Catholic Church Cont'd

What would have happened to that girl that was raped if they didn't make the man marry her? What would have happened to that girl in that era?

Which era? Jesus', or that covered by Deuteronomy? You've been changing eras throughout this conversation. Further, which culture? Israel and its contemporaries or "other?"

Obviously Deuteronomy! What would have happened to that time when the text was written?

Which culture? And don't say "obviously" because you skipped to another era mid-conversation, if you recall.

I have clarified now so what is your answer?

What would have happened to that girl that was raped if they didn't make the man marry her? What would have happened to that girl in that era?

Which era? Jesus', or that covered by Deuteronomy? You've been changing eras throughout this conversation. Further, which culture? Israel and its contemporaries or "other?"

Obviously Deuteronomy! What would have happened to that time when the text was written?

Which culture? And don't say "obviously" because you skipped to another era mid-conversation, if you recall.

I have clarified now so what is your answer?

You still haven't clarified. Israel? "Other?"

Again - reading is still fundamental after all these years.

When was deuteronmy written, who applies the old testament to their lives. Israel is the only answer that I know of. So it would be Israel in the time of deuteronomy. You should listen to your own advise (Reading is fundamental), I really hope you are just being coy, I hope you are smarter then you are letting on right now. :wasted

Probably because you can't answer that question.

No. Try again.

I don't have to try again it is you who need to show what would happen to the girl.

Why would I need to do that?

Me . . . well I'm more concerned with how to protect people from rape rather than wondering how they will be treated after they are raped. Your priorities are different.

When was deuteronmy written, who applies the old testament to their lives. Israel is the only answer that I know of. So it would be Israel in the time of deuteronomy. You should listen to your own advise (Reading is fundamental), I really hope you are just being coy, I hope you are smarter then you are letting on right now.

Sorry, Johnny, but I'm just trying to keep you afloat here.

So, what would have happened to the girl who was raped in approximately "Deuteronomy times" if they didn't make the man who raped her marry her? She would have been the responsibility of her father or eldest brother and lived with him in his household. Were this not possible her existence would have been similar to that of Esther - she would have eked out an existence gleaning grain from the harvested fields. Why? Because the "same yesterday, today and tomorrow" God of the Bible apparently told the men of that time to treat women that way.

Oddly enough, that "same yesterday, today and tomorrow" God of the Bible seems to have changed his mind today, and allows single women the right to work and earn a living on their own, without having to be the chattel of some male - especially not a male who raped her.

Bonus, huh?

Probably because you can't answer that question.

No. Try again.

I don't have to try again it is you who need to show what would happen to the girl.

Why would I need to do that?

Me . . . well I'm more concerned with how to protect people from rape rather than wondering how they will be treated after they are raped. Your priorities are different.

Usual bait and switch when losing an argument. You make that statement and it sounds like I am for rape how shallow and insincere is that. Do you really believe you car more aobut a woman being raped than me, you have some ego!! If you follow the text they are found and he has already raped her, what happens to the girl now? This is in Israel in the time of deuteronomy, whathappens what is your knowledge of the culture and the time?

When was deuteronmy written, who applies the old testament to their lives. Israel is the only answer that I know of. So it would be Israel in the time of deuteronomy. You should listen to your own advise (Reading is fundamental), I really hope you are just being coy, I hope you are smarter then you are letting on right now.

So, what would have happened to the girl who was raped in approximately "Deuteronomy times" if they didn't make the man who raped her marry her? She would have been the responsibility of her father or eldest brother and lived with him in his household. Were this not possible her existence would have been similar to that of Esther - she would have eked out an existence gleaning grain from the harvested fields. Why? Because the "same yesterday, today and tomorrow" God of the Bible apparently told the men of that time to treat women that way.

Oddly enough, that "same yesterday, today and tomorrow" God of the Bible seems to have changed his mind today, and allows single women the right to work and earn a living on their own, without having to be the chattel of some male - especially not a male who raped her.

Bonus, huh?

Knapplcy,

Exactly, she would have been homeless if she had no father or elder brother. Thank you, finally you came up with the answer you get a treat!! See I knew you could figure it out, of course, today is much better for women, the text was written how many years ago and man was much more of a patriarchal society.

Bonus, huh?

Knapplcy,

Exactly, she would have been homeless if she had no father or elder brother. Thank you, finally you came up with the answer you get a treat!! See I knew you could figure it out, of course, today is much better for women, the text was written how many years ago and man was much more of a patriarchal society.

So... you're saying it's better for her to have to live with her rapist than to be free to live on her own? Wow.

okay, let's say that that law was just. The law was just trying to look out for the raped girl by forcing her to marry her attacker. She needed saving!

Can we accept that and move on to Deuteronomy 22:21? If a woman is found not to be a virgin after being married. Say...for example...the original rape happened and she decided NOT to declare it. Because she didn't want to be forced to marry her attacker since she'd only be a burden on society...can we now stone her to death for not being a virgin?

It really is a Catch-22 for the woman.

Can you just agree that there some parts of your holy book that you find reprehensible?

Bonus, huh?

Knapplcy,

So... you're saying it's better for her to have to live with her rapist than to be free to live on her own? Wow.

I don't know what a woman of that time might think. Do you know how a Jewish woman during the time of Deuteronomy would think, you are amazing? Was she given the choice to live the rapist or did she have to go, you get back to me on that one?

Obvciuosly by our standards now that would be ludicrous.