DC Candidates?

Do you really believe Barney will not be back next year or in a office roll?

yup

I think Bo will give him 2 years to get things moving. If the line doesn't improve in that time frame. I think Bo will push for him to move into a office roll, but I don't see Bo firing him or TO letting him be fired.

I think Bo has already given him 4. Bo himself likely only has 2 years left, pending the outcome of the 2013 season. He won't hitch his wagon to Barney. That season is set up perfectly for an NC run. Barney's time is nearing it's end. If not this year then next - but I'd like to see Bo start planning for 2013 now, instead of after next season. Next season looks like a semi-rebuilding year at this point...lets build for 13'.

Why do you think this (just curious)

Because Bo 2013 is set up like 07 Kansas. @Michigan, @Penn State is the entire schedule assuming we don't lay an egg in a game we're favored by 10+. Michigan w/out Robinson and virtually every other 11' starter. Penn State coming out of who knows what kind of mess. Neither worries me greatly at this point...though that's a long ways out.

Bo should roll through that schedule with a team heavy on junior/senior talent. Heard/Green/Abdulla/Martinez/Bell/Turner/Enunwa. Our OL should finally be solid with Sirles/ARod/Pensick/Long/Qvale/Moore/Peat, etc.. The defense will be rebuilding next year, but by 13' we'll see guys like Ankrah/Rome/Guy/Green/SJB/Osborne/Evans etc really stepping up. This plus a JUCO recruit or two and we should have one of the most complete teams in a decade.

Bo has 2 years IMO - pending the outcome of that season. Win 9 games in 13' and he wont' be here in 14' - but he has a very good oportunity to use that season to build the foundation for the rest of his career at NU. He's not going anywhere after 12'...it will be a lackluster 9 win season if we're lucky and we'll know that going in. 13' is the key though and he needs to be thinking that way IMO.

Do you really believe Barney will not be back next year or in a office roll?

yup

I think Bo will give him 2 years to get things moving. If the line doesn't improve in that time frame. I think Bo will push for him to move into a office roll, but I don't see Bo firing him or TO letting him be fired.

I think Bo has already given him 4. Bo himself likely only has 2 years left, pending the outcome of the 2013 season. He won't hitch his wagon to Barney. That season is set up perfectly for an NC run. Barney's time is nearing it's end. If not this year then next - but I'd like to see Bo start planning for 2013 now, instead of after next season. Next season looks like a semi-rebuilding year at this point...lets build for 13'.

Barney just finished his first year with this new offense. Bo will give him time to adjust. Bo will not be fired from NU unless he has a very bad year. I don't see Bo winning less then 8 games & that will be good enough to keep him here as long as he wants to stay.

^ barney was worthless in his 3rd year with the old offense. he needs to go - we're just delaying the inevitable. see Watson/Gilmore 09'. Think if this last season has been Beck's second season. We be sitting at 10 wins right now, and we wouldn't have gotten blown out by Wisconsin. That's what I'm saying about building towards 13'. Keep Barney an extra year, move him after 12' and we likely cost ourself 1 win in 13' traning a new OL coach during a season when we should be rolling IMO.

Win 9 games in 13' and he wont' be here in 14' -

Steve Pederson is that you?

Have you looked at the schedule? If he only wins 9 games it means he likely lost to the only 2 difficult games he had (michigan/penn state). He also loses to either Michigan State or Iowa...which means no appearance in the B1G championship game for the 3rd season in a row. It also means he finishes the season 1-3...during a season when we had 9 wins essentially built into the schedule. That'll be a tough finish, and a tough sell to a fanbase that likely just endured a 7-8 win season the year prior.

Win 9 games in 13' and he wont' be here in 14' -

Steve Pederson is that you?

Have you looked at the schedule? If he only wins 9 games it means he likely lost to the only 2 difficult games he had (michigan/penn state). He also loses to either Michigan State or Iowa...which means no appearance in the B1G championship game for the 3rd season in a row. It also means he finishes the season 1-3...during a season when we had 9 wins essentially built into the schedule. That'll be a tough finish, and a tough sell to a fanbase that likely just endured a 7-8 win season the year prior.

This statement is slightly ignorant Chris. Do you truly know how good or bad the freshmen/sophomores are at MSU, MINN, IOWA, etc. are? Maybe coach Kill will turn out to be a better coach than you think; maybe Northwestern is a top 10 team that year. You don't know, none of us do. All that aside, I do agree that 2013 will be an important year. We at least need to make the conference championship game. If not, Bo may rightly be on his way out then.

I understand that our schedule looks very easy at this point & may be very easy when '13 rolls around, but you CANNOT fire a coach after a 9 win season. I'm asking beacuse I am unsure, but were you over 18 when we fired Solich? The reason I ask is your theory is very close to what happened in '02 & '03. I would hope we do not repeat our mistake. We set a standered that did not sit well with many coaches & repeating that mistake will kill any chances of getting a quailty coach in the door.

I understand that our schedule looks very easy at this point & may be very easy when '13 rolls around, but you CANNOT fire a coach after a 9 win season. I'm asking beacuse I am unsure, but were you over 18 when we fired Solich? The reason I ask is your theory is very close to what happened in '02 & '03. I would hope we do not repeat our mistake. We set a standered that did not sit well with many coaches & repeating that mistake will kill any chances of getting a quailty coach in the door.

The difference between what happened in 02' and 03' (assuming the 13' season plays out like it looks to and is easy)...will be that Frank had just made necessary staff adjustments that yielded imediate results. Bo fielded one of the more dominant defenses Nebraska had seen in a while. however, Bo 13' will still have essentially the same staff as he did in 12' when he only won 8. Add that to the questionable promotion of JP/Beck, retaining Cotton, etc. There's a lot of hypotheticals here...but this if everything stays the course this is very much how 13' could look.

Frank went from 7 wins to 10 and lost his job after hiring one of the best DCs in the game. If Bo wins 9 in 13', he will have gone from 8 to 9 wins, never doing anything to really improve his staff/results.

If I was running an 80 million a year business (which Bo kind of does)...I wouldn't be hiring entry/junior level staff into executive positions (which is what JP/Beck are).

The difference between what happened in 02' and 03' (assuming the 13' season plays out like it looks to and is easy)...will be that Frank had just made necessary staff adjustments that yielded imediate results. Bo fielded one of the more dominant defenses Nebraska had seen in a while. however, Bo 13' will still have essentially the same staff as he did in 12' when he only won 8. Add that to the questionable promotion of JP/Beck, retaining Cotton, etc. There's a lot of hypotheticals here...but this if everything stays the course this is very much how 13' could look.

Frank went from 7 wins to 10 and lost his job after hiring one of the best DCs in the game. If Bo wins 9 in 13', he will have gone from 8 to 9 wins, never doing anything to really improve his staff/results.

If I was running an 80 million a year business (which Bo kind of does)...I wouldn't be hiring entry/junior level staff into executive positions (which is what JP/Beck are).

Watson & Gilmore have been let go. Beck is a unknown, but if he continues to improve I think he will be a very solid OC. Fisher was also a unknown, but I feel the WR have improved under him (kinda hard not to for both). We will never hire the sexy coaches under Bo or TO. It isn't their style.

As long as TO is here I don't see Bo going anywhere, without a overwhelming reason & only getting 9 wins in '13 is not enough to send him packing.

But firing Frank in 2003 was the biggest business blunder this corporation has made in the last 40 years. We want to repeat that mistake? Yikes.

To carry the business analogy further, Bo is still turning a profit. This program continues to make money, so why fire the CEO? Not a wise business move.

Lets compare Bo in 13' after a 9 win season, to Frank in 03' after a 10 win season. Assuming we lose bowl (which I/Vegas think we will) and get 8 wins next year (I'm predicting 7-9 so I'll split the diff).

Frank.

seasons: 6

overall record: 59-19 (75.6%)

AP rankings: #19, #3, #8, #8, NR, #19

Accomplishments: 1 conference championship, 1 MNC apperance - this at a time when both Colorado and K-State were highly ranked North opponents

Bo

overall record: 55-25 (68.75%)

AP rankings: NR, #14, #20, #22?, NR, #22?

Accomplishments: none - this at a time when Colorado and K-State were going through the worst stretches in decades, and Missouri, KU, Iowa State were all down.

If you look at the winning percentage alone, Frank won 7% more games. In a 13 game season that 1 more win per year. His teams consistently finished ranked higher. He had just fielded one of the best defenses in decades. He was a few years removed from a national title appearance, and was't coaching in the Big12 North Bo was coaching in. He shouldn't have been fired. If Bo goes 8-5, 9-4 the next 2 seasons...he will still have no tophies, and will have not even made an appearance in a B1G championship. The argument against Bo will be A LOT stronger than the one against Frank.

Lets compare Bo in 13' after a 9 win season, to Frank in 03' after a 10 win season. Assuming we lose bowl (which I/Vegas think we will) and get 8 wins next year (I'm predicting 7-9 so I'll split the diff).

Frank.

overall record: 59-19 (75.6%)

AP rankings: #19, #3, #8, #8, NR, #19

Accomplishments: 1 conference championship, 1 MNC apperance - this at a time when both Colorado and K-State were highly ranked North opponents

Bo

overall record: 55-25 (68.75%)

AP rankings: NR, #14, #20, #22?, NR, #22?

Accomplishments: none - this at a time when Colorado and K-State were going through the worst stretches in decades, and Missouri, KU, Iowa State were all down.

If you look at the winning percentage alone, Frank won 7% more games. In a 13 game season that 1 more win per year. His teams consistently finished ranked higher. He had just fielded one of the best defenses in decades. He was a few years removed from a national title appearance, and was't coaching in the Big12 North Bo was coaching in. He shouldn't have been fired. If Bo goes 8-5, 9-4 the next 2 seasons...he will still have no tophies, and will have not even made an appearance in a B1G championship. The argument against Bo will be A LOT stronger than the one against Frank.

I agree Frank had better stats, but I also don't think he should have been fired in '03. Can you show me a coach with better stats that was let go for performance? I'm sure I can show you many coaches that received a raise for lessor performances.

To carry the business analogy further, Bo is still turning a profit. This program continues to make money, so why fire the CEO? Not a wise business move.

Because a 1-2% return on investment will never get you to the top. (especially an investment that should be able to return more) A status quo objective gets you ho-hum returns. Sure, we might never lose 5 games in a season (some people seem content enough never winning a championship so long as they know that)...but after 6 years of ho-hum results, especially in the environment Bo has been able to be a coach in (down north, 13' schedule)...people are going to start wanting his return to take advantage of that and beat the benchmark.

For the record, this is all hypothetical based on a 13' season which is very far away. But I do think Bo should be preparing to take advantage of it...and if it turns out the way it's shaping up to be and he doesn't? Well, 4 losses against a bunch of 7-5 teams is gonna sting a little.