Infinity..

Have any of you ever thought of the idea of infinity? I find it to be totally mind bogeling. A never ending expance of space in all directions. Incredible worlds with incredible beings. Places our world will not be able to visit ever. Worlds that come and go based on how the habitants manage their enviroment. I wish I was 12 with an IQ of 200 and cold really work with this question.

T_O_B

Well, the size universe is not infinite, and nor has it been around for an infinite amount of time

We don't know for sure. We don't know everything about the universe or how it all works together that's why we have people continually looking in the skies otherwise there would be no need really. Looking into a telescope and limited movement only within our own area of space is only going to tell you so much.

Sure, we don't know anything for sure, but that's the current model and there is a very strong scientific consensus for it.

Technically, anything could have happened before the Big Bang, I guess, and there could be infinite multiple parallel universes, or things like that -- and it looks to be around for an infinite amount of time, so.

Science is keenly aware of its limitations, but that doesn't mean there has been a lot of knowledge accumulated from it. There's fairly little reason to suspect otherwise, on this. JMO, maybe there's some new groundbreaking research or something, but I feel like that would rather turn the entire field of astronomy on its head.

It's like with evolution as the foundation of modern biology, or to use a less controversial example, it's like how they always say relativity and quantum mechanics, the two big models in physics, are incompatible and therefore one must be 'wrong." So while physics has been searching for a grand unified master theory, it isn't like Newtonian gravity or quantum mechanics is simply wrong, and the incompatibilities only occur at the extremest of scales. If quantum theory were wrong, modern computing technology simply would not exist today.

Sure, we don't know anything for sure, but that's the current model and there is a very strong scientific consensus for it.

Technically, anything could have happened before the Big Bang, I guess, and there could be infinite multiple parallel universes, or things like that -- and it looks to be around for an infinite amount of time, so.

Science is keenly aware of its limitations, but that doesn't mean there has been a lot of knowledge accumulated from it. There's fairly little reason to suspect otherwise, on this. JMO, maybe there's some new groundbreaking research or something, but I feel like that would rather turn the entire field of astronomy on its head.

It's like with evolution as the foundation of modern biology, or to use a less controversial example, it's like how they always say relativity and quantum mechanics, the two big models in physics, are incompatible and therefore one must be 'wrong." So while physics has been searching for a grand unified master theory, it isn't like Newtonian gravity or quantum mechanics is simply wrong, and the incompatibilities only occur at the extremest of scales. If quantum theory were wrong, modern computing technology simply would not exist today.

:throw

it seems nowadays science is starting to border on more of philosophy rather than any factual evidence. Some scientists found out to have fudge data it seems they have more of an agenda than just finding the truth sometime(global warming). Sure not all of them do it but with the government slashing funds for astronomy and such they have more of agenda to do it than before.

You need to do your research on that :)

Science has always had a human error component to it. The process holds them accountable. Results need to be reproducible. If you want to talk about philosophical you could get into various advanced physics theories that are not very test-able, however nice the math looks behind it, but that has nothing to do with fudging data, which happens all the time, but again, you are trying to paint doubt on some of the biggest foundational theories in their respective fields on nothing but pure speculation and unrelated generalization.

but with the government slashing funds for astronomy and such they have more of agenda to do it than before.

...as well as totally unsupported claims.

You need to do your research on that :)

Science has always had a human error component to it. The process holds them accountable. Results need to be reproducible. If you want to talk about philosophical you could get into various advanced physics theories that are not very test-able, however nice the math looks behind it, but that has nothing to do with fudging data, which happens all the time, but again, you are trying to paint doubt on some of the biggest foundational theories in their respective fields on nothing but pure speculation and unrelated generalization.

but with the government slashing funds for astronomy and such they have more of agenda to do it than before.

No NASA's funding is being slashed and the space shuttle program ending. Yeah they aren't slashing anything. :rolleyes:

http://www.geekosystem.com/nasa-huge-budget-cut/

No NASA's funding is being slashed and the space shuttle program ending. Yeah they aren't slashing anything. :rolleyes:

http://www.geekosyst...uge-budget-cut/

I bolded the main clause of the sentence I was objecting to, the part that is speculation. I thought that was clear! My mistake :P

http://www.geekosyst...uge-budget-cut/

I bolded the main clause of the sentence I was objecting to, the part that is speculation. I thought that was clear! My mistake :P

Well they start getting their funding slashed kinda do have to have an agenda. I mean look at the Global Warming crowd. Fudging data just to keep jobs. It wouldn't suprise in the least if they did.

It's still simply conjecture. Any area of scientific research ever has been in a constant battle to fight for money to continue doing what they do. And you're broadly painting an entire area of research on which there is still considerable scientific consensus (although not in the alarmist way it is usually portrayed) as entirely up in the air thanks to the admittedly extremely improper practices of a few.

It's still simply conjecture. Any area of scientific research ever has been in a constant battle to fight for money to continue doing what they do. And you're broadly painting an entire area of research on which there is still considerable scientific consensus (although not in the alarmist way it is usually portrayed) as entirely up in the air thanks to the admittedly extremely improper practices of a few.

Depends on what area when you are talking about a few. Global Warming is a lot more than a few. Medicine is rigged so the big companies discover everything. Independent ones struggle for funding. Remember how the news actually used to be about the news instead of being a money making machine it is now? yeah that is what science is slowly becoming to where we have to have now thousands of reviews because we simply can't trust their data anymore.

Right, what I mean is you are broadly associating the practices of the scandal a few years ago with the entire community of research on climate change. Correct me if that's wrong.

the scandal is still going on. I don't know why they think the Earth has to have some certain point of temperature that must always be maintained. We are still coming out of an Mini Ice Age and it sounds more plausible that the Earth is heating up to what it was before the Ice Age. Ice Ages aren't new to Earth. Earth has experienced at least 4 before mankind set foot on it's soil.