Top Ten Catholic Teachings Santorum Rejects While Obsessing Over Birth Control

It only annoys when people are ignorant about it...like when 2nd&nine said all Catholics should be held accountable for the crimes of 4% of the priests in the U.S.

Whoa is that the actual percentage, or did you just throw a number out? 4%? That's actually a huge number of priests.

All members of the Roman Catholic Church should hold their church responsible for the actions of their priests.

If the church looks the other way while its priests are raping young boys, then perhaps they should look for another church whose leaders act more in line with their own personal values.

Unless they are alright with the rape of young boys.

Absolutely not. I don't condone anything these people did, but the priests at the church I go to are not pedophiles and are good people, so it would be unfair to them for me to lump them with the bad apples.

I'm sure the other 96% of priests don't condone what the other 4% did. Just because that 4% raped young boys, doesn't mean all of them are equally as guilty.

My problem is that the knowledge went straight to the top . . . and instead of ENDING it and turning it over to the police . . . they tried to protect the image of the church by shuffling the pedos to other areas. Of course, once there, they resumed molesting children.

That's a systemic problem. When the image of the church comes before children you are on the wrong side. Basically, it wasn't just the offending priests. It was also the church trying to cover up the problem which resulted in further molestations.

I realize these are not exclusively Catholic teachings, but since many Christian social beliefs are derived from Deuteronomy, I wonder how many people have actually read Deuteronomy and how one should go about picking and choosing which laws to follow. It is fascinating to me that in the same book there are sensible laws governing charity, and then laws like (paraphrased) "If a wife fends off someone attacking her husband, and she should happen to touch the attackers groin, her hand should be cut off and nobody should pity her." It's almost impossible for me to understand how anyone can believe that transposing laws written to govern an ancient tribal culture on modern society is a good idea, but I'll keep trying.

I'm sure the other 96% of priests don't condone what the other 4% did. Just because that 4% raped young boys, doesn't mean all of them are equally as guilty.

My problem is that the knowledge went straight to the top . . . and instead of ENDING it and turning it over to the police . . . they tried to protect the image of the church by shuffling the pedos to other areas. Of course, once there, they resumed molesting children.

That's a systemic problem. When the image of the church comes before children you are on the wrong side. Basically, it wasn't just the offending priests. It was also the church trying to cover up the problem which resulted in further molestations.

That is the crux of the problem in a nutshell. Not that some "celibate" clergy turned out to be pervs but the higher ups that tried to sweep it under the rug. It is very similar to the PSU deal but on a much larger scale. I think they have finally figured out that their response was a much bigger problem than the actual cases of abuse. I just hope they figure a way to reducing/eliminating the number of kids harmed.

• Fire 1

That is the crux of the problem in a nutshell. Not that some "celibate" clergy turned out to be pervs but the higher ups that tried to sweep it under the rug. It is very similar to the PSU deal but on a much larger scale. I think they have finally figured out that their response was a much bigger problem than the actual cases of abuse. I just hope they figure a way to reducing/eliminating the number of kids harmed.

+1. Agreed.