Cross Division "Rival"

Man it's sad when the best fan's in college football are out classed by a fan from another team on Husker site.

Best fans in college football are in Columbia, SC. Try selling out every home game during a 21 game losing streak(won the first game in 98 lost the last ten then lost all 11 in 99).

Oh man...for your own sake please disown that comment. You picked the wrong fan base to make that pitch to....

Its just my opinion. And Im pretty biased obviously being a fan, just like they are. But I mean theres no doubt both teams' fans are pretty intense and top of the line.

Look man, I'm with you. We have great fans...but we don't have the sell out streak they do or travel nearly as well. Sure we play under different conditions but it is what it is.

MSU and IU actually have a rivalry by the way.

They have a trophy game.

The only game that makes no sense is UI vs PU

if you actually believe that Indiana and MSU are REALLY rivals I don't know what to tell you, the "rivalry" is a joke with MSU fans, the MSU/PSU game made more sense imo, and was designated as a rivalry game when PSU joined the B1G and not only also has a trophy, but was scheduled during rivalry week as well, that would've made more sense than Indiana...

Agreed on it being more of a rivalry but that trophy is a joke :D

lol, yeah, the trophy was horrible...

:D

the whole trophy game thing reminded me of a joke a friend of mine made years ago (when this joke would've been more relevant than it is now), an MSU fan was going on about their trophy games and how they had more than us, blah, blah, blah...

MSUfan: if your game with OSU is sooooo great and such a rivalry, why isn't there a trophy for the winner...?

UMfriend: there is...it's called the Big Ten championship trophy...

Haha, sad (for the rest of the conference) but all too true.

I'd rather have no trophy than that monster of a bookshelf they've got. If I were a player and my team won that thing I wouldn't touch it.

small_land_grant_trophy_450.jpg

as Charles Barkley would say, "turrible", and what's no the side of it...? is that an 8 track or cassette rack...?

Hahah I thought that was an old desk phone on there. That's awesomely tacky.

This is a new concept for Nebraska fans....playing a competitive and full schedule.

Even in the old Big 8 (of course scholarship limits have been reduced) Nebraska would play maybe 2 tough games a year......of course in many years in the Big 12 we might have 2-3 tough games in a good year. The north division was sad many years. We were down for several Callahan years so didn't matter the competition.

now we have 5, 6 sometimes 7 competitive games in the Big 10 per year.

This is off-topic. What does the old Big 8 have to do with the protected rivalry game in the new B1G? The question was, why does MSU get a walkover every year. While every other team plays a tough opponent, they get a free win toward the division standings. Plus, they get to rest up for a week, so the wear and tear impacts the entire season.

I'm failing to see how this is off-topic? He's making a comparison from the Big 8 days and how our schedule was weak then to how tough it is now. We are whining about it as fans because we "don't want such a tough schedule." Well boo hoo people...........tougher schedules make you a tougher team and I'm all for 'em. I'd much rather play Penn State every year than Indiana. I'd prefer our o.o.c. games to be against schools like LSU or Oregon. It's embarrassing playing teams like FAU on our schedule.

I remember looking at those matchups and wondering wtf? The SEC is pretty even, you got Vandy and UK playing MSU and Ole Miss, Bama-Tennessee(not too even recently), UF-LSU, UGA-AU, USC-Arky, and now Mizzou-TAMU. Although there have been rumors that LSU may be switching to our permanent rival but that remains to be seen.

It was done to preserve rivalries which I have no problem with.

Any change that would screw up the UW-Minnesota rivalry would turn me into a NU hater for life.

Now I realize most great rivalries started way before most of us were born when someones' great granfather soiled the reputation of a neighbor's horse or something, but what has Minnesota done to anyone to EARN? such respect to be considered anyone's Rival?

Since 1949 or whenever they were good?

I remember looking at those matchups and wondering wtf? The SEC is pretty even, you got Vandy and UK playing MSU and Ole Miss, Bama-Tennessee(not too even recently), UF-LSU, UGA-AU, USC-Arky, and now Mizzou-TAMU. Although there have been rumors that LSU may be switching to our permanent rival but that remains to be seen.

Any change that would screw up the UW-Minnesota rivalry would turn me into a NU hater for life.

Now I realize most great rivalries started way before most of us were born when someones' great granfather soiled the reputation of a neighbor's horse or something, but what has Minnesota done to anyone to EARN? such respect to be considered anyone's Rival?

While they haven't done much in the past 60 or so years and very little in the rivalry in the past 10 or so there are a couple things at play...

1. Wisconsin and Minnesota are rivals in many things outside of CFB and even outside of collegiate athletics so it carries over...the Gophers don't have to be great in football for it to be a rivalry.

2. While Minnesota has sucked for the past half century keep in mind that up until Barry the Badgers were just as bad so there was parity and it didn't matter as much that the Gophers weren't doing well. It was kind of like Purdue and Indiana...

I'm conflicted because part of me wants Minnesota to get better so the rivalry will regain a little vigor but the other part of me enjoys seeing them lost to FCS schools so I dunno...at any rate its still a great rivalry. It's the most played in CFB and the third oldest.

MSU and IU actually have a rivalry by the way.

They have a trophy game.

The only game that makes no sense is UI vs PU

if you actually believe that Indiana and MSU are REALLY rivals I don't know what to tell you, the "rivalry" is a joke with MSU fans, the MSU/PSU game made more sense imo, and was designated as a rivalry game when PSU joined the B1G and not only also has a trophy, but was scheduled during rivalry week as well, that would've made more sense than Indiana...

Agreed on it being more of a rivalry but that trophy is a joke :D

lol, yeah, the trophy was horrible...

the whole trophy game thing reminded me of a joke a friend of mine made years ago (when this joke would've been more relevant than it is now), an MSU fan was going on about their trophy games and how they had more than us, blah, blah, blah...

MSUfan: if your game with OSU is sooooo great and such a rivalry, why isn't there a trophy for the winner...?

UMfriend: there is...it's called the Big Ten championship trophy...

Haha, sad (for the rest of the conference) but all too true.

I'd rather have no trophy than that monster of a bookshelf they've got. If I were a player and my team won that thing I wouldn't touch it.

small_land_grant_trophy_450.jpg

as Charles Barkley would say, "turrible", and what's no the side of it...? is that an 8 track or cassette rack...?

Hahah I thought that was an old desk phone on there. That's awesomely tacky.

I was just sure I'd finally discovered "whatever happened to" ... those coin operated telephones in all of the missing phone booths

While they haven't done much in the past 60 or so years and very little in the rivalry in the past 10 or so there are a couple things at play...

1. Wisconsin and Minnesota are rivals in many things outside of CFB and even outside of collegiate athletics so it carries over...the Gophers don't have to be great in football for it to be a rivalry.

2. While Minnesota has sucked for the past half century keep in mind that up until Barry the Badgers were just as bad so there was parity and it didn't matter as much that the Gophers weren't doing well. It was kind of like Purdue and Indiana...

I'm conflicted because part of me wants Minnesota to get better so the rivalry will regain a little vigor but the other part of me enjoys seeing them lost to FCS schools so I dunno...at any rate its still a great rivalry. It's the most played in CFB and the third oldest.

So no farm horse's reputations were sullied?

(a little dissapointed by that.)

I really really hate when they try to manufacture these "rivalries"

Even when skipping every other year, Oklahoma was just fine with me...

1st game I remember watching was the '71 "Game of the Century" and then surviving Switzer and his Scooner..er..Sooner Magic wins at the last half minute of countless games in the '70's.

Having Colorado...and now Iowa? presented as our "Rival" or any of those ugly Participation trophies..It's sorta like being a 3rd string Football player in Jr High all over again and suddenly realizing that the really fat girl in the pep club drew you in the pool as to who she was going to pin the fancy note with glitter and a hersheys kiss glued on it to your chest durring some scarry ceremony in front of the whole school.