B10 Bowl Season

Creed

As a B1G fan, I obviously want the B1G to do well in bowl games. To me there is a huge trade-off in having Mich in the Sugar Bowl. Sure it means more exposure and it looks like a winnable game vs Houston but it also means the B1G is "playing up" against SEC and B12 teams in all other bowls. This has happened in years past and the B1G gets bad match ups and looks horrible.

First, why would Mich get the BCS nod over Boise or K-State who are ranked 4-5 spots ahead? If Oklahoma beats Ok St, does Mich still get in over Ok St? Here's my best scenario for the B1G

Rose: Wisc vs UCLA/Oregon

Cap One: Mich vs USC

Outback: Nebraska vs UGA

Insight: Mich State vs Baylor

Gator: Penn State vs Florida

Meineke Texas: Ohio State vs Texas

Ticket City: Iowa vs SMU/B12

As a B1G fan, I obviously want the B1G to do well in bowl games. To me there is a huge trade-off in having Mich in the Sugar Bowl. Sure it means more exposure and it looks like a winnable game vs Houston but it also means the B1G is "playing up" against SEC and B12 teams in all other bowls. This has happened in years past and the B1G gets bad match ups and looks horrible.

First, why would Mich get the BCS nod over Boise or K-State who are ranked 4-5 spots ahead? If Oklahoma beats Ok St, does Mich still get in over Ok St? Here's my best scenario for the B1G

Rose: Wisc vs UCLA/Oregon

Cap One: Mich vs USC

Outback: Nebraska vs UGA

Insight: Mich State vs Baylor

Gator: Penn State vs Florida

Meineke Texas: Ohio State vs Texas

Ticket City: Iowa vs SMU/B12

BCS bowl committees can take whomever they please so long as the team has 9 wins and is in the top 14 of the BCS rankings. Michigan would be MUCH more attractive (prestige, huge national fanbase, history) than either Boise or K-State. They're almost a lock to grab a spot provided they finish in the top 14, which looks a little shaky right now.

BCS bowls only have to take one non-AQ per year, which will be Houston this year. Boise will almost certainly not make it.

This really doesn't fit in anywhere else, but...

If the BCS did a matchup [1 and 2 play in the MNC] and then 3 plays 10 and so on, you'd get match ups like this:

Alabama-LSU

Oklahoma-Oklahoma State

Stanford-Oregon

Virginia Tech-Arkansas

Houston-Boise State

Not bad.

I guess I'm missing your point. 3 of the games being in-conference rematches, and one of them being 2 small conference schools not getting the chance to prove themselves against AQ conference opponents is about the worst set of match-ups I can think of.

Don't be surprised to see a Ohio State vs Florida game in the Gator Bowl, I know they are wanting to see this one.

http://blogs.orlando...te-matchup.html

I wouldn't think that would be the best move from a financial stand point. How many Gator fans are going to spend several days in the area rather than just day tripping it down for the game?

That being said the bitterness will be amusing.