Obama's assault on religion is beginning

Husker freak is right. It has to do with abortions too. At mass last week, the priest read a letter sent by the archbishop of Omaha concerning the new bill, and abortions was one of the topics discussed.

And why would the Catholic Church change their stance on contraceptives when they believe sex should be used for procreation purposes only? Isn't the purpose of contraceptives to stop procreation...

Why doesn't the Catholic Church read more letters from its bishops about health care, minimum wage and war?

It seems as if they only read the letters that are in line with right wing talking points.

Well, I could really care less about politics. I have no idea what stances right wing/left wing people even have. So I can't answer your question.

What I can say is, they rarely read letters sent by bishops. I can't remember a mass where the priest has read a letter in regards to politics before last weekend. My guess would be right wing is pro-life and the Catholic Church is pro-life, therefore they read letters of the right wing...?

Husker freak is right. It has to do with abortions too. At mass last week, the priest read a letter sent by the archbishop of Omaha concerning the new bill, and abortions was one of the topics discussed.

And why would the Catholic Church change their stance on contraceptives when they believe sex should be used for procreation purposes only? Isn't the purpose of contraceptives to stop procreation...

But the regulation has nothing to do with abortion. I don't really care what the Catholic Church believes it means. I care about what it actually says. One is based in reality. One is not.

It has to do with giving abortion inducing drugs...if I remember correctly.

But the regulation has nothing to do with abortion. I don't really care what the Catholic Church believes it means. I care about what it actually says. One is based in reality. One is not.

Ah! So they have no problem with the condoms or the birth control pills . . . so long as the birth control pills aren't taken until after sex?

That is not correct.

Ah! So they have no problem with the condoms or the birth control pills . . . so long as the birth control pills aren't taken until after sex?

That is not correct.

The bill itself deals with contraceptives, sterilization and abortion inducing drugs, not just contraceptives like this thread has been talking about. I guess I don't understand what your trying to argue. That contraceptives is the main issue here?

That is not correct.

The bill itself deals with contraceptives, sterilization and abortion inducing drugs, not just contraceptives like this thread has been talking about. I guess I don't understand what your trying to argue. That contraceptives is the main issue here?

"Abortion inducing drugs?" Two cells joined . . . that may or may not implant . . . are now a person? I thought the "life begins at erection" jokes were taking it a bit far . . . but apparently they are quite apt.

It isn't bringing something to the table to recognize that the catholic church preaches sex for procreation while encouraging and protecting pedophiles? I think that's pretty valid. And I don't hate catholics. I'm just not a fan of any organized religion.

Encouraging pedophilia? Please explain

"Abortion inducing drugs?" Two cells joined . . . that may or may not implant . . . are now a person? I thought the "life begins at erection" jokes were taking it a bit far . . . but apparently they are quite apt.

Making me bust out my pharmacology book. I didn't want to even look at this book until mid week, thanks a lot! :P

Prostaglandins, such as dinoprostone and prostaglandin e2 are vaginal suppositories used for therapeutic abortions in the second trimester. So, much later than the "may or may not implant" stage you just said. I assume these are the abortion inducing drugs being talked about in the bill.

you don't get out much, do ya?

I go to church every week, I was an alter boy for 4 years, I went to a catholic school for 9 years. Never once have I ever heard a priest or any catholic for that matter "encourage" pedophilia.

Yeah, I know about the scandals and the FEW priests who partook, but they have all been condemned by the majority of priests. And I haven't found one catholic who have "encouraged" other priests to sexually abuse children. There are GREAT priests out there, but you just decide to look at the bad ones and its a shame that people like you group the good in with the bad.

you don't get out much, do ya?

I go to church every week, I was an alter boy for 4 years, I went to a catholic school for 9 years. Never once have I ever heard a priest or any catholic for that matter "encourage" pedophilia.

Yeah, I know about the scandals and the FEW priests who partook, but they have all been condemned by the majority of priests. And I haven't found one catholic who have "encouraged" other priests to sexually abuse children. There are GREAT priests out there, but you just decide to look at the bad ones and its a shame that people like you group the good in with the bad.

There was a culture of ignoring, and covering up the abuse of these priests though. It makes the Sandusky mess look very, very innocent. Instead of turning the priests over to law enforcement, they would transfer the priest to another parish. That goes way beyond a few bad priests. Protecting the image of the church took precidence, like it always has throught it's history.