Ohio State banned from postseason play in 2012

Nexus

I wasn't aware of the Bobby Lowder story. LINK In fact I wasn't aware that the slimy underbelly of the SEC was so ... slimy.

Outside of Ohio State & Stanford (where I was a student athlete), Auburn is the athletic department with which I have the most direct experience (my first wife is an alum and her brothers both work for the university).

There are actually a lot of really nice kids who go to school there (or at least did 20 years ago) and the folks on the academic side really do work their tails off...but seeing how things were handled with athletes was absolutely mind blowing.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care what school we're talking about (Ohio State, Nebraska, Stanford, Div 2, NAIA)...if a kid wants special treatment he'll be able to find it from somebody...but Auburn is on a completely different level.

I haven't seen a comparison to the USC penalties that came down 2 years ago on this thread. So, is the OSU punishment more or less fair than the USC punishment from 2 years ago.

ESPN had a guy on last night saying OSU got off easy considering the number of players involved, the level of coaching that knew about the violations, and that the ring leader totally escaped punishment. Yeah, these were tattoos and cars, not a $750K house for Toilet Paper's parents, but still, Tressel knew about it and didn't report it.

I could go either way and ultimately OSU and USC will turn out just fine. I'm interested to hear the responses.

Southern Cal was punished for their history, if you followed their scandals in the late 80s and before, they sound remarkably similar to what broke in the 2000s. eOSU had never been caught or at least had evaded knowledge, so they had somewhat of a better reputation.

also I think small private schools have less support than major public ones. No one cares if the NCAA wants to destroy an SMU but they'd have Congressional hearings if they did the same thing to a Texas Michigan.

Southern Cal was punished for their history, if you followed their scandals in the late 80s and before, they sound remarkably similar to what broke in the 2000s. eOSU had never been caught or at least had evaded knowledge, so they had somewhat of a better reputation.

USC got hammered because the issues were across multiple sports & the AD essentially thumbed it's nose at the NCAA.

BTW what's the 'e'(OSU) stand for? That's a new one to me.

Someone mentioned in another thread (it got closed) that they felt bad for the kids who are there and didn't have anything to do with it, citing that everybody involved has left the program. I'd just like to point out that it still wouldn't be right to not hit tOSU with sanctions regardless of who is there and who isn't. The point of sanctions is deter any kind of 'illegal' behavior as deemed by NCAA rules. A debate over whether these rules are fair or justly applied to universities is one thing, but as everything stands now they're what people have to do deal with. If you don't apply sanctions, you're essentially saying they can break the rules as long as everybody involved is fired or leaves.

The NCAA really is in a catch 22 when it hands out punishment. This case and USC are prime examples of it. The people who perpetrated the acts for the most part are long gone and hardly had to pay a dime, while the guys left behind have to pay for they're transgressions. You've got to punish the program some how but post season bans have a lot of collateral damage with them. Scholies, probation, and some form of monetary punishment are probably the best way to hit the program and not affect current students. But you can only go so far with those before you border on the death penalty for a program.

5 year show cause for Coach Tressle is pretty much a death sentence for his career, at least as far as the college game is concerned.

There's a school out there that wants to build its football program. It will petition the NCAA to let them hire Tressle and will sit out three years without a bowl. Tressle will build the program and hit the ground running in three years. He'll get hired and his and his career is far from over.

T_O_B

G>B>R

I haven't seen a comparison to the USC penalties that came down 2 years ago on this thread. So, is the OSU punishment more or less fair than the USC punishment from 2 years ago.

ESPN had a guy on last night saying OSU got off easy considering the number of players involved, the level of coaching that knew about the violations, and that the ring leader totally escaped punishment. Yeah, these were tattoos and cars, not a $750K house for Toilet Paper's parents, but still, Tressel knew about it and didn't report it.

I could go either way and ultimately OSU and USC will turn out just fine. I'm interested to hear the responses.

I posted this when it was first asked way back in September. Here was my response:

USC - Football, basketball, Tennis

OSU - Football

USC - Admitted violations after NCAA reported it to them

OSU - Admitted violations and got the NCAA involved for punishments (self reported)

USC - Dragged their feet in response to the NCAA

OSU - Gave everything requested by the NCAA before requested deadlines

USC - Proof of violations occurring for more than one year

OSU - Proof of violations occurring for only one year.

USC - Failure to show compliance office capable of managing an AD their size

OSU - Had enough people and showed with documentation they exhibited an air of attempted compliance and education.

USC - 10 major violations

OSU - 2 major violations

USC - All involved escaped punishment by leaving for greener pastures prior to punishment.

OSU - Only one left for greener pastures, while the other 4 athletes are remaining to server their punishment. Head coach was forced to resign.

Sucks but at least it's over and the future(outside of competing for a Big Ten title in 2012) is bright.

We currently have 79 scholarship athletes on the roster this year. The limit is 85. 85- 3 = 82. I think we will be ok with the scholarship reductions.

The big time recruits have all stated that the bowl ban in 2012 doesn't really affect their decision so I'm feeling better.

Just have to take it like a champ.

Hopefully this will propel some changes:

1. Gene Smith fired

2. More vigilance over who you recruit and how you monitor them

And can I give a big F U to the Pac-12 commissioner,USC and then rest of the butthurt people who got in the ear of the NCAA to ban a school that wasn't charged with LOIC ?

Let us remember that USC was the school throwing out 6 figure salaries and failing to cooperate with the NCAA NOT OSU.

I posted this when it was first asked way back in September. Here was my response:

OSU - Football

OSU - Admitted violations and got the NCAA involved for punishments (self reported)

OSU - Had enough people and showed with documentation they exhibited an air of attempted compliance and education.

OSU - 2 major violations

USC - All involved escaped punishment by leaving for greener pastures prior to punishment.

OSU - Only one left for greener pastures, while the other 4 athletes are remaining to server their punishment. Head coach was forced to resign.

you forgot one

USC no nexus found with coaching staff.

eOSU head coach learned and concealed it.

OSU - Football

OSU - 2 major violations

you forgot one

USC no nexus found with coaching staff.

eOSU head coach learned and concealed it.

Negative. Refusal to talk isn't the same thing as denial.

could not happen to a better team lol

Which guess what means what game Ohio State will treat as their bowl game and go all out on?

Purdue?

They will fall victim to a plunger rape as well. As well as any team who beat us this past season who is coming to Columbus.

Glad we lost to you guys last year and draw you in Madison. After these late season losses we're going to need every advantage we can get.

could not happen to a better team lol

Which guess what means what game Ohio State will treat as their bowl game and go all out on?

Purdue?

They will fall victim to a plunger rape as well. As well as any team who beat us this past season who is coming to Columbus.

Glad we lost to you guys last year and draw you in Madison. After these late season losses we're going to need every advantage we can get.

Of course there's that seething hatred for Penn State and Wisconsin Ohio State has too. So just because it's an away game doesn't mean we won't try.....just going to be a lot harder.