Who controls our Drones?

A generic "war is bad" stance is pretty myopic. Nobody wants war. Sometimes war is necessary.

I absolutely agree with the bold. However, I strongly disagree with the middle statement. I know a lot of people who want wars. In fact . . . that might be a neo-con plank.

As an open question: since the end of WW-II which, which of our wars have been good?

Why would you limit it to wars since WWII? That seems rather arbitrary. I would say that none of our wars since WWII have been "good." They might have seemed necessary at the time.

If you mean that war is always bad in terms of human suffering I will agree. If you are saying that war isn't necessary at times to achieve a worthy goal . . . then I strongly disagree.

A generic "war is bad" stance is pretty myopic. Nobody wants war. Sometimes war is necessary.

I absolutely agree with the bold. However, I strongly disagree with the middle statement. I know a lot of people who want wars. In fact . . . that might be a neo-con plank.

As an open question: since the end of WW-II which, which of our wars have been good?

Why would you limit it to wars since WWII? That seems rather arbitrary. I would say that none of our wars since WWII have been "good." They might have seemed necessary at the time.

If you mean that war is always bad in terms of human suffering I will agree. If you are saying that war isn't necessary at times to achieve a worthy goal . . . then I strongly disagree.

I think because since WWII, most of the wars have been fought by non-traditional forces according to the aforementioned statement, even though Korea we knew who the enemy was. It really wasn't until Vietnam where the average american soldier encountered actual guerrilla warfare on a larger scale. It's almost as if in his eyes, everything prior to WWII was America fighting the good fight, and keeping the wolves away from the door. But since, then, we've not really fought a war for the "common good", but for our own "misguided" reasons. WWII you had the "Greatest Generation" who returned heroes but less than 30 years later, you had the kids returning from Vietnam, who were looked down upon their return.

Because that was the f'ing question I asked.

I did not say that there weren't any necessary wars, but I will say that there were very few.

I agree with HSKR that our police action in Korea was a good thing.

So was our removal of the Taliban in Afghanistan. However that good action was followed up by not such a good occupation.

Because that was the f'ing question I asked.

I did not say that there weren't any necessary wars, but I will say that there were very few.

I agree with HSKR that our police action in Korea was a good thing.

So was our removal of the Taliban in Afghanistan. However that good action was followed up by not such a good occupation.

ok. Well, you have my f'ing answer. coffee5.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I actually think it's semi unfortunate that war isn't that terrible anymore, simply for the reason that we seem to be so eager and easy to convince to goto war now. Maybe if it was that terrible it'd be off the table.

I'm sure it's very slightly better for those in the warzone now as far as terror level goes, but I cant even imagine living somewhere worrying if I'd get blown up by a bomb because of who lived next to me, home invaded by US troops, or insurgents that decided to use the property.

Very true. It's a double-edged sword. I don't wish for catastrophic, fearful warfare, but people are too eager to deal death and judgment in this day and age.

I agree about stupid wars . . . but why would you prefer that we not use armed drones?

I point to the civilian death toll in Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Killing of civilians has become to callous and impersonal.

Drones are not the reason we kill civilians. Poor intelligence is why we kill civilians. Drones fire missiles far more accurate than anything we've had before - more accurate than 95% of the world's armed forces. Those civilians are killed not because of the drone, but because we didn't know they were there, or they were unavoidable collateral damage to a primary target being taken out. Civilians are NEVER the target, and implying that they are is offensive.

Would you rather we went back to the days of carpet-bombing and B-17s? Do you want another Dresden?

Well said. It's extremely unfortunate that civilians do die, but it's a lot better than a fire-bombing killings hundreds of thousands.

I actually think it's semi unfortunate that war isn't that terrible anymore, simply for the reason that we seem to be so eager and easy to convince to goto war now. Maybe if it was that terrible it'd be off the table.

I'm sure it's very slightly better for those in the warzone now as far as terror level goes, but I cant even imagine living somewhere worrying if I'd get blown up by a bomb because of who lived next to me, home invaded by US troops, or insurgents that decided to use the property.

This has never been a factor. As the song goes "From the Halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli", since our founding we have always been at the ready to deploy troops for all sorts of reasons, from police actions, retribution, Commie containment, kinetic military actions, to covert deployments in South America, and a couple of World Wars, our leaders seem to rarely take the "War is Hell" variable into the equation....

This has never been a factor. As the song goes "From the Halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli", since our founding we have always been at the ready to deploy troops for all sorts of reasons, from police actions, retribution, Commie containment, kinetic military actions, to covert deployments in South America, and a couple of World Wars, our leaders seem to rarely take the "War is Hell" variable into the equation....

Perhaps we need to reinstate the draft, so the sons and daughters of our congresscritters and corporate leaders are also sent off to war.