What U.S. policy/law are you most proud of?

I find this to be less and less true the older I get. Especially if you are talking about religion. There are so many people who instead of debating religion if they feel it is wrong just want to silence it. Why are so many people afraid of religion in the govt.? Why do they fear something so simple as the ten commandments? How does that indoctrinate anyone? If I have a stone tablet of a chinese menu from a restaurant does that mean that Chinese food is now the national food? I truly believe that religious freedom is being trampled by the govt.

Because the government should be religion neutral. There are many religions out there. The state should not be seen to sanction one of them.

This has nothing to do with trampling religious freedom, of which there is an abundance. You are allowed to freely practice just about whatever religion you wish. No religion is being put down. Nobody is being trampled for their religious beliefs. The denying state sanctioning of a particular religion over all others is preventing a lack of religious freedom - that is, it denies the state the ability to trample on anybody's religious beliefs.

For the state to uphold one over the others, now that is trampling.

America is a country for people of all faiths or lack of faith. It is not a Christian state that in its graciousness, tolerates nonbelievers and heathens within its borders ;) It may have been founded by a Christians in an era* where "religious freedom" simply meant "accepting different denominations of Christianity", but the government was meant to be religion-neutral, something I believe is a key pillar of the freedoms and virtues of America.

* And to add, in that era, "equality for all" meant "white, land-owning males."

Quite honestly, I believe there is even an overabundance of Christianity-dominated relics still in place today. Currency which proclaims "In God We Trust." An all-embracing, multicultural society that has a practice of proclaiming allegiance (not mandatory, of course) to "One nation under God" every morning in public schools.

Christians should not feel threatened by this kind of talk. In what possible sense are you being silenced? Or is it merely resentment for not getting preferential treatment over others? Just imagine for a moment, living in a country where Allah or Buddha were on all the currencies, and the object of daily pledges in schools, et cetera - imagine that if you went to court, you must place your hand upon a Hindu holy book and swear to tell the truth, "so help me Vishnu." I'm sure there would be no issues as long as it is a tolerant state and you can practice your own way, freely and without infringement.

But ask yourself: would you feel as a foreigner, an outsider, in a Moslem/Hindu/Buddhist country, or would you feel that the country was your own?

It does not matter what the demographics are, America is not a country comprised of Christians and Outsiders. The government should be taking every step it can and more to ensure the sanctity of this separation - not less.

• Fire 2

I was thinking about this on the drive in this morning. For me it's our protection of freedom of speech. I think the U.S. does more to protect the free flow of ideas (good, bad, offensive, bland, etc.) than any other country on earth.

I think that is a wonderful thing.

Thoughts?

I find this to be less and less true the older I get. Especially if you are talking about religion. There are so many people who instead of debating religion if they feel it is wrong just want to silence it. Why are so many people afraid of religion in the govt.? Why do they fear something so simple as the ten commandments? How does that indoctrinate anyone? If I have a stone tablet of a chinese menu from a restaurant does that mean that Chinese food is now the national food? I truly believe that religious freedom is being trampled by the govt. :dunno

What? I have no idea what you are trying to say. I was talking about freedom of speech . . . you say this is not true and talk about freedom of religion. They are not the same thing.

FYI, preventing excessive entanglement between religion and the government is good for both religion and government. Why would you have the government force your religion (Christianity, I assume) onto people who have a different religion or no religion? I thought you supported freedom.

One way to look at free speech is freedom of the press.

http://www.worldaudit.org/press.htm

No. It's not "one way to look at free speech." It's arguably one aspect of free speech but to impute press onto the rest of the First Amendment is misleading at best.

OK... an "aspect" isn't a way to look at free speech.

If we pass SOPA, how will that effact your opinion of our free speech?

I do not support SOPA. If you want to talk hypotheticals, what if every other country on earth banned all speech?

Let's talk reality, not hypotheticals.

I was thinking about this on the drive in this morning. For me it's our protection of freedom of speech. I think the U.S. does more to protect the free flow of ideas (good, bad, offensive, bland, etc.) than any other country on earth.

Thoughts?

I find this to be less and less true the older I get. Especially if you are talking about religion. There are so many people who instead of debating religion if they feel it is wrong just want to silence it. Why are so many people afraid of religion in the govt.? Why do they fear something so simple as the ten commandments? How does that indoctrinate anyone? If I have a stone tablet of a chinese menu from a restaurant does that mean that Chinese food is now the national food? I truly believe that religious freedom is being trampled by the govt. :dunno

What? I have no idea what you are trying to say. I was talking about freedom of speech . . . you say this is not true and talk about freedom of religion. They are not the same thing.

FYI, preventing excessive entanglement between religion and the government is good for both religion and government. Why would you have the government force your religion (Christianity, I assume) onto people who have a different religion or no religion? I thought you supported freedom.

Apparently you don't know what is going on in schools!! Teachers are not allowed to have freedom of speech. Some school districts don't even allow them to wear crosses. They are not trying to convert anyone but even if they did mention God some school districts would then punish them. I do not want to force anything on anybody but I don't want teachers muzzled either because they believe in God. If you don't believe me go to NYC and try to say anything about God and see what happens. What about a person at graduation who believes and is the Valedictorian? What if they place God as a special being who is important to their life and accomplishment, many if not all schools have silenced them with penalties. They should have the freedom if they are the Valedictorian to make their speech as they see fit. :hmmph

I find this to be less and less true the older I get. Especially if you are talking about religion. There are so many people who instead of debating religion if they feel it is wrong just want to silence it. Why are so many people afraid of religion in the govt.? Why do they fear something so simple as the ten commandments? How does that indoctrinate anyone? If I have a stone tablet of a chinese menu from a restaurant does that mean that Chinese food is now the national food? I truly believe that religious freedom is being trampled by the govt.

Because the government should be religion neutral. There are many religions out there. The state should not be seen to sanction one of them.

This has nothing to do with trampling religious freedom, of which there is an abundance. You are allowed to freely practice just about whatever religion you wish. No religion is being put down. Nobody is being trampled for their religious beliefs. The denying state sanctioning of a particular religion over all others is preventing a lack of religious freedom - that is, it denies the state the ability to trample on anybody's religious beliefs.

For the state to uphold one over the others, now that is trampling.

America is a country for people of all faiths or lack of faith. It is not a Christian state that in its graciousness, tolerates nonbelievers and heathens within its borders ;) It may have been founded by a Christians in an era* where "religious freedom" simply meant "accepting different denominations of Christianity", but the government was meant to be religion-neutral, something I believe is a key pillar of the freedoms and virtues of America.

* And to add, in that era, "equality for all" meant "white, land-owning males."

Quite honestly, I believe there is even an overabundance of Christianity-dominated relics still in place today. Currency which proclaims "In God We Trust." An all-embracing, multicultural society that has a practice of proclaiming allegiance (not mandatory, of course) to "One nation under God" every morning in public schools.

Christians should not feel threatened by this kind of talk. In what possible sense are you being silenced? Or is it merely resentment for not getting preferential treatment over others? Just imagine for a moment, living in a country where Allah or Buddha were on all the currencies, and the object of daily pledges in schools, et cetera - imagine that if you went to court, you must place your hand upon a Hindu holy book and swear to tell the truth, "so help me Vishnu." I'm sure there would be no issues as long as it is a tolerant state and you can practice your own way, freely and without infringement.

But ask yourself: would you feel as a foreigner, an outsider, in a Moslem/Hindu/Buddhist country, or would you feel that the country was your own?

It does not matter what the demographics are, America is not a country comprised of Christians and Outsiders. The government should be taking every step it can and more to ensure the sanctity of this separation - not less.

well, if I lived in Iraq or Iran I could imagine that. If you go to a country that has a certain culture I do not expect to impose my values on them but rather become part of that country. If I do not want to do that I certainly would not expect a whole country to bend to my whim!! In other words I would not be offended to see muslim currency if I lived in a muslim country I would not be offended to see muslim writings and statues in muslim state buildings. That doesn't mean I can't be a christian in that country,well, maybe it does because they would kill me!! :ahhhhhhhh

Thoughts?

Apparently you don't know what is going on in schools!! Teachers are not allowed to have freedom of speech. Some school districts don't even allow them to wear crosses. They are not trying to convert anyone but even if they did mention God some school districts would then punish them. I do not want to force anything on anybody but I don't want teachers muzzled either because they believe in God. If you don't believe me go to NYC and try to say anything about God and see what happens. What about a person at graduation who believes and is the Valedictorian? What if they place God as a special being who is important to their life and accomplishment, many if not all schools have silenced them with penalties. They should have the freedom if they are the Valedictorian to make their speech as they see fit. :hmmph

I have a sinking suspicion that your feelings would be different if these teachers were proselytizing about Islam. In fact . . . I would guess that you would be outraged about it and reference "creeping shariah."

Don't you understand that allowing teachers to preach to kids who are by law not allowed to leave is forcing your religion on them? Try to think about it with a religion that is not your own. Would you be alright with the government forcing your children to listen to a devout Muslim explaining why his or her religion is the only true religion? Me, I'm not OK with teachers preaching ANYTHING regarding religion to my children. That is family business and the government should have no part in it.

Please link to the teachers that are not allowed to wear cross jewelry.

Another worth mentioning is the right to petition for a writ of habeas corpus. If a guy gets thrown in jail, at least he demand the reason he's being held. Habeas corpus prevents the state from throwing people in jail because they are somehow enemies of the state. And forgetting about them.

Too bad its one of the first rights we restrict every time something scurry happens.

Abraham Lincoln trampled on it. That bum.

I would dare say that there were unique extenuating circumstances when Abraham Lincoln suspended civil liberties.

I would not say those same circumstances, nor anything close to resembling those circumstances, is occurring now.

Unless, that is, there's something going on you'd like to tell us (and, by extension Uncle Sam) about?

That "something" would be the so-called War on Terror. Where federal police agents can issue warrants without the approval of a judge and even detain the person in question for speaking of the incident all in the name of security.

Example: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/11/AR2007041102041.html

Under the Patriot Act, the FBI can use the letters to acquire telephone, e-mail, travel and financial records without a judge's approval. Letter recipients are not allowed to disclose their involvement in a request.

well, if I lived in Iraq or Iran I could imagine that. If you go to a country that has a certain culture I do not expect to impose my values on them but rather become part of that country. If I do not want to do that I certainly would not expect a whole country to bend to my whim!! In other words I would not be offended to see muslim currency if I lived in a muslim country I would not be offended to see muslim writings and statues in muslim state buildings. That doesn't mean I can't be a christian in that country,well, maybe it does because they would kill me!! :ahhhhhhhh

Right, and this is what I mean. Iraq is a Muslim state, that is their culture, it's who they are. You living there as a Christian, you are an outsider, and would not expect the whole country to bend to your whim.

The US, however, is not a Christian state. Muslims, atheists, Hindus, etc, are not outsiders who are tolerated here but can't expect to impose "their" values or have the country bend to "their" whim - because Muslims, atheists, Hindus, etc, are no less American than Christians. There is no "they" vs "default" distinction to be made. For one to exist, marginalizes those who fall under the "other religions" category and undermines the principle of separation of church and state.

Rather, I feel that many Christians take these things the wrong way. It is not that I want to impose atheism on everybody. It is that I do not want Christianity to be imposed on everybody.

• Fire 1

The US, however, is not a Christian state. Muslims, atheists, Hindus, etc, are not outsiders who are tolerated here but can't expect to impose "their" values or have the country bend to "their" whim - because Muslims, atheists, Hindus, etc, are no less American than Christians. There is no "they" vs "default" distinction to be made. For one to exist, marginalizes those who fall under the "other religions" category and undermines the principle of separation of church and state.

Rather, I feel that many Christians take these things the wrong way. It is not that I want to impose atheism on everybody. It is that I do not want Christianity to be imposed on everybody.

Hear, hear.

Thoughts?

I have a sinking suspicion that your feelings would be different if these teachers were proselytizing about Islam. In fact . . . I would guess that you would be outraged about it and reference "creeping shariah."

Don't you understand that allowing teachers to preach to kids who are by law not allowed to leave is forcing your religion on them? Try to think about it with a religion that is not your own. Would you be alright with the government forcing your children to listen to a devout Muslim explaining why his or her religion is the only true religion? Me, I'm not OK with teachers preaching ANYTHING regarding religion to my children. That is family business and the government should have no part in it.

I didn't say preaching, I wouldn't want them preaching the gospel. I am talking aobut being free to even say the word God or if brought up being able to talk about their faith.

There are so many exampples of them so I just posted a few. Now how many people would get in trouble for doing something legal on their own personal time? :dunno

http://www.post-gaze...cross0507p2.asp

http://www.christian...less-you-56778/

http://www.godtube.c...tch/?v=FFB921NU

Right, and this is what I mean. Iraq is a Muslim state, that is their culture, it's who they are. You living there as a Christian, you are an outsider, and would not expect the whole country to bend to your whim.

Having a stone tablet of commandments does not impose anything on anybody. Especially when they were there, in one instance, for over one hundred years. Again, if there was a stone tablet of a chinese menu am I forcing you to eat Chinese food? No one is saying we do not accept other religions. There is nothing wrong putting something on a state building from the Tora or the Qoran, I wouldn't have a problem with that. I would rather have more written and more freedom than people taking away these things but that is me. chuckleshuffle

Thoughts?

http://www.thomasmore.org/qry/page.taf?id=19&_function=detail&sbtblct_uid1=948

This article is about a teacher who asks a question and then when he doesn't get the response he wants he punishes the student, that is just ludicrous. I can even see showing the video on bullying because there is no place for that. But how can anyone accept the school distirct doing this spirit day and yet say there is no place for christianity in the school. It is either one way or the other, you let everyone have free speech or no one should be allowed to do something like this. :thumbs

Having a stone tablet of commandments does not impose anything on anybody. Especially when they were there, in one instance, for over one hundred years. Again, if there was a stone tablet of a chinese menu am I forcing you to eat Chinese food? No one is saying we do not accept other religions. There is nothing wrong putting something on a state building from the Tora or the Qoran, I wouldn't have a problem with that. I would rather have more written and more freedom than people taking away these things but that is me. chuckleshuffle

How do you feel about the so-called Ground Zero Mosque on private property?