Joseph Kony Campaign- Thoughts?

Pham says the timing is bad because U.S. troops already on the ground and diplomatic efforts underway would work best "in the shadows."

The Obama administration sent 100 special operations troops in October to work with Ugandan forces to root out Kony and his band of fighters. Another group of U.S. forces is working with the Congo and other neighboring countries to catch Kony.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-03-08/invisible-children-kony-2012/53422862/1?csp=34news&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+usatoday-NewsTopStories+%28News+-+Top+Stories%29

In the end this is a flash in the pan... The video went uber viral, was posted all over, comments saying Kony 2012, but in two weeks (likely less) it will vanish as quickly as it appeared. In the end the people who posted the video etc, will do just that post, then move on. Most have no intention of doing anything, it just looks cool to be "active" or whatever.

The Good = People want to help bring down someone who is doing terrible things.

The Bad = People love jumping on trends without doing any research first.

I watched the video. Felt bad. Didn't share it or anything. Not really going to do anything about it. I'm not a big fan of jumping on trends. I think that's why I despise Twitter so much.

This isn't a new thing. I don't understand why so many people get wrapped up in these things without looking into it first.

The world is a scary place. The world is filled with terrible people who want to do terrible things just for the sake of being terrible. Liking a Facebook status, sharing a video, or tweeting some trendy hashtag garbage isn't going to make the world a better place.

Negative? Yes, but I'm a realist.

One of the founders of the group that made the Kony video was arrested for "strange behavior" (masturbating in public) in San Diego. He may or may not have been under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/17/world/africa/uganda-viral-video/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Jason Russell, director of a documentary about a notorious Ugandan warlord that went viral, does not have a drinking or drug problem, according to his family, after the filmmaker was seen running through the streets of San Diego in his underwear.

I am so glad you guys did not bite on the Kony thing. We have had roughly 100 soldiers in the area since last October. Could be November cant remember. Kony is long gone and I made a bet with a pentagon friend of mine for 500 dollars that kony was dead. That meant if his team captured him they could not throw him into the ocean. the pentagon contact refused to take the bet. Also, the pysop of kony completely backfired. Ugandans rioted when they saw the kony 2012 video. The LRA is not a threat to any one. The land that they are on is very mineral rich and alot of natural resources. I think it is roughly 200 sq miles. Basically what will happen is that the united nations will come in, if they decide to keep proceeding in uganda and force people off their land. It is a classic united nation move.