Catholic Church Cont'd

I am sure that would have been the best option for her. You have to remember when and where it happened, you are using 21st century logic in an ancient world. If she had been raped then she would no longer be a virgin and no one would want to marry her. She would have no way to earn a living because only men owned land and she couldn't survive without a male.

You think a modern woman who has many options still has a choice to get raped? Once the woman has been raped how does she survive if no man is willing to marry her? The option in the bible was not good, but it was made to ensure at least the woman is taken care of if she is violated.

And you are talking about two different eras. You are comparing a nation that lived two thousand years ago with a modern one so even if they are remotely similar one no longer exists while the other one is still inflicting pain and intimidating women to this day. :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh

I love the justification we try and put on this. Instead of a giving out commandments such as "If you rape a woman, you will be thrown in jail. The woman shall be given love and support from her family and community."

A god instead says that the woman shall live with her attacker for the rest of her life because no one will want her. "Want"...remember that. Again, property in someone else's eyes. And probably in the eyes of the attacker she just was forced to marry. You think that's going to be a loving relationship?

Please...don't try and justify rape and claim that your god was only doing his best with what he had to work with.

No one is justifying rape, where di dyou get that I justified rape!?!? In ancient times what would happen to that woman you tell me, you have all the answers, what would becomeof her in that time, do you have an answer? :hmmph

No one is justifying rape. In ancient times what would happen to that woman you tell me, you have all the answers, what would becomeof her in that time, do you have an answer? :hmmph

Are you asking what WOULD have happened or what SHOULD have happened? Further, are you talking specifically in the Levant and environs or in all cultures? Because not all Bronze Age cultures treated women like chattel (the Celts, the Picts, and various African cultures didn't). I'm presuming, based on the conversation, that we're talking about Israel and its local contemporaries. What should have happened was, the rapist should have been punished, brutally, and the woman allowed to go on with her life. But that isn't what happened, and that's very strange considering the fact that God's views on the subject haven't changed. God is the same "yesterday, today, and tomorrow." But, mysteriously, women aren't treated the same as they were "yesterday" by God's followers.

Again, it's only 'progressive' to bash Christians.

Bashing? I think we can discuss specific issues without it rising to the level of "bashing." I.E. Saying "Christians are stupid" would be bashing. Comparing the actions of Christian institutions to the teachings of Christ would not be bashing. In fact . . . I'm not sure why Christians would object to that sort of comparison. It seems like it would be quite helpful.

I don't deal with many Muslims. In fact . . . I can't remember the last time I even talked to a Muslim. I'd be able to offer much more helpful commentary about Islam if I interacted with it on a daily basis. Plus the added fact that I'm very familiar with the Bible and very unfamiliar with the Koran, etc. Anyways. If you are well-versed in Islam please don't hesitate to show us why the extremists/terrorists are acting against the teachings of Mohammed.

You were just being constructive...I get it.

Benny, you must be unfamiliar with the old biblical tale of Jesus sending a bunny to give eggs to children. I bet that you don't know about Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer in the Old Testament either.

I don't know what point you're trying to make but it seems weak. Are those christian traditions in a biblical sense?

No one is justifying rape. In ancient times what would happen to that woman you tell me, you have all the answers, what would becomeof her in that time, do you have an answer? :hmmph

Are you asking what WOULD have happened or what SHOULD have happened? Further, are you talking specifically in the Levant and environs or in all cultures? Because not all Bronze Age cultures treated women like chattel (the Celts, the Picts, and various African cultures didn't). I'm presuming, based on the conversation, that we're talking about Israel and its local contemporaries. What should have happened was, the rapist should have been punished, brutally, and the woman allowed to go on with her life. But that isn't what happened, and that's very strange considering the fact that God's views on the subject haven't changed. God is the same "yesterday, today, and tomorrow." But, mysteriously, women aren't treated the same as they were "yesterday" by God's followers.

That is because Jesus is the new covenant, he changed everything, the old was washed away and he is the way , the truth ,the life.

What would have happened?

That is because Jesus is the new covenant, he changed everything, the old was washed away and he is the way , the truth ,the life.

You seem to easily lose track of the conversation. Let me help you. We were talking about Deuteronomy, not Jesus' time, or post-Jesus.

Deuteronomy 22:28–29??

If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay her father fifty shekels[c] of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

This doesn't even make sense, how do you compare the two? How does the old testament treat a woman as a slave? You found someone who has committted a crime and he has to marry her and support her the rest of his life. Isn't marrying her punishment enough. ZING!! The other religion treats their women no better than we treat our pets and most treat them worse.

What would have happened?

What are you asking?

What would have happened to that girl that was raped if they didn't make the man marry her? What would have happened to that girl in that era?

Which era? Jesus', or that covered by Deuteronomy? You've been changing eras throughout this conversation. Further, which culture? Israel and its contemporaries or "other?"

What would have happened to that girl that was raped if they didn't make the man marry her? What would have happened to that girl in that era? :dunno

I think that you're asking the wrong questions.

Probably because you can't answer that question. You don't know the culture or how she would have been treated had she been raped?

What would have happened to that girl that was raped if they didn't make the man marry her? What would have happened to that girl in that era?

Which era? Jesus', or that covered by Deuteronomy? You've been changing eras throughout this conversation. Further, which culture? Israel and its contemporaries or "other?"

Obviously Deuteronomy! What would have happened to that time when the text was written?

Obviously Deuteronomy! What would have happened to that time when the text was written?

Which culture? And don't say "obviously" because you skipped to another era mid-conversation, if you recall.