Who controls our Drones?

This has never been a factor. As the song goes "From the Halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli", since our founding we have always been at the ready to deploy troops for all sorts of reasons, from police actions, retribution, Commie containment, kinetic military actions, to covert deployments in South America, and a couple of World Wars, our leaders seem to rarely take the "War is Hell" variable into the equation....

Perhaps we need to reinstate the draft, so the sons and daughters of our congresscritters and corporate leaders are also sent off to war.

I do think that the draft made people think about the consequences of their warmongering.

This has never been a factor. As the song goes "From the Halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli", since our founding we have always been at the ready to deploy troops for all sorts of reasons, from police actions, retribution, Commie containment, kinetic military actions, to covert deployments in South America, and a couple of World Wars, our leaders seem to rarely take the "War is Hell" variable into the equation....

Perhaps we need to reinstate the draft, so the sons and daughters of our congresscritters and corporate leaders are also sent off to war.

I do think that the draft made people think about the consequences of their warmongering.

What would be the response be to look at some form of national service like (I believe) Isreal has ..............

Everyone would be asked to serve a year in SOME form of service to the benefit of the country immediately after high school............It might be military, or clerical, or construction, or social or whatever...........

Does anyone think that might level the field somewhat between all classes and provide an opportunity for youth to understand that all these freedoms come about because of some sacrifices..........?

What kind of uproar would that begat..............?

What would be the response be to look at some form of national service like (I believe) Isreal has ..............

Everyone would be asked to serve a year in SOME form of service to the benefit of the country immediately after high school............It might be military, or clerical, or construction, or social or whatever...........

Does anyone think that might level the field somewhat between all classes and provide an opportunity for youth to understand that all these freedoms come about because of some sacrifices..........?

I've never really considered that option. I have family in Sweden that went through a similar program. I think you are correct that there would be an uproar.

Doesn't Israeli law prevent some of its citizens from serving in its military?

I believe that Palestinian citizens are not allowed to serve, but Druze are.

Doesn't Israeli law prevent some of its citizens from serving in its military?

I believe that Palestinian citizens are not allowed to serve, but Druze are.

I honestly don't know...........just thought I remembered reading a long time ago that an effort to include everyone in some sort of national service was the norm.....................

No.

I disagree. While there are plenty of examples of our eagerness as a nation to jump into conflicts expending our treasure and blood there are several more prominent examples where we've avoided or delayed war for that exact reason. We know that war is hell. We are much more likely to avoid conflict if there's a chance that that hell might be unleashed on our own soil though I will agree that when the conflict is likely to be small and contained, or where victory is seen to be relatively painless and quick we dive in head first, even more so if we can get someone else to do our fighting.

Look at the time leading up to the war of 1812. We walked a very careful line between war with the British/French before eventually committing.

Same with both of the World Wars. We were more than happy to support the Allied war efforts without actually fighting until our hand was "forced"...both times some three years after fighting had begun. Then look at our conduct in said wars...especially World War Two; What did we do? In Europe we delayed invasion almost half hoping that aerial bombardment and a Soviet Offensive would break Hitler. Same in the Pacific where we preferred dropping Atomic bombs to a mainland invasion of Japan. So there is some concern in our Government for the well being and safety of our people in as far as total wars are concerned. As in all things it doesn't really work to make a blanket statement about policy and leave it at that.

As far as quoting the Marines' Hymn I'd say that your statement would probably better fit our use of that force. The Corps has often been used in the questionable and distant conflicts of which you speak. A fact that I love to flaunt as a Soldier. I find that the Army has much more history than the Corps, after all it was the Army and not the Marine Corps that won the Revolution and Civil War. The Corps, for more than half of our nation's history was little more than a glorified Naval police force. Fast forward to the First World War and they contributed just enough at Beallau Wood to justify their continued existence to Congress. Oh, and it was the Army that landed at Normandy...so yea just saying. No disrespect to Marines but they can hardly claim supremacy in history, bravery in petty conflicts perhaps, but not history.

No.

I disagree. While there are plenty of examples of our eagerness as a nation to jump into conflicts expending our treasure and blood there are several more prominent examples where we've avoided or delayed war for that exact reason. We know that war is hell. We are much more likely to avoid conflict if there's a chance that that hell might be unleashed on our own soil though I will agree that when the conflict is likely to be small and contained, or where victory is seen to be relatively painless and quick we dive in head first, even more so if we can get someone else to do our fighting.

Look at the time leading up to the war of 1812. We walked a very careful line between war with the British/French before eventually committing.

Same with both of the World Wars. We were more than happy to support the Allied war efforts without actually fighting until our hand was "forced"...both times some three years after fighting had begun. Then look at our conduct in said wars...especially World War Two; What did we do? In Europe we delayed invasion almost half hoping that aerial bombardment and a Soviet Offensive would break Hitler. Same in the Pacific where we preferred dropping Atomic bombs to a mainland invasion of Japan. So there is some concern in our Government for the well being and safety of our people in as far as total wars are concerned. As in all things it doesn't really work to make a blanket statement about policy and leave it at that.

As far as quoting the Marines' Hymn I'd say that your statement would probably better fit our use of that force. The Corps has often been used in the questionable and distant conflicts of which you speak. A fact that I love to flaunt as a Soldier. I find that the Army has much more history than the Corps, after all it was the Army and not the Marine Corps that won the Revolution and Civil War. The Corps, for more than half of our nation's history was little more than a glorified Naval police force. Fast forward to the First World War and they contributed just enough at Beallau Wood to justify their continued existence to Congress. Oh, and it was the Army that landed at Normandy...so yea just saying. No disrespect to Marines but they can hardly claim supremacy in history, bravery in petty conflicts perhaps, but not history.

Yeah but they have the best song :D You are right with those examples. The US was more isolationist pre WWII, something that we as a people have lost (for better or worse). As I was writing my post, I completely blanked the world wars... Oh well, how about, since WWII we seem to have little regard for the term "War is Hell".....

The US was more isolationist pre WWII, something that we as a people have lost (for better or worse). As I was writing my post, I completely blanked the world wars... Oh well, how about, since WWII we seem to have little regard for the term "War is Hell".....

Perhaps because the wars we've gotten involved with since then are no longer on our soil, and we make alot of money selling weapons, and the resulting govenments have turned out to be mostly economic puppets.

• 4 months later...