So I've been thinking of ways to save money around the house. Unfortunately for me I can only do that it two places, cell phone plan or television plan. Cell phone plan is out as I just recently signed a new contract so I'm locked in there. So I've been thinking of going the route of Apple TV or something comparable and purchase shows as I go thus lowering my monthly cost of television. My wife and I really only watch a handfull or two of shows. We religiously tape these shows and basically just watch those channels. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Apple TV, internet TV, whatever you want to call it and I'm talking totally legal...........I don't want anything illegal.

Devices you're looking at Apple TV, Roku, Boxee Box, a standalone Google TV player, or any other device (e.g. Xbox or Blu-Ray player) that can stream Netflix. Apple TV & Roku are going to be the easiest to operate, Boxee does a lot of cool things, and Google TV is a quasi-Android product if you're familiar with the Android OS. A Blu-Ray player with Netflix capability is going to be quite limited in functionality. As far as I know, Boxee and Google TV have apps for ESPN3 too, which is provided through Time Warner Internet access if you have that.

For service you'll want to use a combination of over-the-air (OTA) plus Netflix and / or Amazon Prime streaming, plus there are some specific services like HBO Go and Epix if you need more. Find what OTA signals you can get in your area, browse through the Netflix library, and decide if you can live with that basically. Also, it's a little known secret that OTA signals are actually higher quality uncompressed signals than what you get through cable or satellite. I always watch the football and v-ball games OTA when possible.

Personally I would get a Boxee Box, Netflix, and a good OTA antenna.

Depending on what channels you watch it may be a very easy thing. Many, but not all of the networks run thier shows on thier websites on a delay, anywhere between 1 hour and a week. Depending on the network, they can be bought off the Playstation Network, (Xbox live too I think, but I cant vouch for that) most TV episodes are like $3 to own. For watching netflix, a Blu-Ray with internet(or a PS3 I mentioned earlier), or a computer hooked into your entertainment system would work too. ESPN3 all depends on your internet, if you have something like Cox, then you at least have to have channels 1-25 to get internet, DSL requires a landline.

Okay, I'll do some more research first. I have CenturyLink as my service provider. Basically my biggest worry is the sports thing, I still want to be able to see the Huskers play. I love our new TV contract in the B1G and don't want to downgrade and lose that right now. Basically if I could get Discovery Channel, Travel Channel, History Channel, SciFi Channel, ESPN, and maybe Spike TV, I'd be good. My wife just basically watches stuff on the regular channels that I could get through the antenna. Not really concerned about the whole movie aspect, we usually rent our movies or go to the movie theatre anyways. I do have a PS3 so I could run Netflix off of there if I couldn't on whichever device I decided to purchase.

I just reduced my Verizon FIOS channel subscription. Took off all the premium stuff that we never watch. We watch food, travel, discovery and some Project Runway thing my wife just adores DAMW. :)

still get BTN and other HD channels and could have cut back even more without the HD stuff but :D like it.

GBR

Well it sounds like I'm screwed if I can't get the BTN.................sucks because I thought it would be a good option there for awhile. Obviously I can't do the illegal route because my Chief wouldn't be happy if he found out one of his officers was doing something illegal. Not worth the salary loss.....................