If Nebraska wore Nike Pro Combat gear

knapplc

If you guys think that Oregon doesn't benefit from their uniforms then it's time to get a clue. Time to stay up with the times, kids like flashy stuff. I'm not saying that we go to these uniforms full time, however, would it really hurt to do these once or twice a year??

Sure they benefit-whatever sports organization (Nike/Addidas et al) own them! They HAVE to wear their uniforms in order to get the bucks these big companies dole out. Do you really believe that all of those kids really like those uniforms? They are butt-ugly in my opinion, especially those yellow uniforms. Their colors are ugly to begin with-the all green isn't so bad but eww the rest are awful.

I wouldn't be against an all black uniform but didn't really see any of the ones posted that I liked. Also, not all kids like that flashy stuff. Look at the way they dress all the rest of the time: basic uniform: shirt/blue jeans sweatshirt/sweatpants. If you took a poll of college football players and asked them how important their uniforms were I'll bet you a good 95% of them would say that it isn't that important.

The bolded statements are just ridiculous.

Interesting. How so? I thought this article was interesting. It spoke of the effectiveness of a uniform change.

It was very interesting because they talked about our Huskers:

[/left]

By now you may be wondering: Why does any of this matter? Paul Lukas says a uniform may tell you a lot about the team's heritage, but he doesn't think it has much to do with its success.

[/left]

"You take a school like Nebraska, they have a really plain helmet with the N on it, you know? And they sell out every game. So obviously the uniforms aren't what's driving attendance there. It's their history, it's their heritage, it's their success. Nothing looks better on the field at the end of the game than having more points than your opponent."

[/left]

[/left]

We are talking about recruits......not fans...Nebraska would sell out if we wore brown uniforms

Watch some of the ducks videos on youtube like

The younger generation loves variety and if you think those students or athletes don't like being able to have black, green, yellow uniforms then you're crazy

Of course THEY do! They've bought into the marketing. Nike has done a beautiful marketing job and now everyone is 'getting on the change-your-uniform-at-every-game bus'. Eventually Nebraska will buy into it to so don't worry, those who want this kind of change will get it. It will be a sad day for me because the uniforms they wear now are part of who they are. It is part of their identity. Did Oregon ever have an identify before now? No, they didn't. But we do.

As to the Oregon players: I didn't say that they didn't like being able to pick a variety of colors. I said that I'll bet they don't all like them and I'm sticking by that opinion-it's just that-an opinion. You don't share it. Fine. But don't come all undone because I don't share you're opinion. Especially that uniform that looks like pee Ewww that is one ugly uniform. I read one article that said, 'College football players are looking more like cartoon super heros than football players.' How sad. As for the recruits: Do you really believe that a recruit would go to a school just because they have a 'variety of uniforms'? In my opinion, pretty shallow reason to play for a football team Or do you think they go to a school because that school wins games? I don't know about you but I agree with the article above:

"Nothing looks better on the field at the end of the game than having more points than your opponent."

*I put my replies in italics :)

This guy beat me to it ladyhawke. That's what I meant by your bold statements are ridiculous.

We have a difference of opinion on the definition of the term 'ridiculous' I think. Those statements are my opinions-nothing more. One of the things I like about posting on this board is that one can share their opinion without reprisal, eh? I hope that continues.

Just because you (a fan) or I (a fan) don't like the uniform bandwagon everyone is jumping on these days, doesn't mean we should not even consider listening to what the players think and get their input on this situation.

I didn't say that. Here's what I said: "Do you really believe that all of those kids really like those uniforms? They are butt-ugly in my opinion, especially those yellow uniforms. Their colors are ugly to begin with-the all green isn't so bad but eww the rest are awful. I never said that we shouldn't consider listening what players think and get their input on this situation.

Just because we are traditional and have won multiple championships, doesn't automatically mean that the players that come here feel the same way. It's just a different mindset being a fan and being a player.

Read what I wrote to the other poster. Do you believe that when a recruit is deciding where to play ball, that the uniform is important? I'm of the opinion that it isn't. From what I've heard recruits say when asked why they chose a particular school, 'I loved the variety of uniforms the school has.' wasn't what they shared.

I for one don't want us to go Oregon or OkieLite level with the uniforms, but a few strategic changes to what the players wear every saturday could help sway recruits in our direction.

And I said: I wouldn't be against an all black uniform but didn't really see any of the ones posted that I liked.

You are kind of crazy, or at least out of touch with today's youth if you think they don't care about what they are wearing.

Again, where did I say that? However, one thing I did say was that most kids wear a basic uniform some kind of top and jeans. You corrected that to sweatshirts/sweatpants but when I looked on pictures of students on the UNL campus they had jeans and t-shirts or sweatshirts on. But that's as close to the subject of today's kids caring about what they are wearing that I even came close to.

I see it all the time on campus. The players always have their Dre Beats on along with their snapbacks. I hate to say it because I hate the overusage of the word, but the youth these days are constantly chasing that dreaded 's' word....

...swag.

Of course they do. I never said they didn't. The issue from the beginning was NU changing their uniforms-right? Read what I wrote to the other poster. Nebraska will eventually join the 'let's-change-our-uniform-every-other-game' bandwagon so don't worry-those who want that type of thing will get their wish. It will be a sad day for me. I have a hunch that you're young....in you're 20's? I have a daughter your age. She would side with you right away because 1) She's an art major and loves everything about change and 2) She doesn't know what it's like to have lived through the 'glory days' of NU like her Dad and I did. Tradition is so important to us. I think that to a certain extent it's important to you too as you've shared that you don't want to go to the extremes that Oregon or OkieLite did but that a subtle change would be a good thing, right?

However, at the end of the day I think there is something that we can all agree upon and I shared it in the post above:

""Nothing looks better on the field at the end of the game than having more points than your opponent."

Who is coming undone?? Being 23 I'm part of that younger generation of kids that are growing up in husker nation. I vaguely remember the 97' championship and I'm a husker fan. Kids that grow up out of Nebraska aren't going to care we used to win championships BACK IN THE DAY. It's about "what have you done lately", and I don't like that anymore than you do. As much as I love Nebraska, it isn't where it was 15-20 years ago. In college football you have to adapt or it leaves you behind.

• Fire 3

This guy beat me to it ladyhawke. That's what I meant by your bold statements are ridiculous.

We have a difference of opinion on the definition of the term 'ridiculous' I think. Those statements are my opinions-nothing more. One of the things I like about posting on this board is that one can share their opinion without reprisal, eh? I hope that continues.

Just because you (a fan) or I (a fan) don't like the uniform bandwagon everyone is jumping on these days, doesn't mean we should not even consider listening to what the players think and get their input on this situation.

I didn't say that. Here's what I said: "Do you really believe that all of those kids really like those uniforms? They are butt-ugly in my opinion, especially those yellow uniforms. Their colors are ugly to begin with-the all green isn't so bad but eww the rest are awful. I never said that we shouldn't consider listening what players think and get their input on this situation.

Just because we are traditional and have won multiple championships, doesn't automatically mean that the players that come here feel the same way. It's just a different mindset being a fan and being a player.

Read what I wrote to the other poster. Do you believe that when a recruit is deciding where to play ball, that the uniform is important? I'm of the opinion that it isn't. From what I've heard recruits say when asked why they chose a particular school, 'I loved the variety of uniforms the school has.' wasn't what they shared.

I for one don't want us to go Oregon or OkieLite level with the uniforms, but a few strategic changes to what the players wear every saturday could help sway recruits in our direction.

And I said: I wouldn't be against an all black uniform but didn't really see any of the ones posted that I liked.

You are kind of crazy, or at least out of touch with today's youth if you think they don't care about what they are wearing.

Again, where did I say that? However, one thing I did say was that most kids wear a basic uniform some kind of top and jeans. You corrected that to sweatshirts/sweatpants but when I looked on pictures of students on the UNL campus they had jeans and t-shirts or sweatshirts on. But that's as close to the subject of today's kids caring about what they are wearing that I even came close to.

I see it all the time on campus. The players always have their Dre Beats on along with their snapbacks. I hate to say it because I hate the overusage of the word, but the youth these days are constantly chasing that dreaded 's' word....

...swag.

Of course they do. I never said they didn't. The issue from the beginning was NU changing their uniforms-right? Read what I wrote to the other poster. Nebraska will eventually join the 'let's-change-our-uniform-every-other-game' bandwagon so don't worry-those who want that type of thing will get their wish. It will be a sad day for me. I have a hunch that you're young....in you're 20's? I have a daughter your age. She would side with you right away because 1) She's an art major and loves everything about change and 2) She doesn't know what it's like to have lived through the 'glory days' of NU like her Dad and I did. Tradition is so important to us. I think that to a certain extent it's important to you too as you've shared that you don't want to go to the extremes that Oregon or OkieLite did but that a subtle change would be a good thing, right?

However, at the end of the day I think there is something that we can all agree upon and I shared it in the post above:

""Nothing looks better on the field at the end of the game than having more points than your opponent."

So did we lose tradition when we went to these

1428086_display_image.jpg?1298867968

Who is coming undone?? Being 23 I'm part of that younger generation of kids that are growing up in husker nation. I vaguely remember the 97' championship and I'm a husker fan. Kids that grow up out of Nebraska aren't going to care we used to win championships BACK IN THE DAY. It's about "what have you done lately", and I don't like that anymore than you do. As much as I love Nebraska, it isn't where it was 15-20 years ago. In college football you have to adapt or it leaves you behind.

I apologize for that comment. I've had my feathers (no pun intended) ruffled a little today-unfortunately, I didn't take my time in replying to you. I do apologize and ask that you forgive me that comment. :) I understand completely where you're coming from. I have a daughter about your age so I know all about change and being current. (I have to make sure I know the names of all the books and movies my K-6th graders are reading so that I know what they're talking about! lol)

I guess, and I shared this before, I'm just not convinced that changing our uniform is that big of a deal. Will it happen-yep, you're right about that. Do I want it to happen-Nope. Will it make that much difference in the way our boys play? The color? Hmmmm I don't know. The fabric might make a change because there won't be anything to grab if they use the blend they're using now. We'll see. I've enjoyed our discussion. Again, I apologize for making that 'coming undone' comment. I'm the one that has come 'undone' not you! ;)

...swag.

I bow down to your 'subtle change is good' sir or madam, whatever the case may be :) What year were those uniforms used?

I apologize for that comment. I've had my feathers (no pun intended) ruffled a little today-unfortunately, I didn't take my time in replying to you. I do apologize and ask that you forgive me that comment. :) I understand completely where you're coming from. I have a daughter about your age so I know all about change and being current. (I have to make sure I know the names of all the books and movies my K-6th graders are reading so that I know what they're talking about! lol)

I guess, and I shared this before, I'm just not convinced that changing our uniform is that big of a deal. Will it happen-yep, you're right about that. Do I want it to happen-Nope. Will it make that much difference in the way our boys play? The color? Hmmmm I don't know. The fabric might make a change because there won't be anything to grab if they use the blend they're using now. We'll see. I've enjoyed our discussion. Again, I apologize for making that 'coming undone' comment. I'm the one that has come 'undone' not you! ;)

Well I can forgive you.......I mean we are all husker fans here :power

Well except you bucky.............

...swag.

I bow down to your 'subtle change is good' sir :) What year were those uniforms used?

Eh those are some years I try to erase from my memory........I cringe when I think of Jammal Lord dropping back to throw

Well I can forgive you.......I mean we are all husker fans here :power

Well except you bucky.............

Thanks! ;)

...swag.

I bow down to your 'subtle change is good' sir :) What year were those uniforms used?

Eh those are some years I try to erase from my memory........I cringe when I think of Jammal Lord dropping back to throw

ROFLOL! Ah yes! Frank's final years!

just adding my two cents as im kinda new here....

But i have always had more respect for the more traditional uniforms in college football, ie. notre dame, pennstate, the Huskers... i really dont want anything but the old red'n'white. heck, id prefer it if we could puh-lease take the names off the jerseys!

The only thing I really liked in the pics provided was the font for the numbers on the jerseys. As for black in our color scheme, 1) That is only for practice jerseys, and thats the tradition, and 2) whats with wanting to be like Georgia?

Also, I liked it better when teams only used two colors, college, pro, or otherwise.

Finally, I will admit that first time i saw the photo of that black helmet(with the traditional 'N') earlier this year, I was intrigued, but I still take a silly sort of pride in the simplicity of our look. So, at most, for me at least, maybe every now and then, but thats the depth of my comprimise.

My post wasn't really addressing your individual points you made, more of a vent on the subject. I think it's a fascinating topic and a great discussion piece for the offseason.

We both agree that a black alternate would be cool. I'm just more optimistic in terms of the future of our uniforms than you, I guess. I wouldn't mind some tweaks here and there, as long as the foundation of the uniforms stays the same. I love tradition as much as the next guy/girl, even though I'm a just a youngster (20). ;)

I'm just going to add that if push comes to shove and we decide to wear a "pro combat" or whatever adidas' version would be called for 1 game a year or every other year, I would say "fine." But that uniform better be something stylish and classy, sort of within the confines of traditional. The unis in the OP are garbage, high-school photoshop class nonsense. They are all awful.

For example, here is Alabama's Pro Combat from a couple years ago:

alabama.jpg

This is fine.

A corn helmet is just stupid and juvenile.