Harvey Perlman's SI Interview on the BCS

Andy Staples (not to be confused with his alter ego, Randy Staples) interviewed our Chancellor, Harvey Perlman, who sits on the BCS Presidential Oversight Committee. Perlman was, until recently, the Chair of the committee.

Perlman's anti-playoff stance is in full effect in this interview.

Q&A with Nebraska chancellor Harvey Perlman

SI: You've been the only high-profile president in the past few months to come out in favor of the current system. Why have you stood firm while others have gone another way?

Perlman: I don't know if everyone else is going a different way. I don't see a lot of presidents out there taking strong positions at this point. I certainly haven't seen the presidents of the Big Ten out taking positions. There may be some tweaks about the present system that I'd be supportive of. I know there's great concern among the non-automatic qualifying conferences about this automatic qualifying/non-automatic qualifying and the branding issues and whether that is driving conference expansion that doesn't comport with common sense. If that's true, I do think that could be addressed without radically changing the postseason.

Click the headline for the full interview. Perlman only sees benefit to the +1 system in that it will allow fans to have one more game. He doesn't feel that will better crown a champion, nor does he think a playoff will better answer the question of who college football's champion is. He sees the driver of the playoff crowd as simply a desire to see more football. I see that as a vast oversimplification of the stance of those interested in the demise of the BCS.

I didn't read this in full, but Perlman is a smart guy. Something that caught my eye is this:

You can tell me that I can't give them bagels with cream cheese and I can't give them more scholarships and I can't do this and I can't do that, and I follow those rules. But then what I do to recruit competitively is I spend the money on other stuff. So I build facilities where there is no limit on what I can do, and I make those facilities far beyond what normal students live in because there's no limit on that.

Those comments make me wonder: What if we were to build a state-of-the-art "dorm" that football players live in. I don't know if it would be against the rules, but if not, then it would be a great idea. Have a super-nice living space for athletes to live in, and that could be another huge recruiting point for us. It could be a freakin' mansion with an indoor half-size practice turf built onto it. If I were a highly recruited football player and I saw that on my campus visit, that would definitely be a huge exclamation point in my mind.

I didn't read this in full, but Perlman is a smart guy. Something that caught my eye is this:

You can tell me that I can't give them bagels with cream cheese and I can't give them more scholarships and I can't do this and I can't do that, and I follow those rules. But then what I do to recruit competitively is I spend the money on other stuff. So I build facilities where there is no limit on what I can do, and I make those facilities far beyond what normal students live in because there's no limit on that.

Those comments make me wonder: What if we were to build a state-of-the-art "dorm" that football players live in. I don't know if it would be against the rules, but if not, then it would be a great idea. Have a super-nice living space for athletes to live in, and that could be another huge recruiting point for us. It could be a freakin' mansion with an indoor half-size practice turf built onto it. If I were a highly recruited football player and I saw that on my campus visit, that would definitely be a huge exclamation point in my mind.

They banned athlete only housing many years ago because of players getting getting nice places with extra room etc. However. . .there is a strong push now to bring it back.

Oklahoma had a notorious athlete dorm. I worked with a guy who wrestled for OU. That place was literally Animal House.

It could get rough. Joe Kane could burn his cutout in the shower, Lattimer could get roused up and try and attack a booster's daughter, and Alvin Mack would have to hold him back, the backup QB will screw over the coaches daughter, Halle Berry won't leave.....

They already put the freshman players in Knoll Residential Hall, which are some of the nicest dorms on campus. They are suite style and room 4 people. They put the freshman basketball players there too, I live in Knoll and at the beginning of the year a basketball representative came and took pictures of my room to show recruits the room and how nice they are.