Callahan's a LOSER

That is not nitpicking that is correcting false information. I just like to see accurate stats posted on this board for the integrity of the board.

I was referring to the comparison of a full season last year to this partial season as nitpicking. I am all about the facts as well, so props for pointing it out. :thumbs

I agree with you to an extent of the reason that Taylor gets sacked more is because he is less mobile. Joe D's happy feet last season may have covered up some inadequacies in the line. However, Dailey would take off and run when he was scared that he would get hit, Taylor takes off when he sees daylight. Dailey was a more talented runner, but lacked toughness.

I am watching the Ohio-Toledo game right now. They were sure to point out that Frank got canned after a 9-win season at Nebraska.

As for Callahan, if he loses tomorrow it's gonna be tough. I don't see them beating CU and may struggle at home with KSU. Teams always get up for the Huskers.

So who would be the best coach for Nebraska is Cally doesn't make the grade?

On a side note I went out and bought the 95' Fiesta Bowl on DVD a couple of days ago. Sat down with my 15 yr old and showed him what Nebraska was all about.

Tomorrow night we watch the 97' Huskers take Tennessee behind the woodshed.

Oh, the good ole' days.

It's like Dick Chatelain read my posts above. :blink:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=2058180

Big Red hunts for wins in November

BY DIRK CHATELAIN

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - Compare the statistics and you'll find progress in passing and sacks, returns and turnovers. Compare the emotions and you'll find disappointments in place of embarrassments.

Compare the records and you'll find five wins, three losses. Again.

Nebraska has traversed two months of gridiron seas, rising and falling and swaying at times in the breeze. This season, Bill Callahan's second in Lincoln, was intended as a necessary step back to dominance, damage control at the least. And players and coaches say they've accomplished so much.

Yet at this point of the journey, as the Huskers begin the final regular-season month, their position in the Big 12 North bears close resemblance to a season ago, the worst fall in the last 43.

"I told the team Sunday that the games people will remember are played in November," Callahan said. "This is November, it's time to play. . . . These three games are big, there's no doubt about it."

Beat Kansas, Kansas State and Colorado, and NU may be lacing 'em up in Houston against Texas in the Big 12 championship game. But a vastly different scenario remains plausible. The Huskers dropped all three November games a year ago. They say this time will be different.

In search of evidence, look no further than Texas Tech, players say.

In 2004, Nebraska fell behind 21-3 and got drilled 70-10 in Lubbock. A month ago, Tech jumped on NU 21-0 before the Huskers rallied to take the lead in the fourth quarter; the Red Raiders scored with 12 seconds left to win 34-31.

"That really truly revealed the heart and soul of this team," right tackle Seppo Evwaraye said. "Everybody fought to the very end. We could easily be having this conversation with us being 8-0 and ranked in the top 10."

Evwaraye understands the season's success comes down to wins and losses, but "we know as a team we took humongous steps this year."

Callahan said he rarely looks at statistical rankings, but he glanced at the Big 12 numbers this week and saw progress from 2004.

The Huskers' passing game has taken steps, thanks in part to Zac Taylor's accurate arm. NU was last in the Big 12 a year ago in pass efficiency. This year, Taylor is fifth during conference play. He hasn't consistently sparkled but hasn't turned the ball over like Joe Dailey did a year ago.

"We've reduced the error in our game, but not to the championship level that you have to," Callahan said. "I just want to be more disciplined across the board."

Nebraska's overall offensive numbers have dipped slightly this season. It's a better passing unit but worse on the ground.

Special teams have been prioritized and bolstered. Defensively, the Blackshirts' pass defense, specifically, has strengthened because of an often-dominant rush. NU was 110th in pass defense in 2004; this year it's 59th.

Numbers aside, the Huskers argue their intangibles are better suited for winning. Players feel a stronger bond with coaches. Confidence has returned, linebacker Bo Ruud said.

"Last year when we were out of a game, it was over," Ruud said. "This year we can turn it on and come back."

Evwaraye said players go into every Saturday this year believing they're going to win.

"I think that was missing last year," he said.

A year ago, NU's offense started fast, but turnovers thwarted Nebraska's chances against Southern Mississippi. Texas Tech's pasting was the second NU loss. Kansas State routed the Huskers two weeks later. NU's 24-3 win over Missouri on Oct. 30 was the season's last.

"Last year things were kind of falling apart," Ruud said.

The Huskers will try to prevent a relapse during the next month. Callahan said his team knows the stakes. His offensive coordinator preached the same message this week.

"We feel like we're a much better team," Jay Norvell said. "But we've got to go out and prove it. November is the most important month of the season when you've got to be playing your best football. We've been working all year to get to this point."

Contact the Omaha World

That is not nitpicking that is correcting false information.  I just like to see accurate stats posted on this board for the integrity of the board. 

I was referring to the comparison of a full season last year to this partial season as nitpicking. I am all about the facts as well, so props for pointing it out. :thumbs

I agree with you to an extent of the reason that Taylor gets sacked more is because he is less mobile. Joe D's happy feet last season may have covered up some inadequacies in the line. However, Dailey would take off and run when he was scared that he would get hit, Taylor takes off when he sees daylight. Dailey was a more talented runner, but lacked toughness.

I won't disagree with ya. I don't want to turn this thread into a qb discussion about who is better. I was just stating a possibility.

I just posted several times that I had begun to support him. Maybe this game was like a cold shower for the Husker Nation waking us up and showing us how bad it really is. The only positive I can think of from the game is that all the players made it safely from Lincoln to Lawrence.