Corey Raymond a candidate at LSU?

Nexus

You don't think Marvin developed guys? Really? Say what you will about his meh recruiting but the guy was a superb coach and player shortcomings this season weren't on his head.

We didn't really develop the youth behind our seniors when Marvin was here. That's why we came into last season with more or less a completely green set of CBs.

I hope in the future we groom the young guys when we get the chance.

if that got us 3-4 top 250 recruits from the area each year...it would likely be worth it. where I have a problem is Bo looking to Hastings College, or New Mexico State Pen. for his staff. Bo doesn't interview, Bo doesn't search...he's got a list w/ a heading "I can get along w/ these guys" - and that list is dwindling with each passing season.

does anyone else notice staff turnover is beginning to be an issue for Bo? and unfortunately the turnover isn't the weak link.

I think the bolded part is just speculation, and staff turnover I really don't think is an issue.

Besides, the guys who have left, pretty much of them can be said to be 'mutual' decisions, at best. Marvin, Carl, Ek, Wats, Gilmore...am I missing anybody?

if that got us 3-4 top 250 recruits from the area each year...it would likely be worth it. where I have a problem is Bo looking to Hastings College, or New Mexico State Pen. for his staff. Bo doesn't interview, Bo doesn't search...he's got a list w/ a heading "I can get along w/ these guys" - and that list is dwindling with each passing season.

does anyone else notice staff turnover is beginning to be an issue for Bo? and unfortunately the turnover isn't the weak link.

I think the bolded part is just speculation, and staff turnover I really don't think is an issue.

Besides, the guys who have left, pretty much of them can be said to be 'mutual' decisions, at best. Marvin, Carl, Ek, Wats, Gilmore...am I missing anybody?

of course it's speculation - i haven't actually seen the list. :)

and I don't care if they are "mutual" decisions...the fact that it's a "mutual" decision is even more concerning because the original hire wasn't correct for some reason or another (gilmore, wats, marvin, etc).

2008 Staff

OC: Watson

DC/DL: Pelini

RB: Beck

TE: Brown

OL: Cotton

LB: Ekeler

REC: Gilmore

DE: Pap

DB: Sanders

Red are gone, orange took lateral move, Green are questionable promotions IMO. From a business sense, the entire staff has turned over in 4 years, with the only exception being Cotton (the weak link IMO). And now we might be starting the second transition towards another complete turnover.

of course it's speculation - i haven't actually seen the list. :)

and I don't care if they are "mutual" decisions...the fact that it's a "mutual" decision is even more concerning because the original hire wasn't correct for some reason or another (gilmore, wats, marvin, etc).

2008 Staff

OC: Watson

DC/DL: Pelini

RB: Beck

TE: Brown

OL: Cotton

LB: Ekeler

REC: Gilmore

DE: Pap

DB: Sanders

Red are gone, orange took lateral move, Green are questionable promotions IMO. From a business sense, the entire staff has turned over in 4 years, with the only exception being Cotton (the weak link IMO). And now we might be starting the second transition towards another complete turnover.

well, as jacked up as we are regarding coaching cohessiveness, we are pretty damn lucky to have 9 win seasons, but that won't last for long.

• Fire 1

Well, let's put it this way, Marvin and Carl more or less had to go.

I'm with you on the concerns but to play devil's advocate, a coach needs guys he can trust to bring in. Belichick at NE doesn't always bring in big name guys and often promotes from within, because those are the guys that he knows and trusts.

Bo seems the same way and while I think our new LB and WR coach from last season are big question mark, I think we also made some fantastic hires in Corey Raymond and our new DL coach, Kaz.

OC and DC are definitely concerns. But Bo being the real DC anyway, that isn't too unusual. Also, it seems we may have had to promote Pap to keep him; as valuable as he is to the staff, I guess that's a good move. OC, I am a bit skeptical of how this went about, but on the other hand, Beck is a hell of a coach and has pulled his weight and then some on this staff.

Cotton continues to be a big, big, big concern for me. From what has been done about that position, it seems like Bo and everyone in the administration knows it too, but they're too nice to actually dismiss it.

I'm a little meh, I need more time to decide

I agree, i need more time to decide whether or not this guy is the real deal as our secondary coach. But if he leaves, then we will never know how it would have turned out.

If im not mistaken, he was the only one who didn't get a bonus this year.

1. How do you know what Bo does when there is an opening on his staff? Are you in the room or a part of the process?

2. Bo is tremendously respected within the football coaching community because other football understand all the complexities which go into coaching. To say that most or a majority of other coaches are starting to "dislike" Bo, as evidenced by your dwindling comment, is simply wrong. And if you believe your assertion is correct I'd like to see your evidence. Football coaches are some of the most intense competitors there are and guys like Nick Saban, Les Miles, Bob Stoops, Will Muschamp, Lane Kiffin, et al are just as fiery and intense as Bo.

• Fire 3

Assuming Raymond bolts for LSU, it'll be interesting to observe the rumor mill concerning his replacement. I'm curious who Bo even has on his radar? I know most would welcome back Marvin Sanders but I'm not sure how realistic that is considering the circumstances of his resignation.

Look for some standout High School coach from Ohio --- or... someone else with little or no college-level coaching success... that seems to be where Bo hires

Didn't he find Kaz while he was on a search, interviewing different guys?

1. How do you know what Bo does when there is an opening on his staff? Are you in the room or a part of the process?

2. Bo is tremendously respected within the football coaching community because other football understand all the complexities which go into coaching. To say that most or a majority of other coaches are starting to "dislike" Bo, as evidenced by your dwindling comment, is simply wrong. And if you believe your assertion is correct I'd like to see your evidence. Football coaches are some of the most intense competitors there are and guys like Nick Saban, Les Miles, Bob Stoops, Will Muschamp, Lane Kiffin, et al are just as fiery and intense as Bo.

How did you come to this conclusion by reading that? And how did you take my statement as anything other than opinion? Asking for evidence to an opinion...like I truely believe Bo has some list taped to the back of his door he references every time he needs a new coach deserves a :facepalm:. And what does "fire and intensity" have to do with it?

You just decided to disagree w/ me then went grasping for straws.

kchusker_chris said: "Bo doesn't interview" and "and the list of coaches he can get along with is dwindling."

I disagreed with the substance of your post not because I saw you posted it. Further, I challenged the substance of your post which was to dispute the fact that Bo "doesn't interview" and that he can't "get along" with an ever increasing list of fellow coaches. I'm simply disputing what you typed.

It's your opinion fine, so what is the basis for your opinion?

• Fire 1

kchusker_chris said: "Bo doesn't interview" and "and the list of coaches he can get along with is dwindling."

I disagreed with the substance of your post not because I saw you posted it. Further, I challenged the substance of your post which was to dispute the fact that Bo "doesn't interview" and that he can't "get along" with an ever increasing list of fellow coaches. I'm simply disputing what you typed.

The fact that nearly every hire has come from within his inner circle of buddies. It's not top secret. You can argue whether or not it's good/bad if you want, but the truth is he's not the guy that would ever bring in someone too far from the outside...regardless of how proven that person is.

I own businesses, so I look at college football more from a business side. I want the best people working for me. A lot of people defend Bo's hiring by talking about the "coaching circle" and all this and that...but ultimately he's the CEO of an $80 million business. If the CEO of a company did nothing but promote from within and hire buddies...eventually the business dies. You can't innovate or evolve without bringing in outside ideas. And if as the CEO you aren't open to those things, it's only a matter of time before you begin to see the little chinks forming in your armor.

EDIT: actually Tom is probably the CEO - Bo is the Executive VP of Product Development...which means he needs to be even more innovative.

• Fire 1

The fact that nearly every hire has come from within his inner circle of buddies. It's not top secret. You can argue whether or not it's good/bad if you want, but the truth is he's not the guy that would ever bring in someone too far from the outside...regardless of how proven that person is.

I own businesses, so I look at college football more from a business side. I want the best people working for me. A lot of people defend Bo's hiring by talking about the "coaching circle" and all this and that...but ultimately he's the CEO of an $80 million business. If the CEO of a company did nothing but promote from within and hire buddies...eventually the business dies. You can't innovate or evolve without bringing in outside ideas. And if as the CEO you aren't open to those things, it's only a matter of time before you begin to see the little chinks forming in your armor.

EDIT: actually Tom is probably the CEO - Bo is the Executive VP of Product Development...which means he needs to be even more innovative.

Just about all football coaches hire people they already know or have some kind of connection with and to say this is somehow unique to Bo is simply not true.

Okay I certainly understand your analogy. But businesses, especially the successful ones, usually have a promote from within policy. That's not to say they always promote from within but they give interested internal candidates a good long look before they hire an "outsider." Look at it this way, how hard do you think people work for you if they know you'll never promote them? They'll work and put in just enough effort to keep their job(s) or not to get fired. Why would your employees go above and beyond when there's absolutely no reward? The company I work for has a promote from within policy. Meaning when a top position opens up interested and qualified candidates are interviewed and at least given an opportunity to advance. Then an "outsider" is brought in to fill the vacancy left by the person being promoted. In my opinion that's good business practices and it makes me, and the people I work with, bust our humps to advance. Bo does it the same way and I have no problem whatsoever with it.

• Fire 1

if the candidate within is qualified for the position. i wouldn't promote a junior developer (less than 3 years experience) into a senior lead position just because he's a great developer and I don't want him to leave. losing him as a junior developer is far less detrimental to the company than having an unqualified lead...even if a few years down the road he might turn into a great lead. but giving him 2-3 years to develop into that when there's a good chance he won't even still be w/ the company at that time isn't worth it to me.

if i thought JP would be here 10 years from now I'd say this is a great promotion. but these guys come and go so frequently anymore that it's not about promotion anymore in coaching...it's about finding the guy that's best for the position this year, and next year, and maybe the following year. after that it's all bonus.

(software companies in case you can't tell)