Huskers in Denial

jayhawk

I don't think its an insult to anyone to say I wish Nebraska still ran the old I. I for one happened to like it, you won a BUNCH, and did it for a long time. Solich was no Tom Osborne, but lets see...

9-4

12-1

10-2

11-2

7-7

10-3

I am just saying Nebraska had one of the greatest legacies of all time and it had a lot to do with The I formation, the option, ball control and great defense. I am not sure why pointing out that this strategy was a good one means I "need to act like I have been there before". That style had you in a National title game, with a team I think most would agree was not anywhere near the top for Nebraska quality wise, as recently as 2001/2002 season. I liked that kind of football, as a Kansas fan I had free time on most New Year's days... Watching Tommy Frazier running down the field laughing against Florida was pretty sweet.

Anyway, your board has a lot of class. I am a Kansas season ticket holder and you all bring the most fans and are great to have. A few jerks slashed some tires, but most Kansas fans do not treat their guests that way. No fights in the crowd, very little taunting, etc. I have been going to the games in Lawrence for 25 years now, so I have seen how fans can act (Oklahoma and Missouri come to mind).

Well, it was good to have a day in the sun, being a Kansas football die hard is rough work. Thick and thin, though.

As for the post that suggested I think we gave the 93' game, no way. I am saying we had class for not putting a tie up. Most coaches and schools in that situation, having been whipped for over 2 decades at the time, would take a tie. We were either gonna win or you were gonna go on unblemished. I like to think I can recognize class in all directions. Sorry someone hurt some property, every group has some jerks.

I am sure Nebraska will be back, and thanks for the fine treatment on your board!

:)

Anyway, your board has a lot of class. I am a Kansas season ticket holder and you all bring the most fans and are great to have. A few jerks slashed some tires, but most Kansas fans do not treat their guests that way. No fights in the crowd, very little taunting, etc. I have been going to the games in Lawrence for 25 years now, so I have seen how fans can act (Oklahoma and Missouri come to mind).

Thanks for the kind words – we try and make everyone feel welcome. It’s how Eric the Red managed to slip in…

I am just saying Nebraska had one of the greatest legacies of all time and it had a lot to do with The I formation, the option, ball control and great defense. I am not sure why pointing out that this strategy was a good one means I "need to act like I have been there before". That style had you in a National title game, with a team I think most would agree was not anywhere near the top for Nebraska quality wise, as recently as 2001/2002 season. I liked that kind of football, as a Kansas fan I had free time on most New Year's days... Watching Tommy Frazier running down the field laughing against Florida was pretty sweet.

I think just about everyone loved watching the option and what it represented for NU. I, for one, posted early on during the coaching change that I hoped it would be retained – it had come to be part of NU’s identity.

Yes, it could still work – just about any offense will if you have the talent to run it. The trouble is that so few coaches want to run it, and so few recruits want to go to a school that runs it. The option isn’t “better” or “worse” than any other offense – it depends on whether you get the right people for it.

The one benefit to the West Coast Offense is that it immediately opens up the scope of your recruiting – more kids are willing to consider a school that runs it than runs the option. It gives you a better chance – everything else being equal – to recruit the best talent.

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Callahan was an option coach, given the strides they’ve made in recruiting thus far…