Another reason Nebraska needs Div I Hockey

HSKR

Breslow would be more like an Ice Box replacement as the Ice Box's days are numbered once Innovation Campus gets some steam. No way a facility that size would support a B1G Hockey program though, obviously designs could be changed if need be.

I would tend to agree, but they intentionally put "Nebraska Hockey" and a big red :bigredn: at center ice. You gotta think the 2015 Vision group, at least, wants UNL to get hockey.

I'm pretty sure this city would support it, and I know Husker fans in general would.

I would. I love hockey.

Yeah, I don't think the town would have a problem supporting hockey in Lincoln. While not automatic, I think many of the Stars fans would at least be intrigued by Huskers hockey. I also think there are many hockey fans that may have just not developed the affinity for the Stars that would pony up the money for hockey. But ultimately, with a good coach and a building team, I think you could easily build to a crowd that would begin to sell out the new arena. I also think the Huskers brand would attract a few thousand that just may have not been excited/attached themselves to the other hockey teams in the area (Lancers/Stars/Mavs). I think it would be exciting to have the Mavs and the Huskers going at it in an in-state rivalry (though it might take a while for the Huskers to build to where the Mavs are now). I know my family would certainly be amongst the hockey fans that would be interested in tickets.

This thread just reminded me of what someone told my family and I a few weeks ago.

I'm not the one to start rumors but almost 3 weeks ago, the Johnson guys and I went to the Nebraska/Minnesota Baseball game and before the game we tailgate like we do every time we go to a game. While tailgating we invited a Husker father and his son over for some deer meat, peanuts, beer, etc. We got to talking about Erstad, the Baseball team, and the new facilities.

This guy told us that his buddy works with the Construction company that is working on the new facilities and this guy has seen the blueprints and that in the Southwest corner of Haymarket Park there's going to be an ice rink. There's like a long white building there but I guess they're going to tear that down and add an ice rink I believe that's where he said it was going to be. All I know is it will be in between the Haymarket and the Basketball facility or around these two facilities. He told us that he believes this will be used for Nebraska Hockey in the near feature. Right away I shot this guy down and told him that Omaha has a Hockey team and that Osborne wasn't going to add a Hockey team because of Omaha. He also told us that they will be building Hotels and some other crap right by this rink and the new Basketball arena but it was hard for me to pay attention to all of his other details because I was still focused on what he had told us about the ice rink.

This guy just kept pointing his finger and saying they're building that there and this there. I can't remember his reasonings on why Nebraska would add a Hockey rink because that was 3 weeks ago and a lot has happened since then like the birth of my son so I apologize for not remembering.

Anyways I would love to see a Nebraska hockey team but its hard for me to believe this guy. Take it for what its worth.

This could be Breslow as Knapp aluded to..

It could also be the other rink they are looking at building in the Plaza in the middle of the Yard on Canopy Street.

This rink has nothing to do with the Huskers though. It's a 50-by-100-foot ice-skating rink that is designated for public use.

Breslow would be more like an Ice Box replacement as the Ice Box's days are numbered once Innovation Campus gets some steam. No way a facility that size would support a B1G Hockey program though, obviously designs could be changed if need be.

I would tend to agree, but they intentionally put "Nebraska Hockey" and a big red :bigredn: at center ice. You gotta think the 2015 Vision group, at least, wants UNL to get hockey.

I'm pretty sure this city would support it, and I know Husker fans in general would.

That doesn't nessesarily mean anything simply because Nebraska Hockey actually does exist and will likely play games at Breslow.

Nebraska actually already does have a hockey team, they just consider it a club team. They compete in the ACHA on the Divison 3 level.

Strangely Nebraska competes in the Pacific division with Colorado, Texas Tech, Iowa State and Iowa.

Michigan State, Purdue, Northwestern and Indiana all have teams in that league but are in the North division.

Creighton also has a team in that conference - in the Atlantic Divison.

Yeah, I don't think the town would have a problem supporting hockey in Lincoln. While not automatic, I think many of the Stars fans would at least be intrigued by Huskers hockey. I also think there are many hockey fans that may have just not developed the affinity for the Stars that would pony up the money for hockey. But ultimately, with a good coach and a building team, I think you could easily build to a crowd that would begin to sell out the new arena. I also think the Huskers brand would attract a few thousand that just may have not been excited/attached themselves to the other hockey teams in the area (Lancers/Stars/Mavs). I think it would be exciting to have the Mavs and the Huskers going at it in an in-state rivalry (though it might take a while for the Huskers to build to where the Mavs are now). I know my family would certainly be amongst the hockey fans that would be interested in tickets.

My only concern if Nebraska got a hockey team is if it would take too many people away from the Stars games. Maybe someone with better knowledge of the Lancers could relate how the Mavs have affected their attendance but then again, Omaha is a lot bigger market then Lincoln and one would think it would not have affected the Lancers as much as it would the Stars if we got Husker Hockey going.

You can choose to ignore the fact that women have been reduced to mere chattel in our society for hundreds of years. If that's "nothing" to you then it completely explains your position. Have fun with your misogyny.

To answer your question, between volleyball and women's basketball, I probably spend about as much as I spend going to football and the occasional baseball game.

Sorry Knap but it isn't 1954 anymore. People don't like women's sports because they hate women and think they should be in the kitchen baking, they don't want to watch an inferior product, period. You couldn't be more clueless with your misogyny labels either. As I mentioned in the previous post, I wouldn't have any problem dropping down men's sports to club levels either. If you have the time, please feel feel to provide examples of how women's sports today don't draw the numbers that men's do because we are all hating on them women. Thanks in advance.

My only concern if Nebraska got a hockey team is if it would take too many people away from the Stars games. Maybe someone with better knowledge of the Lancers could relate how the Mavs have affected their attendance but then again, Omaha is a lot bigger market then Lincoln and one would think it would not have affected the Lancers as much as it would the Stars if we got Husker Hockey going.

The Stars are currently the highest attended team in the USHL at just under 4K a game. Omaha averages a little under 700 less than them. I do remember the Lancers regularly drawing 5K plus before UNO became a decent program. Take it for what you want UNO and the Lancers are both top 5 attendance teams in the NCAA and USHL respectively. Not sure Lincoln has the fan base to support both at a level like that, the Stars would probably suffer a bit.

Sorry Knap but it isn't 1954 anymore. People don't like women's sports because they hate women and think they should be in the kitchen baking, they don't want to watch an inferior product, period. You couldn't be more clueless with your misogyny labels either. As I mentioned in the previous post, I wouldn't have any problem dropping down men's sports to club levels either. If you have the time, please feel feel to provide examples of how women's sports today don't draw the numbers that men's do because we are all hating on them women. Thanks in advance.

You're right, it isn't 1954 anymore. That's why women have every bit as much a right to a slice of the pie of the Athletic Department fund as men. This is an incontrovertible fact, and none of your attendance numbers matter one bit.

You're welcome. ;)

You're right, it isn't 1954 anymore. That's why women have every bit as much a right to a slice of the pie of the Athletic Department fund as men. This is an incontrovertible fact, and none of your attendance numbers matter one bit.

You're welcome. ;)

Care to actually answer the actual question I asked " please feel feel to provide examples of how women's sports today don't draw the numbers that men's do"? This isn't just college sports either, we are talking all levels as well.

LOL, you really think the women's sports teams at Nebraska should get the equal amount of money that we spend on the men's??!?!?!???!? Are you serious?!?!?!? You do realize that the football team alone spends millions on top of millions more then all the other sports combined don't you? So basically what you just said is you want the football team to drastically divert millions and millions of its money to women's sports? Guess we better start tearing down the east stadium renovation right now.

Keeping digging your hole Knap, LOL!

• Fire 1

Attendance is irrelevant. You couldn't miss the point any harder if you tried.

:lol:

Attendance which actually fund the sports are irrelevant, what a unique perspective you have. Keep digging that hole knap, you should hit China soon. I would ask again to answer any of my previous questions, but by now I know you won't even try to come up with anything, so I will leave it at that.

Oh btw, to get this thread someone back on topic, the reason Nebraska does not have hockey right now and probably would have had it at least two decades ago is because of Title IX.

Attendance which actually fund the sports are irrelevant, what a unique perspective you have. Keep digging that hole knap, you should hit China soon. I would ask again to answer any of my previous questions, but by now I know you won't even try to come up with anything, so I will leave it at that.

Oh btw, to get this thread someone back on topic, the reason Nebraska does not have hockey right now and probably would have had it at least two decades ago is because of Title IX.

You seem to think that these sports wouldn't exist without fans. Completely untrue. They would still exist - just in a smaller version. YOU are superfluous to the COLLEGE STUDENT playing sports.

You're thinking about this as if they are professionals. Stop, because it's completely blowing the point right over your head. These are students. The school has an obligation to provide sporting opportunities to students.

Once you get around to the concept that college athletics don't exist specifically to entertain you, you'll start making progress. Good luck!

You seem to think that these sports wouldn't exist without fans. Completely untrue. They would still exist - just in a smaller version. YOU are superfluous to the COLLEGE STUDENT playing sports.

You're thinking about this as if they are professionals. Stop, because it's completely blowing the point right over your head. These are students. The school has an obligation to provide sporting opportunities to students.

Once you get around to the concept that college athletics don't exist specifically to entertain you, you'll start making progress. Good luck!

Exactly!!! Thus why I said I wouldn't have any problem knocking certain sports, even men's sports down to club level. Give them the scholarships but knock the outrageous and unjustified spending down to reality. That way they can get their education, play their sports and wouldn't have to worry about entertaining the rest of us. Glad you are finally coming around Knap! :)