Huskers Vs. Zags Game 1

95huskers

i think it is going to take a couple weeks to work out all the kinks and get the lineup and positions set up for what the coaches want. remember they are still feeling things out

whoa whoa whoa! what? the season isn't over?! don't tell gumbercules

Look, I have zero confidence in Erstad because I think it was a terrible idea to hire someone who had NEVER been a paid coach simply because he was an ex-husker and an ex-major leaguer. You apparently think differently. That's fine, whatever. I hope I'm wrong. For the record, we made numerous fundamental mistakes, mistakes the other team didn't make. You wanna give them a pass for that be my guest, I'll choose to see if this becomes a habit.

I didn't expect much from this series, as I said earlier I expect us to get swept and will be pleasantly surprised if we win one, but last night's performance (especially defensively) was actually worse than I expected.

Maybe I'm willing to give him a pass just because he inherited a team that sucked to begin with?

So if we're as bad or worse than last year, are you still giving him a pass? How big a pass does he get?

How big of a pass does he get? Well I seem to remember a new coach whose team got swept in their first series and they finished the season 24-20. It was a struggle but the foundation was laid. The next year the coaches brought in some kids that fit what they were trying to do and the returning players learned what the coaches wanted and they did better. The 2nd year they made a regional. One of the new recruits that was brought in was a kid by the name of Bolt. Coach was Dave Van Horn.

Coach Erstad has a great staff and he is willing to rely on them. It's a team effort They will be successful as long as they can recruit. Recruiting and scouting is the key for this staff.

So give it a couple of years.

There is a ton of DBHOF potential in a couple of these posts.

One game. Yep definately have seen enough to write off a season or a coach

It always amazes me how, despite the fact that you could simply reread what was written, people like you still manage to have ZERO comprehension for what you read.

I mean, it's not like you heard something wrong. This is a situation where it's right in front of you. You could actually get it right, and then comment.

How big of a pass does he get? Well I seem to remember a new coach whose team got swept in their first series and they finished the season 24-20. It was a struggle but the foundation was laid. The next year the coaches brought in some kids that fit what they were trying to do and the returning players learned what the coaches wanted and they did better. The 2nd year they made a regional. One of the new recruits that was brought in was a kid by the name of Bolt. Coach was Dave Van Horn.

Coach Erstad has a great staff and he is willing to rely on them. It's a team effort They will be successful as long as they can recruit. Recruiting and scouting is the key for this staff.

Well, that's a nice story and all, but Dave Van Horn was already an established and successful head coach before we brought him here. sh#t, if we had bothered to look outside Haymarket Park for our next head coach, I'd be quite a bit less apprehensive about this hire. It's the complete lack of anything close to experience that has and will bother me until Erstad has CLEARLY shown he knows what the hell he's doing.

Yes we have a nice staff, but in the end it comes down to the head coach.

Having said that, I haven't "written off the season" as I already said earlier, but don't expect me to just shrug and spout the usual "I trust the coaches" nonsense, because I DON'T trust the coaches.

• Fire 1

Well, that's a nice story and all, but Dave Van Horn was already an established and successful head coach before we brought him here. sh#t, if we had bothered to look outside Haymarket Park for our next head coach, I'd be quite a bit less apprehensive about this hire. It's the complete lack of anything close to experience that has and will bother me until Erstad has CLEARLY shown he knows what the hell he's doing.

Yes we have a nice staff, but in the end it comes down to the head coach.

Having said that, I haven't "written off the season" as I already said earlier, but don't expect me to just shrug and spout the usual "I trust the coaches" nonsense, because I DON'T trust the coaches.

Fair enough. I will say that Erstad has said all the right things so far. He sounds like he knows what he is doing. I think a leader can be successful if he surrounds himself with the right people and let them do their jobs, so we will have to agree to disagree.

Gumbercules... I agree the Big Ten is bad top to bottom, you will not see me argue that point at all. I just think when compared to us right now, they aren't that bad. I by no means expect us to go in and win it.

As far as your comment about not being happy with the hire of Erstad, neither was I, not in the smallest bit. I remember sitting in my room listening to the press conference and being pissed off because how fried I was at the hire. However, the hire of Bolt as an assistant appeased me. Granted it was Texarkana, I really like Bolt.. Not because he was a former player but he seems to have the right mentality. The fact that it's his alma mater just gives hope that he'll stay...While I am not sure that it will happen, I would love to see Erstad just heading the program to get Bolt a little more experience. This does NOT mean that I'm writing off this season or this era by any means, just how I want to see it.

As far as the "pass" that is given, I don't know how I would look at that. Some people made the argument that Anderson was that bad that he was consistently losing with talent. Some think he just couldn't get the talent here. Depending on how you look at it depends on what kind of "pass" you give him I guess. I think that we have the ability to win in the next couple of years. As long as we aren't decimated by the draft, we have a relatively young team that could develop well. If they continue to grow this year, it could be exciting to watch them play next year.