Visitors for this week and weekend

N Zone

We've seen names like Rory Johnson, Raymond Williams, Vernon Smith, and Michael McLaughlin. However, Raymond and Vernon (both 4 * players) probably won't come to visit. They have grade problems and almost definately won't make the trip so we don't waste our 56 allowable visits on people that can't make it to the school come registration time.

The newest visitor has been confirmed and it's a big one. The rumors are true, and Rocky Hinds will be here this weekend. Let's hope the tunnel walk does to him what it did to the kids last week. He is a great one. The weekend is getting near, so strap on your seatbelts.

Let's use this as a thread to talk about the supposed and confirmed visitors for this week.

PS There have been reports that Michael McLaughlin loved his visit. Some people saw him down in the Haymarket. We'll see how it goes. Expect us to try to get another 6-8 commits if we can. That gives us a couple of extra to find places for and allows us to replace anyone that gets drafted by the MLB or just doesn't make the grades.

got this from an earlier thread

Callahan will talk to Rocky Hinds this week in hopes of getting him to visit. They will also go to the home of Roland Martin and Darryl Richard (DE).

And based on my Big Red crystal ball Ive got Vernon Smith, Mike McClaughlin, Jordan Reever(QB), and Andre 2004 Hall (RB) slotted for this wknd. Is that about right NZone?

okay so we can check off R Hinds and MM. Very good news by the way.

but how about R Martin, Daryl Richard, J Reever, and Andre Hall? Are they still coming?

And what about that Tallie fab 5 Ive heard about. Have they already had their official visits? Since this is the last weekend before signing day, Id say whoever we dont get to visit weekend we dont have much of a shot at. Is that about right? This is getting good!

brj

man... i'm going over the list of commits and all i gots to say is that coach callahan and company know how to sell nebraska big-time.

i just hope hinds sees the light and discovers the wholegrain goodness that his huskernation. if he does, coach callahan and company will have all the building blocks for an unstoppable scarlet-n-cream beast in the next few years...

Well looks like we’re hot on the trail of another 4 star bad ass. This time it’s a current Purdue commit. Junior college defensive end Jeremy Coley, from Masabi Range) JUCO in Minnesota. He committed to Purdue in Sept, and hadn’t had contact from any other school until now. His coach Jeff Sims said the thing is that ‘Nebraska is Nebraska in every sense, and they’ve worked their way to him; theyre bringing out the big guns.’ You better believe it!!

This kid’s a beast at 6-5 245, & had 14 sacks this past season on the best JUCO defense in the country. We’re trying to work a visit in from him this weekend.

Stay tuned to this one. This would be BIG TIME.

FYI we're down to 6 schollies left to offer!! Damn thats getting tight. Probably why some of these kids are starting to have a change of heart. NU suddenly looks more appealing when everyone else wants to play here. A little different playing field when we have the leverage isnt it. :)

One of those guys that would jump at the offer is Joe Mortensen (2 star) from Concord (CA) Clayton Valley, Inside linebacker, 6-2 235, 4.55 40, 1st team all State. Was only the second player ever to be selected 3 time 1st Team All League (DJ Williams). He also set a school record with 171 tackles and recorded 13 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, and 2 interceptions. He said "NU is my favorite" and "i would be a Husker if they offered". Well he got a phone call for NU last night, and we're close to extending an offer, but Im thinking they want to wait to see how this wknd unfolds, but they want to keep him on the back burner.

Things are shaping up nicely!

Thanks for all the good info guys. This is exciting.

BTW, Andre Hall is out of the picture. He's going to visit A&M instead of NU. Most likely b/c of the log-jam of talent that is accumulating at IBack U once again :) We'll be okay without him.

So are we still gunning for any other elite backs, or is the table set in the backfield? I believe the top rated FB is considering NU, is that still an option?

'shirt

Just a couple a vitals on Hinds, who I believe if he were to commit would be either the starter or backup next year. The Ganz kid will move to defense.

Height: 6-foot-5

Weight: 225 pounds

40-yard dash: 4.4 seconds

...........yeah that's pretty good

redout

Few more updates:

Michael McLaughlin didnt especially enjoy his visit to Lincoln today. Couldve been related to the weather, as its a bit harder to knock thermal socks off someone. I guess he drove 8 hours in the arctic with his Mom - not sure why the hell we didnt fly them, but there mustve been a reason. Still waiting to find out the scoop, but it doesnt look too good for him.

We are still pursuing Ray Williams, contrary to earlier beliefs. CAll and co. are visiting him and Roland Martin at their homes in the next 2 days. We are competing with Phil Fulmer for Ro Martin as well. This will determine if they come to Mecca this wknd. If not, forget it.

Word is this Coley kid BRJ told us about might be N, if only we can convince him to visit. He seems to have expressed intrigue in Lincoln, but whether the stars align in time or not to get him to Lincoln remains to be seen.

Rocky Hinds also is rumored to be more likely to be a Husker than we think. Apparently his Mom wants him to leave LA for school. Notre Dame is his "favorite", however has not jumped at their offer. It seems to be down to us, ND, and USC. I'd say we have a 33.33% chance if that makes you feel any better. Hey its a game of rock paper scissors... lets just hope Callahan goes with Rock! :)

Jared Billups will be joining the Rock in town this wknd. Hes a teammate of his, and would play DB for us. Seem hes been overshadowed a bit by Rock and other stars and hasn’t gotten a lot of attention from many teams.

This is a good sign, b/c if somehow we can appeal a lot to one of them, then likely they could convince the other to join them. And you always have a better time on trips when you have someone you feel comfortable with to share it with. So this is looking good for us.

We are competing against the likes of Cal, WSU, Utah, UNLV, and Colorado State for his services. And oh yeah, he is the cousin of Chauncey Billups, CU basketball star.

Heres some info on him:

5’11 and 170 with a 4.5 forty, Billups has good physical tools and was a big 2-way player in highschool.

On offense, Billups was a big play receiver, w/ 29 catches for 401 yards and 5 TDs, and added three rushing TDs. Billups was a weapon returning kicks, racking up 728 yards on returns and taking three all the way back for scores. He was also a force on defense, snatching 9 picks and taking five back for defensive touchdowns. He ended up with 93 tackles, 2 sacks, recovered four fumbles and caused four more. Oh yeah, he also blocked three punts.

Dont forget about our boys already in Lincoln. We have a pretty talented class of receivers already on board. but you wouldnt know it b/c they couldnt showcase their talens.

Theres Pilkington, LeFlore, Fluellen.

and the crootz: Gabe Hatchett, Nate Swift, and hopefully Terrance Nunn, and dont be surprised if we move some of the "athletes" like Maurice McClellan to Wide out positions. the guy is 6-3 210 and runs a 4.5, and has good hands.

So I actually think we're okay here.

others have thoughts on this?

brj

These guys are OFF the list:

Raymond Williams 5.8 5-11/185/4.49 Cleveland ,OH list

Andre Hall - 5-10/205/4.4 Garden City ,KS list

Roland Martin 6.0 6-6/340/5.05 Chicago ,IL list

Vernon Smith 5.8 6-1/219/4.6 Fort Lauderdale ,FL list

Darryl Richard 5.6 6-4/285/4.9 Destrehan ,LA list