Top Ten Catholic Teachings Santorum Rejects While Obsessing Over Birth Control

http://www.juancole.com/2012/02/top-ten-catholic-teachings-santorum-rejects-while-obsessing-about-birth-control.html

The right wing Republican politicians who have been denouncing the requirement that female employees have access to birth control as part of their health benefits as an attack on religious freedom completely ignore the church teachings they don’t agree with. Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich are both Catholics, and wear their faith on their sleeves, but they are hypocritical in picking and choosing when they wish to listen to the bishops.

Since someone brought it up...can we have a bash catholics week? Not that I have anything against catholics but if it annoys Po then I'm all for it.

It only annoys when people are ignorant about it...like when 2nd&nine said all Catholics should be held accountable for the crimes of 4% of the priests in the U.S.

If you wanna make fun of me being Catholic, it won't hurt my feelings too much.

Is this bash Catholics week on Huskerboard or something? Well...I'm here so go for it.

We just finished with two millenia of Pagan bashing... now it's your turn.

Seriously, no bashing is intended. These discussions should be treated as Q/A on our religious beliefs. Go ahead... bash away at mine.

I find it somewhat interesting that many will assume that all people that belong to a certain church share the opinion of that church on all matters. I am Catholic but as regards the recent bg two issues (contraceptives and abortion) I get neither of my personal feelings from the church. I see nothing wrong with the use of most contraceptives; the ones that prevent pregnancy before the egg is fertilized. And my anti-abortion views come from a much deeper place within. It has nothing to do with my churches position and everything to do with my personal belief that once that egg is fertilized it will grow into a human being. I just feel the fetus is due the same consideration as any other living being. In the womb or out of the womb is only a difference of location for me. But people will assume I am against most all abortion simply because I am Catholic. I might be wrong but I believe the Catholic church is also against the death penalty, which I am not opposed to. Some feel those are conflicting positions but, for me, one is an innocent life and the other has proven their worthlessness to society. I'm not conflicted at all.

Since someone brought it up...can we have a bash catholics week? Not that I have anything against catholics but if it annoys Po then I'm all for it.

It only annoys when people are ignorant about it...like when 2nd&nine said all Catholics should be held accountable for the crimes of 4% of the priests in the U.S.

Whoa is that the actual percentage, or did you just throw a number out? 4%? That's actually a huge number of priests.

Whoa is that the actual percentage, or did you just throw a number out? 4%? That's actually a huge number of priests.

All members of the Roman Catholic Church should hold their church responsible for the actions of their priests.

If the church looks the other way while its priests are raping young boys, then perhaps they should look for another church whose leaders act more in line with their own personal values.

Unless they are alright with the rape of young boys.

All members of the Roman Catholic Church should hold their church responsible for the actions of their priests.

If the church looks the other way while its priests are raping young boys, then perhaps they should look for another church whose leaders act more in line with their own personal values.

Unless they are alright with the rape of young boys.

I'm starting to wonder if even these priests anymore believe what they preach. The Catholic Church does have a long history of corruption.

Yeah. I looked it up. Although I agree with you that 4,000 or so priests is a high number, there are over 100,000 that had nothing to do with the scandal and as far as I know, good priests.