisoners do not resist. The chancellor of UC Davis doesn't want to give up her $500,000.00+ year job, but she must go.

I'll take your word for it, the students weren't breaking any law(s). However, do the actions of one police officer dictate that the chancellor must resign?

In my opinion, no. Unless, it can be proved that she directed the officers the officers to remove the students using any means possible, but that would have to be proven first. I think the correct course of action is to reprimand the lone wolf officer, not the university chancellor. I think it's sets a bad precedent if university chancellors, or anyone in a position of power, start getting axed for one-time actions of some goon subordinate.

california doesn't have an interfering with police officers law? werent the students trying to block the cops' path after they had prisoners?

seems like a stupid thing to do. when the cops tell you to move and warn you a few times, just move.

or get sprayed with some hot pepper and cry like a bunch of girls.

Imagine that, it's near impossible to find a video of what lead up to incident. Here's one that shows about two and a half minutes of footage prior to what everyone else has seen. I wish there was another two minutes because I bet this would be even less of a story.

0:01 - Officer politely asks asks jobless student with 100K in student loans and Art History Degree to move.

0:07 - Jobless student with 100K in student loans and Art History Degree says 'You're shooting me for sitting here...Just making sure. That's fine.'

0:28 - A member of the group says 'Put your faces down' and they all follow.

0:48 - Officer gets out pepper spray

1:06 - Girl operating camera shouts to group 'Keep your eyes closed'

1:09 - Protester comes in and says 'All you guys might want to back of the walk'

1:12 - Repeats himself

1:21 - Camera girl again yells 'Close your eyes'

1:25 - She then starts ranting 'Protect Yourself'

1:41 - Members of the crowd start calling for a friend 'Alee' to get off the walk

2:12 - Officer reaches down and tries to remove a protestor by pulling on her. Didn't budge.

2:27 - Spraying starts and this is where nearly all the video on the internet start.

*****My favorite part.if you can stomach to go any further is when they become poor children in the eyes of the camera operator.

This is a big joke to these protestors. They think they are untouchable and don't have to follow any rules. They were asked to move, they didn't and paid a real small price for it. Their attempts at their protestor merit badge failed miserably. Go ahead and try to turn this into Tiananmen Square. I think everyone has done a pretty solid job of it so far.

Your video didn't show anything new. However I hear the officers had to respond to this call right before their donut break...so that probably comes into play here too.

I gotta say, after watching that video again and seeing the tires on some of those cops, I could very well believe that. :lol:

That btw is something I have never understood with police. Always thought they should be in pretty good physical condition, not say military condition but not far behind and you see it all the time. I'll save that discussion for some other time.

How does 'you sound like you need a hug' translate into a personal attack? It seems pretty pathetic to get defensive about something as arbitrary as that, when you contributed absolutely nothing to thread and in-fact degraded it by saying nobody cares. I see a lot of contradiction in this train of thought. If you in fact had nothing to add to this story, then why did you get in here and say nobody cares? Do you see this contradiction?

Anyways, this is a very interesting story just because of the civility of the protest. You'd think an officer wouldn't be stupid enough to pepper spray innocent students in front of a bunch of students with social mediums right in their hand.

As far as whether the students were breaking laws . . . well that is a trickier issue. They would be required to comply with lawful police commands. Therefore, one of the initial questions is whether the command to disperse was lawful. There are no quick and easy answers.

It is an easy answer. The tents were gone, which the police were sent into remove, when the students were pepper sprayed. The police had no lawful basis to move the students. Even if they did, it is illegal to use such brutal force when there is no resistance. They don't even do that in prisons when prisoners do not resist. The chancellor of UC Davis doesn't want to give up her $500,000.00+ year job, but she must go.

I'll take your word for it, the students weren't breaking any law(s). However, do the actions of one police officer dictate that the chancellor must resign?

i'm pretty sure surrounding a group of officers and not letting them go is against the law in california. it has to be.

i've seen other videos (not shown by the media of course) that show the students chanting that they wont let the officers leave the area as they surround them. that's gotta be against the law. i'll look into it more later.

How does 'you sound like you need a hug' translate into a personal attack? It seems pretty pathetic to get defensive about something as arbitrary as that, when you contributed absolutely nothing to thread and in-fact degraded it by saying nobody cares. I see a lot of contradiction in this train of thought. If you in fact had nothing to add to this story, then why did you get in here and say nobody cares? Do you see this contradiction?

Anyways, this is a very interesting story just because of the civility of the protest. You'd think an officer wouldn't be stupid enough to pepper spray innocent students in front of a bunch of students with social mediums right in their hand.

I think I made my contribution to the story quite well and that is this thing is getting completely blown out of proportion in the grand scheme of things. A cop pepper sprays some protesters? I'm supposed to be up in arms about that? Seriously? The cop was wrong. He should be punished. If he is not, then whoever is his boss should be but who really cares? Even with the more current headlines of protesters getting the boot from their little camps, who cares? The sad thing is the real 99% doesn't even know what these people are protesting about anymore because all they hear is their sob stories about not being able to have tents in the park or being told to leave at night and come back in the morning, getting pepper sprayed for not moving. These people have completely made this protest about themselves and not about reform on Wall Street or Washington and that's why the real 99% don't care anymore. I mean come on, what's the biggest occupy Lincoln story? The guy had a fire in his tipi and had to take it down. Way to change the country there dude. You yourself just proved the point even more by saying its about how they are protest and not what they are protesting about.

How many people get murdered every day? How many people get raped? How many die from smoking? How many die from alcohol? How many die while texting through a red light? Where are those protests? or are those just things we accept in everyday life now? Why am I supposed to care that some college kids got pepper sprayed in the face? If a cop tells you to move, why don't you move and come back the next day, even if they cop was wrong to tell you to move? Why make it about yourself? Answer, because they want to make about themselves. I find it very ironic how some people get so enthralled with something like some protesters being treated bad but people are dying, not injured, dying every day around them from things that could be prevented and they don't even blink.

I am very sincere about this when I say that after reading how passionate and upset people seem to get over watching some protesters get treated like this all I can can say is I wish I lived that sheltered of a life.

Even with the more current headlines of protesters getting the boot from their little camps, who cares?

This guy cares.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6TYegabREQ

• 2 weeks later...

Right, back to heart of the article...should the chancellor step down because the police pepper sprayed students who refused to comply with police demands to vacate the area?

According to the English professor, she should. I admit I have my own preconceptions about university English 'professors', but I do not agree with that the chancellor should resign because one officer decided to season a small group of college kids. If anyone is to be punished, it should be those people who broke the law, either the officer who pepper sprayed the students and/or the students for violating some ordinance regarding squatting, unlawful assembly without a permit etc.

The 11 students (mostly girls) did not break any laws. The quad at UC Davis is a public area. No permits are required to sit anywhere. During nice weather, students sit everywhere, including where the students were pepper sprayed. By the time the students were pepper sprayed, the tents were gone. So, the students broke no law and did not resist an illegal assault. The videos give a true and accurate portrayal of what happened.

Davis resident here!

Unfortunately for these Davis students, they were blocking a police car. When they were told to move, they locked arms. That, according to police procedure, is the end of a non-violent protest.

Probably should have researched that little factoid.

Having said that I was quite glad to be in Hawaii instead of home when all that crap hit. My wife, a Davis teacher as well.

Right, back to heart of the article...should the chancellor step down because the police pepper sprayed students who refused to comply with police demands to vacate the area?

According to the English professor, she should. I admit I have my own preconceptions about university English 'professors', but I do not agree with that the chancellor should resign because one officer decided to season a small group of college kids. If anyone is to be punished, it should be those people who broke the law, either the officer who pepper sprayed the students and/or the students for violating some ordinance regarding squatting, unlawful assembly without a permit etc.

The 11 students (mostly girls) did not break any laws. The quad at UC Davis is a public area. No permits are required to sit anywhere. During nice weather, students sit everywhere, including where the students were pepper sprayed. By the time the students were pepper sprayed, the tents were gone. So, the students broke no law and did not resist an illegal assault. The videos give a true and accurate portrayal of what happened.

Davis resident here!

Unfortunately for these Davis students, they were blocking a police car. When they were told to move, they locked arms. That, according to police procedure, is the end of a non-violent protest.

Having said that I was quite glad to be in Hawaii instead of home when all that crap hit. My wife, a Davis teacher as well.

Locking arms is an act of violence according to Davis police procedures? If true . . . wowza.

Davis resident here!

If this nation has reduced itself to having its police force react brutally to passive citizen resistance, then we have become as uncivil as the nations we have criticized.

Some of the UC Davis police officers were thugs, and should be prosecuted.

Davis resident here!

Locking arms is an act of violence according to Davis police procedures? If true . . . wowza.

So what would you do if you walked out the door to leave and there was a group of people with locked arms all around your car? and don't say call the cops! Go sing Kumbaya with them?

Davis resident here!

If this nation has reduced itself to having its police force react brutally to passive citizen resistance, then we have become as uncivil as the nations we have criticized.

blocking police cars isn't passive resistance. Statement FAIL!

blocking police cars isn't passive resistance. Statement FAIL!

The police could have walked around the demonstrators with alot less effort.

I often see a walking policeman alter his direction of motion when someone is blocking his path in front of him.

Traffic often blocks police cars.

There was no real emergency for them to respond to, only one of their own creation.

The 11 students (mostly girls) did not break any laws. The quad at UC Davis is a public area. No permits are required to sit anywhere. During nice weather, students sit everywhere, including where the students were pepper sprayed. By the time the students were pepper sprayed, the tents were gone. So, the students broke no law and did not resist an illegal assault.

The videos give a true and accurate portrayal of what happened.

Davis resident here!

I think so. At least that is the line being trotted out here.

Davis is a very odd place. It's residents embrace the "Weird" aspect of the University, yet have always complained about students downtown. They tout over and over how Green we all are, and pass "Progressive" legislature, yet we one ofnthe highest median home prices in the state, and force out people in low-income housing so phd candidates can live close (ie, the right kind of poor people).

It maybe is the best example of NIMBYism I've ever seen.

The 11 students (mostly girls) did not break any laws. The quad at UC Davis is a public area. No permits are required to sit anywhere. During nice weather, students sit everywhere, including where the students were pepper sprayed. By the time the students were pepper sprayed, the tents were gone. So, the students broke no law and did not resist an illegal assault.

The videos give a true and accurate portrayal of what happened.

Davis resident here!

I think so. At least that is the line being trotted out here.

Davis is a very odd place. It's residents embrace the "Weird" aspect of the University, yet have always complained about students downtown. They tout over and over how Green we all are, and pass "Progressive" legislature, yet we one ofnthe highest median home prices in the state, and force out people in low-income housing so phd candidates can live close (ie, the right kind of poor people).

It maybe is the best example of NIMBYism I've ever seen.

I doubt they can make it hold up in court. It simply isn't violence by definition.