Baseball RPI

Purdue just dropped two to Witchita State which is something like 13-10. That series is going to be fun as I would guess the two will be 1 and 2 in the conference at that point. Glad it's at home, should be a great atmosphere.

Looking through the B1G teams' schedules, it is sad how little these teams try to strengthen their resumes. We all heard the talk about how pre-conference is what matters because NU will need to raise their RPI during that time, but now we're seeing it play out. These RPIs are horrible. I'm glad Erstad is taking the 'anybody anywhere anytime' approach, because this conference really is a joke.

The B1G could def get 3 teams in the tournament this year as long as the top 5 teams keep it up.

10. Purdue

44. Ohio St.

47. Nebraska

59. Illinois

64. Michigan St.

142. Minnesota

199. Indiana

205. Michigan

212. Iowa

215. Penn St.

269. Northwestern

Yup. Mentioned before that there's an outside (20%) shot of that happening. I was thinking more along the lines of Illinois pulling this off, but Michigan State is looking formidable as well. Remember that even the NCAA realizes that the current RPI is broken, which is why the formula will change next year to place more weight on away wins. We will likely see teams whose RPI aren't that impressive get into the tournament, and that will include a third place Big 10 team, as long as they stick very close to Purdue and DoNU in the standings and tourney.

And if this comes to fruition, what's great is that this will put egg on the face of that Minnesota baseball coach (and the Big 10 officials who didn't dismiss his assessments...) who was whining that the Big 10 can't compete. Long term, it will also help Big 10 baseball find itself again--that's good for both Nebraska and the Big 10 as a whole.

Now, if we could get the Big 10 to remove their baseball scholarship penalty for players that leave early...I mean, unless they intend to enforce the same penalty on all other sports in the conference, they need to get rid of it ASAP.