Obama's assault on religion is beginning

You are wrong that this was a wedge issue picked by the GOP to try to win the presidency. It was BO who made it an issue probably for the very same reason you thought the GOP did it, he wanted a wedge issue to help get him reelected. :wasted

If it's true that Pres. Obama did this to help him win re-election then the GOP blundered right into the trap. I though Obama was a bumbling idiot? Apparently he is a political mastermind.

I just like that they are fighting over this issue when the GOP legislature in Iowa mandated contraception coverage for ALL employers INCLUDING the church itself. Of course . . . it's fine when the GOP does this. When Obama does the same it's fascism.

No one ever claimed BO to be an idiot just an ideolog!!

You are wrong again, whether the GOP or BO does it, it is wrong, so "theGOP legislature in Iowa mandated contraception coverage for ALL employers INCLUDING the church itself" is wrong. It doesn't matter who does it if you have a conviction then you must abide by it or you are a hypocrite, and that is what those GOPs are to me!! eyeswear2allthatsholy

Actually, MANY people claim that Pres. Obama is an idiot. Why do you think that teleprompter jokes are so widespread? Particularly when every president has used them since they were invented.

I wasn't talking about you in particular. I was talking about the GOP. Perhaps Romney IS the perfect candidate for them since they too appear to be on both sides of most issues.

I think many people view BO has an intelligent man but lacks common sense. I also think some view him as a great speaker and not a great debater. Oh, I think he can become a masterdebater but that will take time and practice!! :laughpound

Under existing law, a constitutional challenge to the contraception provision wouldn’t even rise to the level of being frivolous. In the 1990 case Oregon v. Smith, in an opinion written by that infamous radical leftist Antonin Scalia, the Supreme Court held that neutral, generally applicable laws are constitutional even if they incidentally burden religious practice. Only if a law intentionally targets a religious practice does it run afoul of the Free Exercise clause. “We have never held,” wrote Scalia, “that an individual’s religious beliefs excuse him from compliance with an otherwise valid law prohibiting conduct that the State is free to regulate.” The requirement that insurance plans cover contraception is a valid secular objective that is not directed at any religious practice per se, and hence is plainly constitutional. If the mandate applied to religious institutions this might be a constitutional problem, but religious institutions themselves are excluded; only religiously-affiliated institutions that serve secular purposes and hire people of multiple faiths are affected.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/post/the-constitutionality-of-contraceptives/2012/02/21/gIQAEF6IRR_blog.html#excerpt

New Hampshire GOP controlled legislature passed a contraception mandate back in 2000. http://www.unionleader.com/article/20120212/NEWS06/702129983

There was no controversy. No outcry. The Catholic Church admits that they didn't even really notice.

Fast forward to 2012: Obama issues a LESS RESTRICTIVE contraception coverage mandate and New Hampshire Republicans lose their minds. DOOOM!

There wouldn't be an outcry about this if everyone just followed God's law about sex. Wait till you are married. Then we don't have to worry about abortion and contraceptives.

Either way, what does it matter? Nothing any of us can do about it. God will be the judge at the end of the day.

Maybe for you. Me, I'll just be gone.

There wouldn't be an outcry about this if everyone just followed God's law about sex. Wait till you are married. Then we don't have to worry about abortion and contraceptives.

Either way, what does it matter? Nothing any of us can do about it. God will be the judge at the end of the day.

First off, way to be ignorant on contraception. There are millions and millions of married women who use them, sometimes for birth control and family planning. Othertimes for issues involving the the female reproductive system.

Two, 100% bogus arguement for anyone who does not follow your religion.

Three, at what point in human history did everyone (or even most people) waited for sex til after marrige? People are just more honest and willing to talk about it, and not hide it like they were in past.

Four, don't fool yourself, the main reason the Bible preaches no sex til marrige is about property rights in a patriarchal society. The rich and powerful men wanted to make sure only thier offspring would inherit. Its not what they will tell you in church, but its the truth.

First off, way to be ignorant on contraception. There are millions and millions of married women who use them, sometimes for birth control and family planning. Othertimes for issues involving the the female reproductive system.

Three, at what point in human history did everyone (or even most people) waited for sex til after marrige? People are just more honest and willing to talk about it, and not hide it like they were in past.

Four, don't fool yourself, the main reason the Bible preaches no sex til marrige is about property rights in a patriarchal society. The rich and powerful men wanted to make sure only thier offspring would inherit. Its not what they will tell you in church, but its the truth.

I wish someone could show me the bible verse that shows that sex before a marriage ceremony is sinful. From what I remember from bible study, such a verse does not exist.

Crazy stuff, that actually reading the bible.

What about the people who were having sex hundreds of thousands of years before marriage and Christianity were invented? Did they just go to hell by default, or is there like some sort of grandfather clause?

First of all, this whole arguement is based on the amendment Freedom of religion and dirrected right at one religion in particular. So no it is NOT 100% bogus for this arguement. It is pretty simple really if you don't like the beliefs of your employer leave.

The reason that that the Catholic religion believes you should not have premarital sex is because sex is suppose to be for creating life. I do no that married people use contraceptives to be financially responsible and other medical reasons, but this is why they say premarital sex is sinful.

First of all, this whole arguement is based on the amendment Freedom of religion and dirrected right at one religion in particular. So no it is NOT 100% bogus for this arguement. It is pretty simple really if you don't like the beliefs of your employer leave.

The reason that that the Catholic religion believes you should not have premarital sex is because sex is suppose to be for creating life. I do no that married people use contraceptives to be financially responsible and other medical reasons, but this is why they say premarital sex is sinful.

I know that's the party line, but I believe the real-world reason has far more to do with strigori's (correct) comment about property rights in a patriarchal society.

I know that's the party line, but I believe the real-world reason has far more to do with strigori's (correct) comment about property rights in a patriarchal society.

Real World Reason or Real-World Catholic Reason? There seems to be a HUGE differance betweent the two.

Real World Reason or Real-World Catholic Reason? There seems to be a HUGE differance betweent the two.

Historical fact is what I would be basing it on. Look at the inheritance rules in the timeframe the bible and church were getting started. And religion has been a tool for controling the masses for eons. First thing anyone with authority, money and power concerns themselves with is making sure to hold on to them. The First born male would be the child to inherit money, land or title. Women have spent the majority of western history being little more than property, and just there to bear hiers.