The Independent voter

What changes do you see within the Democratic Party? That isn't a loaded question. I'm interested.

The Democrats have:

1. Embraced the lunatic fringe green movement. It's not that I think we should pollute the environment for kicks and giggles, it's just that in the 4.6 billion years of this planet our climate has shifted from hot to cold multiple times without any contributions from humans ala the internal combustion engine.

2. Worked to abolish the 2nd Amendment entirely and have ever so slowly chipped away at our rights to even own firearms.

3. Sought to remove "god" from every aspect of our society and culture. I'm not religious and I think praying to "god" is a waste of time but it doesn't bother in the least to walk into city hall or a school and see a copy of the ten commandants. I simply ignore such displays because my freedom from religion does not trump anyone else's right to practice. And if a majority of people want those ten commandments displayed then that's okay with me.

4. Ensured that the federal budget has increased every year, more social welfare programs are added, more people are covered with the goal, at least from where I'm sitting, to get every single person sucking on at least one governmental teat. I'm not against helping people but welfare should be a helping hand up not a permanent way of life.

5. Ruined our education system. Every year our kids seem to get dumber, test scores, graduation rates, and overall scholastic achievement especially in critical subjects like math and science is on a downward spiral.

http://www.huffingto...s_n_793185.html

6. Created a system where lazy deadbeats, and by this I mean the occupy crowd and those who have similar attitudes, think that they are owed a high paying job with a high six to seven figure salary with benefits. And if they don't get it then it is not their fault. It's because of the "evil" 1% who aren't taxed enough.

That's just a start of why I feel that the Democrats have left me.

I see. I don't think much of that is correct but if you believe it then your choice doesn't surprise me.

I have questions for you. Which party:

1. Openly supports and caters to every wacko "green" initiative?

2. Has members advocating nearly all "gun control" laws?

3. Actively works in conjunction with the ACLU to remove any mention of god from our culture?

4. Has the most members who want to increase the federal budget every year?

5. Owns the NEA/teacher's union? And our education system was well on the decline before No Child Left Behind.

6. Makes excuses for the occupiers? If most of the occupiers have jobs how do they camp out for months at a time?

I'm not saying there are not exceptions which go both ways, but clearly the bullet points I mentioned are far more applicable to people on the left than they ever are to those on the right.

1 - 'Green' is a bad thing? You need to read up on some history. Most people are not all that familiar with things like acid rain and smog alerts. And I have never understood why the side that loves hunting and fishing and the like the most tend to be the biggest opponents of having more places to enjoy, and making sure their grandchildren will be able to enjoy the same things.

The arguments that they are bad for business isn't quite true either. Don't just sit and listen to big oil or the coal or automotive industries. It wasn't that long ago the car companies swore up and down a car could not be made to go 100,000 miles before a scheduled tune-up, or that gas mileage could not get any better.

2 - The only 'gun control' laws I can even remember being brought up are the waiting period ones in order to background check, and the assault rifle ban. And I don't even remember when there has been laws being debated on it.

3 - You have confused 'culture' with 'government.' In fact the ACLU will go to bat for religion issues when its the state stepping on the individual.

4 - In order to keep services even you have to spend a bit more every year, inflation is going to effect Gov budgets too.

5 - Prior to NCLB the Federal Gov played a very small role in education, it was primarily a state issue. And some of the worst states (I'm looking at you Texas) for education are very red states. Sure the teachers union is tied to the Dems, the GOP would outlaw them.

6 - Other than you seem to be annoyed by the occupy people, I'm not sure what your point is. Sure they share some of the same opinions but otherwise...

• Fire 3

I will vote for Obama because he will represent the "least bad" of the legitimate candidates in the race. In '08,.

I think this all started with Jimmy Carter. We have had a long series of poor candidates for both parties and I think this has been caused by the primary system. You get a poor candidate into the early primaries and they pick up a little momentum and all of a sudden you have a candidate like Carter, Dukakis, Dole, ect., ect.

T_O_B

You're right carlfense, our schools didn't start declining until Bush's No Child Left Behind . . .

Where did I say that? Are you lying again?

Please cite the Democratic policies, laws, and regulations that led to the decline of our education system. Leave the vague allusions out, please.

Thanks.

When I said that democrats and liberals have ruined our education system you came back with the Bush's "No Child..." behind argument as a reason why our schools are failing. I pointed out that our schools were failing long before Bush's psuedo education plan.

This might be one of those moments when you should stop and think. You might even go back and read the thread.

Too funny. Thanks for being a caricature of what I expect from the right-wing extremists. :thumbs

Because I'm in a helpful mood I'll give you a giant hint: http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/58442-the-independent-voter/page__view__findpost__p__938098

Thanks for being a caricature of what I expect from the right-wing extremists. :thumbs

Right-wing extremist? :blink:

Do you even have any idea what a right wing "extremist" really is or are you merely one of those who reflexively label anyone who disagrees with you as such?

You're right. Extremist is probably not accurate. Perhaps "mainstream 2012 Republican" is more apt.

Did you take a moment to gather your wits? Read the thread? Etc?

Hopefully you've got it all straightened out now. Did you get around to thinking of the Democratic laws, policies, and regulations that contributed to the decline?