Defensive Recruiting...

Ok guys, been a while since I've actually checked out the general Recruiting forum. Been just checking out the profile updates lately. Decided it has been a bit too long, and I want to get a little bit of conversation going here.

Well, with the prospect of finishing anywhere from 10-3 to 8-5 staring us in the face, the regular season will be over after Friday. I want to see us show up pissed against Iowa, rip them a new one, and come focused and prepared to the bowl game (hopefully against a mid-level SEC team or Texas). Actually SHOW UP, handle business, and I feel ripping off two wins will do wonders for recruiting going into the offseason.

Now as for the actual recruiting, how do you see us ending up? What are our biggest needs in rounding out this class?

We currently have 3 LB's and an end in the class on defense.

DE: I think we really REALLY need another good quality end. Regardless of your opinion of the guys currently on the roster, Cam, Emart, and Williams Beyond that, we have Ankrah for one more year and NO proven talent waiting in the wings. Vestal was supposed to be a good one, we'll see how that goes. The other guys would be a pleasant surprise if they found a way to contribute. McMullen looks to be a really good one, but I feel we need at the least one more end in this class.

DT: Has me somewhat less worried. Baker will be a senior next year, and Rome looks to be a good one to step up and start next year. After that, Guy made the travel squad this year due to injuries and should therefore be ready to contribute next year, and hopefully Peat Jr. pans out like we all hope he will. That said, literally no one is on our radar at DT that I know of. Unless someone comes out of the blue, I don't see us taking one this year.

LB: The coaches are clearly concerned with LB with all the offers going out. I think we take a max of 4, but here's a challenge for someone who really pays attention to recruiting. Could someone come up with a "ranking order" or list of linebackers you'd take in this class, in order? I know a lot of names thrown around (Afalava, Nance, Lambert, Neal) but I have no idea how talented they really are.

I feel unfortunately that we're not very likely to hold onto Debo. Can't blame the kid, though I feel bad. He can do wonders for this defense and the athleticism of the linebacker corps. But who knows? Perhaps JP or Bo put on the full-court press to keep him, make him realize how well they can groom him for the NFL, and find a way to convince him NU is the place to be (It obviously is :D).

I feel we're much more likely to keep Zaire. In fact, I'm not really worried about that at all-- maybe I should be. I just think they realize how sorely we need him to replace Lavonte and will continue to recruit him accordingly.

Compton only has one year left, but at least luckily we have Roach and Slaughter who may contribute soon.

Secondary: Concerns a lot of people, and I definitely think we need to find an answer at safety next year. The coaches, due to eligibility rules, won't be able to play Cassidy next year, regardless of how badly the feel the need to get burnt deep. And Stafford cannot give up on plays. Hoping Stafford improves in coverage and Cooper/Smith/Osborne lock down the other spot. We need to get some Bullocks-like safeties roaming back there again! I feel the answer is probably already on the roster, but Diggs would be an awesome get, and of course we take him if he wants N.

Cornerback is a bit more murky. SJB has kind of disappeared since Ohio State, though he did look good in the Minnesota game. Hopefully he improves in every facet over the offseason and is a stud for us next year. Green, despite being reemed endlessly at the beginning of the year, is improving slowly but surely. I think his questionable play early in the game last Saturday was a clean, excellent play. I think he's gotten a lot of valuable reps this season, and has the potential to take over next year at the other outside spot.

We clearly need to the nickle and dime spots, though, and acquire more depth. A lot of CB offers have also gone out lately. I think we probably get Seisay from the JUCO ranks, as he is a STRONG NU lean at this point. He is a talented kid and I could see him coming in to make a Gomes like impact next year. If all goes according to plan, you also get Jackson here soon. He reminds me so much of Fonzie... A fearless player that brings a ton of physicality and some swagger to his position. Honestly, those two alone do wonders, but of course you probably take one or two more. Who do you guys feel we take?

Personally, I feel our biggest needs are DE and LB. We simply have to get bigger and better in those spots to contain both the power running games and mobile QB's in the Big 10. The problem with that is that most freshman are not physically (not to mention lack the knowledge of our D) to contribute right away. Therefore, guys in this recruiting class may not figure into our plans until a year or two down the road.

Apologies for the length of the post, but I hope some of you recruiting junkies appreciate the insight and have thoughts to share. GBR!

DE: Vestal has the size to be an Adam Carriker type end, however, I can see him dropping inside very easily. McMullen is and has been our #1 target at the position and holding onto him could come down to who OSU hires as their coach and who they then go after. Watch for Taiwan Johnson out of Texas and Nate Iese who will be in town

LB: On top of having Rose, Anderson(hopefully), and Debo(looking bleak) I would say the list would go QL, Nance, Neal, and than anyone. Best chance IMO is Neal. QL probably ends up at Bama and I can see Nance at Boomer. Neal is down to West Virginia and NU. Maybe another JUCO LB is found.

CB:Green has been the answer opposite of Fonzie, he has been playing very well of late and hopefully can continue that through the offseason. Sounds more and more likely that CJ qualifies and gets here for the spring. Seisay would be a huge get and sounds very promising. A guy you missed that is rumored to be "very promising" is Marcus Rios. He will be in town this weekend. Brandon Beaver is still out there, but is looking less and less likely which is not overly suprising. At safety, Diggs and probably only Diggs.

Needs are as you stated. Results to fill those needs, TBD.......

• Fire 2

I hope we snag Rios too Paul. We need to add some guys at CB fast. Lazarri Middleton left the team. Mitchell likely needs a map, some spelunking gear, and some good luck to get out of Bo's doghouse. Cooper back to safety, which couldn't have happened soon enough.Please alert the proper authorities if you've seen Dijon Washington. Ciante is up and down, but usually down. Blatchford is back next year, but that's not saying much. Thorell is gone.

Now, hopefully Ciante and Mitchell grow and can contribute more effectively in the future. But for now, we're really lacking on depth. Green will probably man one outside spot next year. I think that is a given. Hopefully SJB, Seisay, or Jackson could hold down the other spot. I think the two that don't win the other corner spot are probably our nickel and dime backs next year. SJB seems most likely on the outside since he's got the size to match up with anyone... but we shall wait and see how that goes. Therefore I predict Jackson and Seisay as our 3rd/4th next year since they just seem to be such an upgrade over what we have now.

I could be totally wrong about that forever, having not seen the players practice or anything like that. Ciante could very well be our dime next year as well. Depends on how quickly the newcomers pick up the scheme, and alot of THAT depends on Raymond's teaching.

Daniel Gray had to cancel his official this weekend due to a family member passing. That's unfortunate, and it looks like this year it is Jackson, Seisay and Rios at CB for NU or bust. We're really not in on anyone else. Beaver ain't coming here, and it's too bad Donaldven Manning, VT commit, couldn't have given us more of a look.

+1 for the LB list.

I also forgot to mention Vincent Valentine in my earlier post. He's had NU as his top dog all along, but there honestly hasn't been much news on the guys. That's the only thing that worries me. I think he's likely N though when the dust clears... he is a low profile recruit (in the sense he's not one to make a big deal about the recruiting process, not that he's not a quality player) who chose to focus on his season as opposed to his college choice.

Some NUT thinks he's going to surprise people with some news November 29th though. :D

Our lack of playmakers along the defensive line really worries me. I hope Bo seriously reevaluates the scheme this offseason and switches to an attacking McBride-esque D if he determines we don't have the horses to make the current scheme work.

Along the defensive line, right now, we don't. Rushing four men all the time requires lineman that can actually disengage their blocker and get pressure on the quarterback. They're who we rely on for pressure while everybody else plays coverage. And the guys we currently have don't seem to be able to do that, save for Baker and occasionally Cam or EMart.

Dang, remember the way Cam kicked off the season against Western Kentucky? I had such high hopes for him this year. Lately he just looks slow and unathletic. Somewhere, Tom Selleck is rubbing his stache and wondering where it all went wrong...

• 1 month later...