Second Spring Practice - 2012

^ because it's assumed that Taylor was the #3 guy and still possibly going to be playing WR in summer of 2010. (even though da'skers mentioned in another thread that Taylor was identified as the #1 guy almost the entire time the media was making it out to be a Green/Lee race).

Also, last summer there wasn't a lot of discussion about his mechanics either. I actually think they became worse between his 2010 season and 2011. That shoulder dropped, floater of ball he was throwing wasn't there during the 2010 season...that was new to 2011 so they must have changed something - just maybe for the worse.

Frankly I'm surprised we didn't read about Taylor living at a QB clinic during last summer. I'll be disappointed if we don't this summer.

Last summer he spent a little under a month in CA with a QB coach who changed his throwing style. Because of the time limits they focus more on the type of ball to throw based on defensive coverages. They worked on how they wanted the ball to rise and drop down in the receivers basket. That changed his throwing motion but he wasn't really all that comfortable. It gave him a more consistent ball with some types of throws but his footwork didn't get to where it needed to be. Thats why if you watch him side arm the ball he likes the power behind it and it felt better to him it was just harder to predict where it would end up vs his "long bomb" that he'd throw and stumble backward. I think thats what they are working on now.

If you'd post something of substance you'd find you wouldn't be posting nearly as much...

The most ironic post of the year.

I've been called a debbie downer frequently, but at least when I post something it contains words beyond: "this coaching staff sucks and we'll never win" or "i hate you all because you locked a thread I'd contaminated".

you may not agree w/ what I post - but at least I put some thought into what I post prior to running my mouth (fingers) - (at least most of the time)

• Fire 1

If you'd post something of substance you'd find you wouldn't be posting nearly as much...

The most ironic post of the year.

I've been called a debbie downer frequently, but at least when I post something it contains words beyond: "this coaching staff sucks and we'll never win" or "i hate you all because you locked a thread I'd contaminated".

you may not agree w/ what I post - but at least I put some thought into what I post prior to running my mouth (fingers) - (at least most of the time)

I did wonder why the thread about day 1 of spring practice was locked because I didn't feel, at least from my posts anyway, that it warranted a lock. Then someone else asked me to bring it up again and I said no because it would be like peeing into a stiff breeze.

I want you to show all my posts where I said that this coaching staff sucks, we'll never win, I hate you all because a thread was locked. Go ahead Dudley Donothing Right I'll be waiting.

^ i'd find a new coach this summer then :)

not sure if he got his "money's worth"?

not that we saw - either that or last year could have been a whole lot worse. I actually think he was better in 10' than he was in 11' - as far as his mechanics go anyway. You look back to Texas/Oklahoma State 2010 and he was showing a lot of promise as a passer. He wasn't able to manage the game like he did in 11' because he was a freshman - but mechanics-wise I wasn't nearly as worried. Then comes 11' when he's really improved as far as managing the game/offense goes, but his mechanics are piss poor and to top it off he can't scramble and is outrun by half the defense. We need the athlete of 10', combined w/ the quarterback of 11' and he'll have a solid year.

Taylor certainly has the potential...but he's running out of time to show it.

I want you to show all my posts where I said that this coaching staff sucks, we'll never win, I hate you all because a thread was locked. Go ahead Dudley Donothing Right I'll be waiting.

we call that being ficitious

sincerely,

dudley

Ficticious or backtracking? Since I'm not wanting to continue a pointless off-season measuring contest I'll simply take you at your word that you were in fact being ficticious. :backtotopic

I agree with this. Chris and I seem to have different points of view on a lot of things, but I never get the impression he's talking out of his ass. Different perspective, but not unsupportable doom-and-gloom all the time.

And let's not rehash the First Spring Practice thread. It got locked for several reasons, not because of one person or one issue. Let's talk football and move on from that thread, OK?

I agree with this. Chris and I seem to have different points of view on a lot of things, but I never get the impression he's talking out of his ass. Different perspective, but not unsupportable doom-and-gloom all the time.

And let's not rehash the First Spring Practice thread. It got locked for several reasons, not because of one person or one issue. Let's talk football and move on from that thread, OK?

Can't resist elbowing in on this......

I rarely agree with Chris either but he's sharp, never uses the brain-dead hater mode (Bo s*cks, Tmart s*cks, etc) as "proof" and is reasonable to debate with. He's a good asset to this forum.

Now, if I could just get him to understand how wrong he is. :-)

Language!!! Please! :P

Can't resist elbowing in on this......

I rarely agree with Chris either but he's sharp, never uses the brain-dead hater mode (Bo s*cks, Tmart s*cks, etc) as "proof" and is reasonable to debate with. He's a good asset to this forum.

Now, if I could just get him to understand how wrong he is. :-)

haha - if I could just get you (and hercules) to quit riding Taylor's jock I'd convince you how wrong you are :) - all in good fun.

As the offseason progresses and last season wears off my debbie-downer days slowly fade away, replaced by that thing we kansas city people call hope. We have it every year for the Royals...so being a Husker fan - no matter how bad we finish the season...is still a welcome relief.

I will however continue to doubt Beck (though I think now that Bo is out of his meetings and spending more time on the defense Beck can be successful). JP on the other hand...still puzzled over that one. Martinez, jury still out - I want to see the 2010 athlete again then I'll jump back on that bandwagon. Don't even care if his passing mechanics suck, but when they suck "and" he's not the athlete of 2010 then it's just a liability.

I still wonder about the perception that Martinez wasn't as explosive in 2011 as in 2010. Clearly, he didn't put up the numbers or the big plays, but I thought he always looked as explosive. I just thought defenses in 2011 were much better prepared - they did everything they could to contain the big runs, and took conservative angles. Martinez's big plays in 2010 often came when the defense misjudged is acceleration and took a bad angle, which took them out of the play. I wouldn't expect to see that many 80 yard touchdown runs in a single season again by any Husker any time soon.

My perception is more based on his scrambling (or lack of) ability. Not that it was something he did well in 2010...but, not really until that Washington game in 2010 did I see him completely incapacitated by a pass rush - and at the time I blamed it on the injury. But it carried over into 2011 as well. Even a terrible runner like Ganz can scramble for 200 yards a season. A guy like Martinez should be able to gain 400 yards a season just from broken plays - let alone designed runs and/or reads/option. He could likely have another 200-400 passing yards if he could stretch out a play to allow his receivers more time to get open. That's when I could see him being really deadly. That's when the passing lanes start to open up and our offense becomes dominant. That's the difference between Robinson and Taylor IMO. I bet Taylor had negative scrambling yards last year when you take into account the sacks that he wasn't able to avoid. I bet 30% of Robinson's yards came off broken plays, and 30% of his passing yards came on plays he extended w/ his feet. I just didn't see that from Taylor last year. That's what I want to see this year.