Catholic Church Cont'd

The difference is that while there may have been some Leaders of the church who committed brutal crimes, it wasn't every leader. Point to one communist country that hasn't oppressed and murdered their people. The very first rule of communism is to oppress the church. The second one is to take over the press for their propoganda. I don't see many churchs having state run TV and radio. I haven't seen any gulags, prison camps, or dissident prisons in the church. You bring up things that have happened nearly 500 years ago. The church has changed over that time, I hope you know!! :hmmph

How did you get on the discussion of trying to argue that a system of social organization/government can be more oppressive than the catholic church? You're the one who brought up communism in the first place! They're apples and oranges. I don't think anyone here is trying to say "But the governing body of the church is so much worse than any social/economic system ever developed!"

You were better off trying to argue how communism means the same thing as atheism!

The difference is that while there may have been some Leaders of the church who committed brutal crimes, it wasn't every leader. Point to one communist country that hasn't oppressed and murdered their people. The very first rule of communism is to oppress the church. The second one is to take over the press for their propoganda. I don't see many churchs having state run TV and radio. I haven't seen any gulags, prison camps, or dissident prisons in the church. You bring up things that have happened nearly 500 years ago. The church has changed over that time, I hope you know!! :hmmph

How did you get on the discussion of trying to argue that a system of social organization/government can be more oppressive than the catholic church? You're the one who brought up communism in the first place! They're apples and oranges. I don't think anyone here is trying to say "But the governing body of the church is so much worse than any social/economic system ever developed!"

You were better off trying to argue how communism means the same thing as atheism!

I just went off on a tangent, it happens to me every now and then!! :D

Like others have already said, Stalin was not an atheist in a philosophical sense, he was a megalomaniac that crushed any individual or group that was perceived as a threat to his power. The highest self reported rates of atheism in the world are in the Nordic countries, where for example only 1 in 10 Swedes find religion important at all in their life, and guess what? Sweden, Norway, Finland, and Denmark consistently rank near the top in government transparency, press freedom, and peacefulness.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_95axFonbwHw/TMgayLmai8I/AAAAAAAAIQ4/_ofRVlthldM/s1600/CPI_2006_Map_1024px.png

http://en.rsf.org/press-freedom-index-2011-2012,1043.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Peace_Index

Like others have already said, Stalin was not an atheist in a philosophical sense, he was a megalomaniac that crushed any individual or group that was perceived as a threat to his power. The highest self reported rates of atheism in the world are in the Nordic countries, where for example only 1 in 10 Swedes find religion important at all in their life, and guess what? Sweden, Norway, Finland, and Denmark consistently rank near the top in government transparency, press freedom, and peacefulness.

http://1.bp.blogspot..._Map_1024px.png

http://en.rsf.org/pr...-2012,1043.html

http://en.wikipedia....bal_Peace_Index

Plus . . . Swedish girls . . . :D

I'm glad that I can visit family over there.

http://1.bp.blogspot..._Map_1024px.png

http://en.rsf.org/pr...-2012,1043.html

http://en.wikipedia....bal_Peace_Index

You missed one thing, those govts. are not communist govts. where aethists can have sole power over the people. :wasted

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted Carl to know the church does do some good things. We went to several Easter egg hunts this weekend. The people were so nice we went to one that had feee face painting, popcorn, drinks and, or course, the Easter egg hunt. We went to another that was just as wonderful. My children had a great time and I wanted people to know the time and effort many people from the chruch put into the community, they also have Easter dinner and many other efforts during this special time for Christians. Maybe Carl can start to focus a little on the good that the Church does instead of focusing in on the wrong that a few Priests do. chuckleshuffle

I just wanted Carl to know the church does do some good things. We went to several Easter egg hunts this weekend. The people were so nice we went to one that had feee face painting, popcorn, drinks and, or course, the Easter egg hunt. We went to another that was just as wonderful. My children had a great time and I wanted people to know the time and effort many people from the chruch put into the community, they also have Easter dinner and many other efforts during this special time for Christians. Maybe Carl can start to focus a little on the good that the Church does instead of focusing in on the wrong that a few Priests do. chuckleshuffle

Face painting? Popcorn? Drinks? Easter eggs? Think of how many bowls of rice they could have fed the starving instead!!!!

;)

If they weren't so busy swimming in their vault full of riches, they'd realize Easter isn't until next Sunday.

If they weren't so busy swimming in their vault full of riches, they'd realize Easter isn't until next Sunday.

Don't lose your day job if you are trying to be witty. And who says they have to have an Easter egg hunt on Easter. All the Chruches around here have their Easter egg hunts on Palm sunday, there aren't any Easter egg hunts on Easter. :rolleyes:

It's a lot easier to pick a few things that the gross minority have done and make it the norm. Par for the course.

Don't lose your day job if you are trying to be witty. And who says they have to have an Easter egg hunt on Easter. All the Chruches around here have their Easter egg hunts on Palm sunday, there aren't any Easter egg hunts on Easter. :rolleyes:

Easter eggs? You pagan!

:P

Easter eggs? You pagan!

:P

I am not, my children are!! :lol: