Reforms coming for college football, BCS might not be immune

Nexus

INDIANAPOLIS -- In a city that bills itself as the amateur athletics capital of the world, there was surprisingly little talk about, well, the actual athletics.

Two days after the national championship game, nobody brought up the greatness of Alabama's defense or the ineptitude of LSU's offense. There was a notable lack of discussion about Illinois upsetting Ohio State in basketball or any heated debate about if this really is Northwestern's year in the Indianapolis Convention Center.

No, the talk at the annual NCAA convention, which started Tuesday and runs through Saturday, is of multi-year scholarships, cost of living stipends, student-athletes and rules compliance. After a year that ranks among the organization's worst in its 102 year history, it is a time to focus on the issues at hand.

Yet, in hallways and over lunch, a fight is brewing among member schools and leadership hell-bent on reform.

Continue Reading

The ire over two proposals, stemming from NCAA President Mark Emmert's reform package that came out of meetings in August, has drawn the most attention. The presidents want to give conferences the option of giving out scholarships beyond one year renewals and up to $2,000 to cover the cost of attendance.

This isn't too far away from Ernie Chambers' pay-for-play bill several years ago. To be honest, I think it's a good idea. College kids do need pocket money. You know, to buy pencils and stuff.

(Stuff = beer, condoms, cable TV, Cheetos, beer, ...)

I'm a huge supporter of a small playoff based on conference champions. It's just common sense, and it's settled on the field. I'm sick of hearing that Ok St. wouldve never had a chance against LSU, and I agree to an extent, but here's the glaring point. WE'LL NEVER KNOW. The way a champion is decided is filled with whatifs. Collin Cowterd dissed any thought of a playoff saying that more teams is more problems, that NCAA basketball has 65 teams and # 66 cries all year about not getting in, but fails to mention that #66 gets to go to the NIT, maybe play a home game for revenue and still has something to play for and can honestly admit they'd have zero chance at a National Title. And the NCAA tournament guaratees conference champions a spot. That's what we would have with college football playoff. The bowl game would be like the NIT. Teams can still get awarded for a good season that came up maybe a point or two short. Too bad, but it was played on the field, at least it wasnt 0.023 points short on a computer monitor. An 8 team playoff is 3 games, and there's plenty of time for that.

I'm a huge supporter of a small playoff based on conference champions. It's just common sense, and it's settled on the field. I'm sick of hearing that Ok St. wouldve never had a chance against LSU, and I agree to an extent, but here's the glaring point. WE'LL NEVER KNOW. The way a champion is decided is filled with whatifs. Collin Cowterd dissed any thought of a playoff saying that more teams is more problems, that NCAA basketball has 65 teams and # 66 cries all year about not getting in, but fails to mention that #66 gets to go to the NIT, maybe play a home game for revenue and still has something to play for and can honestly admit they'd have zero chance at a National Title. And the NCAA tournament guaratees conference champions a spot. That's what we would have with college football playoff. The bowl game would be like the NIT. Teams can still get awarded for a good season that came up maybe a point or two short. Too bad, but it was played on the field, at least it wasnt 0.023 points short on a computer monitor. An 8 team playoff is 3 games, and there's plenty of time for that.

While I agree with Cowherd on some things because he occasionally has the originality of creative thought compared to most of his party line brethren....................on this he is completely full of Bevo excrement.

The idea that you can transfer the whining quotient from a # 3 team to a # 65 team and not lose the argument is specious and ludicrous.

The sponsors will not cough up the cash for an NIT like game. I urge you all to think about a +1 after the regular bowls.