Another reason Nebraska needs Div I Hockey

HSKR

If you truly want college athletics fair you throw Title IX in the trash and have one team for each sport. One football team, basketball, hockey, soccer, track, volleyball, etc and let anyone male or female try out for the team and whoever is the best makes it. You can't make things more equal then that. If you don't like the sound of that then admit that women's sports while they can be entertaining are nothing more the charity sports to the less talented paid for by the guys.

Oh I am going to get in trouble for this one. :P

This is like saying let's put everyone in a room, male and female, and the first ones to have babies get to live. Fair is fair, right?

How absurd can you get? Let everyone compete on one team per sport? Be serious.

Think of it this way. There's X number of dollars for sports. Why do men have more right to get those dollars than women? Because of viewership on TV? Because of butts in seats? If that's your criteria, you're going to have to reconcile the fact that, for more than half a century, women weren't allowed to play sports at many major universities, or if they were, they were relegated to club teams while the men got scholarships and official status. That's based more on our misogynistic past than any flaw in womens' athletics.

You cannot penalize women today for the mistakes of men in the past. Male-dominated school administrations, male-dominated societies set up the systems that we're using today. Without forced integration of women in major sports they would still be relegated to Home Ec and the like.

It's time to abandon these old-fashioned ideas. Let them play.

So answer me why women's sports on a professional level are next to nothing when you compare it to men's? It has absolutely nothing to do with man keeping women down or any other of your made up reasons. It's performance, period. If the women's sport has any success, it's either because it is on life support from the man's sport (WNBA) or it's because sex sells (lingerie football, beach volleyball, tennis) When it comes to sports, people like to watch the best of the best and in case you didn't know men are athletically superior to women. It's not much different in college then it is in the pro's either. When the men's bball team sucks and draws 8K people think that is bad but when the lady's are good and draw 8K people think that is outstanding. Why is that? Because people think it is great to see a team that is athletically inferior draw so well, not because TO thinks the ladies should be taking Home Ec and is trying to keep them down. There is one sport that I do agree is better on the women's side then the men's and that is volleyball. Why do I think that? Because men's athletic ability is actually too much for the sport. You don't ever see the rallies on the men's side like you do on the women's. It's pretty much serve, then bump, set, 500 mph spike straight down or get blocked. They are so good they have made it completely boring.

Now I am not advocating we eliminate the sports by any means but let's be real and try not to put them at equal levels because they aren't and never ever ever will be unless evolution has something to do with it. You really think having bowling and rifle teams helps make women equal? If it's about scholarships then let sports that pay for themselves offer full rides and the sports that don't pay for themselves, give them scholarships but turn the sport into a club sport and save some money.

Oh and when it comes to other sports that the men play such as tennis or golf that cost the athletic dept way more then they are worth, I'd have no problem turning them into club sports as well. If we think we need sports like that to provide scholarships to kids to go to college, all I can say is get a damned summer job and part time job during the school year and pay for stuff yourself like I did. Sorry for living in real world. :)

So answer me why women's sports on a professional level are next to nothing when you compare it to men's? It has absolutely nothing to do with man keeping women down or any other of your made up reasons. It's performance, period. If the women's sport has any success, it's either because it is on life support from the man's sport (WNBA) or it's because sex sells (lingerie football, beach volleyball, tennis) When it comes to sports, people like to watch the best of the best and in case you didn't know men are athletically superior to women. It's not much different in college then it is in the pro's either. When the men's bball team sucks and draws 8K people think that is bad but when the lady's are good and draw 8K people think that is outstanding. Why is that? Because people think it is great to see a team that is athletically inferior draw so well, not because TO thinks the ladies should be taking Home Ec and is trying to keep them down. There is one sport that I do agree is better on the women's side then the men's and that is volleyball. Why do I think that? Because men's athletic ability is actually too much for the sport. You don't ever see the rallies on the men's side like you do on the women's. It's pretty much serve, then bump, set, 500 mph spike straight down or get blocked. They are so good they have made it completely boring.

Now I am not advocating we eliminate the sports by any means but let's be real and try not to put them at equal levels because they aren't and never ever ever will be unless evolution has something to do with it. You really think having bowling and rifle teams helps make women equal? If it's about scholarships then let sports that pay for themselves offer full rides and the sports that don't pay for themselves, give them scholarships but turn the sport into a club sport and save some money.

Oh and when it comes to other sports that the men play such as tennis or golf that cost the athletic dept way more then they are worth, I'd have no problem turning them into club sports as well. If we think we need sports like that to provide scholarships to kids to go to college, all I can say is get a damned summer job and part time job during the school year and pay for stuff yourself like I did. Sorry for living in real world. :)

The real world? You mean the world that kept women from competing in sports for most of the last, say 10,000 years? That real world?

Get some context in your argument and try again. You have completely misunderstood the playing field.

The real world? You mean the world that kept women from competing in sports for most of the last, say 10,000 years? That real world?

Get some context in your argument and try again. You have completely misunderstood the playing field.

Translation, you've got nothing. Thought you would do better then that. BTW, do you watch and spend the same amount of time and money going to women's sporting events compared to men's? I sure hope you are walking the walk and living up to your preachings. In case you were interested in my answer, it would be a resounding no. The next time I watch a consecutive 10 minutes of the WNBA, will be the first.

You can choose to ignore the fact that women have been reduced to mere chattel in our society for hundreds of years. If that's "nothing" to you then it completely explains your position. Have fun with your misogyny.

To answer your question, between volleyball and women's basketball, I probably spend about as much as I spend going to football and the occasional baseball game.

This thread just reminded me of what someone told my family and I a few weeks ago.

I'm not the one to start rumors but almost 3 weeks ago, the Johnson guys and I went to the Nebraska/Minnesota Baseball game and before the game we tailgate like we do every time we go to a game. While tailgating we invited a Husker father and his son over for some deer meat, peanuts, beer, etc. We got to talking about Erstad, the Baseball team, and the new facilities.

This guy told us that his buddy works with the Construction company that is working on the new facilities and this guy has seen the blueprints and that in the Southwest corner of Haymarket Park there's going to be an ice rink. There's like a long white building there but I guess they're going to tear that down and add an ice rink I believe that's where he said it was going to be. All I know is it will be in between the Haymarket and the Basketball facility or around these two facilities. He told us that he believes this will be used for Nebraska Hockey in the near feature. Right away I shot this guy down and told him that Omaha has a Hockey team and that Osborne wasn't going to add a Hockey team because of Omaha. He also told us that they will be building Hotels and some other crap right by this rink and the new Basketball arena but it was hard for me to pay attention to all of his other details because I was still focused on what he had told us about the ice rink.

This guy just kept pointing his finger and saying they're building that there and this there. I can't remember his reasonings on why Nebraska would add a Hockey rink because that was 3 weeks ago and a lot has happened since then like the birth of my son so I apologize for not remembering.

Anyways I would love to see a Nebraska hockey team but its hard for me to believe this guy. Take it for what its worth.

This thread just reminded me of what someone told my family and I a few weeks ago.

I'm not the one to start rumors but almost 3 weeks ago, the Johnson guys and I went to the Nebraska/Minnesota Baseball game and before the game we tailgate like we do every time we go to a game. While tailgating we invited a Husker father and his son over for some deer meat, peanuts, beer, etc. We got to talking about Erstad, the Baseball team, and the new facilities.

This guy told us that his buddy works with the Construction company that is working on the new facilities and this guy has seen the blueprints and that in the Southwest corner of Haymarket Park there's going to be an ice rink. There's like a long white building there but I guess they're going to tear that down and add an ice rink I believe that's where he said it was going to be. All I know is it will be in between the Haymarket and the Basketball facility or around these two facilities. He told us that he believes this will be used for Nebraska Hockey in the near feature. Right away I shot this guy down and told him that Omaha has a Hockey team and that Osborne wasn't going to add a Hockey team because of Omaha. He also told us that they will be building Hotels and some other crap right by this rink and the new Basketball arena but it was hard for me to pay attention to all of his other details because I was still focused on what he had told us about the ice rink.

This guy just kept pointing his finger and saying they're building that there and this there. I can't remember his reasonings on why Nebraska would add a Hockey rink because that was 3 weeks ago and a lot has happened since then like the birth of my son so I apologize for not remembering.

Anyways I would love to see a Nebraska hockey team but its hard for me to believe this guy. Take it for what its worth.

First off congrats on the birth of your son.

Second there could be some truth to this. I remember reading in Lincoln Journal Star and hearing in the news, that a guy from I believe Arizon wanted to build 1 or 2 hockey rinks in or around Haymarket. This well before any talks or news of the new basketball stadium being buildt and plans reveiled. Now I believe it was intended more for city/highschool style hockey to help develop talent here. Since that was a few years ago plans could of been scraped or even changed to meet more of a city/university hockey situation which i'm all in favor of. Especially since we already have a hockey club for UNL.

edited: ok ignore my post Knapplc was faster than I was, and with more information :(

He was probably talking about the Breslow Ice Center. Depending on who you listen to it's either slated to be on O Street about the 600 block (behind Lincoln Station and that parking lot by the Creamery Building) or on that lot your guy was telling you about.

Here's a mockup of it from the 2015 Vision group's website:

Breslow-Ice-Center.jpg

Thanks for the info Knapp +1 :thumbs

Breslow would be more like an Ice Box replacement as the Ice Box's days are numbered once Innovation Campus gets some steam. No way a facility that size would support a B1G Hockey program though, obviously designs could be changed if need be.

I would tend to agree, but they intentionally put "Nebraska Hockey" and a big red :bigredn: at center ice. You gotta think the 2015 Vision group, at least, wants UNL to get hockey.

I'm pretty sure this city would support it, and I know Husker fans in general would.

Thanks for posting the pic, Knapp. My understanding from that article, which I believe is the last one I've seen talk about it, is that the location by Haymarket Park will be where the rink goes, and that construction basically could/will start anytime.

While the Husker logo is in there, I think that was built in to show that one of the sheets would be used for the current club team to play its games on. They currently have to go out of town to play their games (Columbus, if I'm remembering correctly? haven't looked that up in a while). That was the most recent scuttlebutt from my hockey connections here in town. But having the sheet there would certainly give the practice facility to use if they were to upgrade the club hockey to NCAA levels. (If you take a look at Penn State's DI hockey schedule for next year as an independent, they play several club teams next year to round out their schedule) Hopefully, we can find a good funder to bring in the money to start the programs. Perhaps the Breslow family themselves would be willing to put up the money, though those kind of dollars are a great deal more than the $$ needed to build the ice center.

I missed OH's comment. O-H, as far as I still understand from my friends, the owners have essentially been guaranteed that building to play in for as long as they want. It's the one building that won't go by the wayside when Innovation Park/Campus, from what I understand. And I doubt that facility has the seats/amenities capability that the Ice Box currently has. the seating in the new facility doesn't look even close. And part of the reason to build the new facility was to get more ice sheets and more ice time in Lincoln, because the Ice Box offered skaters outside of the hockey users so little time, and that wouldn't make as much sense if the Ice Box were going to go bye-bye all of a sudden. That, and the Ice Box brings in extra money for the University that they don't even have to think about, especially now that they're charging for parking. I don't know why the owners would have gone public with the information about the Ice Box in that fashion if the University hadn't basically guaranteed their place there.

Anyhow, glad to have more ice in Lincoln, regardless. Good all around.

After doing some digging, while there isn't a lot out there about it, there was one article on the Journal-Star's website talking about the Stars not going anywhere else, and every plan design for Innovation Campus I could find had the Ice Box incorporated into the plans. The Journal-Star's article, I believe, also stated that the current lease is until '31, and would continue even to new ownership (article was done before everything was decided and transferred). I don't think the owners are likely to give up that lease agreement too willingly, with the home advantage that place gives them. Time will tell, but I think the intent is to keep the Ice Box there, and that Perlman even stated he thought it would complement Innovation Campus quite well.